*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
no way in hell rangers trade blalock,  IIRC hes signed for a few years at a very cheap price. that being said, if they for some reason do decide to shop him, i would in a second give up Bmac, Anderson, Crede and pretty much whomever else they wanted, lol. Blalock is just an awesome player and young as hell, less than 25 i think.

He does K a lot though, and thats something I hate in players who K a whole lot.... And he isnt that good vs lefties... but yeah id sell the farm for Blalock but my friend who is a rangers fan lets me know that basicly they keeping there core together.... It would prob take a major league pitcher to get him. And if that was the case id rather have Tex whose natural position is 3B I think....

I've made this post at least a dozen times, and even shown the stats, HE HAS NEVER HAD AN OPS OF .900 IN A SEASON YET HE GETS PAID LIKE A SLUGGER. :chair

Chavez has a higher career OBP and SLG than Konerko. I would also value Chavez's defense and speed more than Paulie's. I would rather spend $10 million on Chavez than $10 million on Konerko.

Edited by Jabroni

Chavez is 28

Chavez has 167 HR

Chavez has 566 RBI

Chavez has 189 2B

Chavez has a .350 OBP

Chavez has a .273 AVG

Crede is 27

Crede has 57 HR

Crede has 207 RBI

Crede has 76 2B

Crede has a .302 OBP

Crede has a .253 AVG

hmm that whole thing about crede being better... im not too sure.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Chavez has a higher career OBP and SLG than Konerko's.  I would also value Chavez' defense and speed more than Paulie's.  I would rather spend $10 million on Chavez than $10 million on Konerko.

In an instant, and you better believe that Pauly's new contact is going to be right there along with what Chavez will be making, especially considering that they are making THE SAME AMOUNT this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
I wouldn't consider trading for Chavez until he shows some more power this season.  In today's steroid testing environment, his slugging percentage is one of the most shocking statistic.......was he on the juice?

I think it was a couple of people around him that were on the juice, buts its possible...of course it could be the worst hitting lineup around him that could also be a part of it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
thank you, i didnt even realize we were going to argue Chavez vs. Crede, come on.

I don't think anyone is arguing Chavez vs. Crede, more like Chavez vs. Chavez's salary.

I'm with some others here, I'd like to see him turn it around before investing that much money and prospects it would take to make a trade happen.

He's hitting .218 with no power? Seems fishy to me.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
Chavez is 28

Chavez has 167 HR

Chavez has 566 RBI

Chavez has 189 2B

Chavez has a .350 OBP

Chavez has a .273 AVG

Crede is 27

Crede has 57 HR

Crede has 207 RBI

Crede has 76 2B

Crede has a .302 OBP

Crede has a .253 AVG

Thus far this season, Chavez has put up worse numbers than Crede for a hell of a lot more money.

If Chavez proves to me that he can come back from this terrible start (which he hasn't done yet), then I'll shut my mouth and not complain even if McCarthy becomes trade bait.

But I cannot understand the logic of trading for a guy who looks like he has jumped off of a cliff and who is being paid $10 mil a year to do it.

We'll pay the same price for him whether or not he turns it around, because of his career numbers. I say wait and see if he has a good June. If he does not, then that means he will have had 3 straight months of being a $10 million Joe Crede. Would you trade for that?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
see: Paul Konerko

Konerko is finishing up his contract at $8.75 million, and has batted over .288 (Chavez's best season) 3 times.

I don't want Konerko back next year, and I don't want Chavez's overpaid ass for the next three years either. :angry:

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
Chavez is 28

Chavez has 167 HR

Chavez has 566 RBI

Chavez has 189 2B

Chavez has a .350 OBP

Chavez has a .273 AVG

Crede is 27

Crede has 57 HR

Crede has 207 RBI

Crede has 76 2B

Crede has a .302 OBP

Crede has a .253 AVG

Crede is not better. Chavez is big time! But the contract thing worries me. KW loves flexibility- he also wants to re-sign Pauly, AJ and Jon G to extensions- wouldn't acquirering Chavez prevent that? But damn- having Chavez would be sweet as hell. We have to remember its still June 1st, he WILL get his average up, esspecially if he wants out of Oakland this year.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
We have to remember its still June 1st, he WILL get his average up, esspecially if he wants out of Oakland this year.

How exactly do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he will?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Thus far this season, Chavez has put up worse numbers than Crede for a hell of a lot more money.

If Chavez proves to me that he can come back from this terrible start (which he hasn't done yet), then I'll shut my mouth and not complain even if McCarthy becomes trade bait.

But I cannot understand the logic of trading for a guy who looks like he has jumped off of a cliff and who is being paid $10 mil a year to do it.

We'll pay the same price for him whether or not he turns it around, because of his career numbers.  I say wait and see if he has a good June.  If he does not, then that means he will have had 3 straight months of being a $10 million Joe Crede.  Would you trade for that?

some guys have slumps every now and then. as someone else said: SEE PAUL KONERKO

Chavez will break out of it

Whatevr we do I just hope to god we dont resign Konerko. He seems like he is a nice guy and everything but I hate watching him. His fielding isnt bad but 2 bad he has like the smallest range of AL 1B.... Than he is so damn slow and watching him hit and change his batting stance every week :puke .... not 2 mention calling out players in the papers and being a double play machine.

Say no to Konerko.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Chavez will break out of it

Are you guys willing to bet 4 losing seasons by the Sox that he will? Because if he doesn't snap out of it...if it is some sort of real problem, that would be the end result.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Whatevr we do I just hope to god we dont resign Konerko.  He seems like he is a nice guy and everything but I hate watching him.  His fielding isnt bad but 2 bad he has like the smallest range of AL 1B....  Than he is so damn slow and watching him hit and change his batting stance every week  :puke .... not 2 mention calling out players in  the papers and being a double play machine.

Say no to Konerko.

i hate reading stuff like this. this is a guy who has really carried this team for the last few years and he's a great guy. he's in a slump, ok, we know how that works. but he's also got talent and he works hard. this wont be 2003 again.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Are you guys willing to bet 4 losing seasons by the Sox that he will?  Because if he doesn't snap out of it...if it is some sort of real problem, that would be the end result.

do you know that without a shadow of a doubt? :finger

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)

We'll pay the same price for him whether or not he turns it around, because of his career numbers.  I say wait and see if he has a good June.  If he does not, then that means he will have had 3 straight months of being a $10 million Joe Crede.  Would you trade for that?

If you think for a second, that a guy with his career numbers would regress at age 28 to what Joe Crede has done, think again. Chavez is usually a slow starter in the first few months of the season.

3-year splits

April .256 .355 .534 .889

May .257 .340 .459 .799

June .274 .338 .543 .881

July .297 .389 .506 .895

August .310 .393 .596 .989

Sept .264 .352 .418 .770

his BA flutuates a bit, but his power numbers, OBP stay close to the same. I would say a change to our lineup on this team in this stadium is exactly what the doctor ordered, not to mention he is an improvement defensively and adds a left handed bat.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
i hate reading stuff like this.  this is a guy who has really carried this team for the last few years and he's a great guy.  he's in a slump, ok, we know how that works.  but he's also got talent and he works hard.  this wont be 2003 again.

Since I'm ragging on Chavez's ability to come out of a slump, I feel it only fair to fire the same question your way.

Right Now Konerko has decided he wants to be a pull hitter and is out in front of almost everything. When he connects, it can fly a long way...but when he misses it, it becomes a double play or a foul ball. Paul has shown no indication he wants to try to shorten his swing, stay with a pitch, or drive something the other way.

So I ask you, what reason do you have to think that this won't be another 2003 for Paulie?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
i hate reading stuff like this.  this is a guy who has really carried this team for the last few years and he's a great guy.  he's in a slump, ok, we know how that works.  but he's also got talent and he works hard.  this wont be 2003 again.

When has he ever carried the team?... in 2003 he totally sucked.. in 2004 He helped but Carlos Lee and Rowand were better offensively and he is hitting like .223 this year... the reason for the RBI's is because Iguchi and Pods have been so dynamite leading off not because he has been good.

Pauly has never carried the team, and like I said he seems like a nice guy but he isnt nice enough to pay him 10 million. Borchard works hard too should he be a starter for us too?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Whatevr we do I just hope to god we dont resign Konerko.  He seems like he is a nice guy and everything but I hate watching him.  His fielding isnt bad but 2 bad he has like the smallest range of AL 1B....  Than he is so damn slow and watching him hit and change his batting stance every week  :puke .... not 2 mention calling out players in  the papers and being a double play machine.

Say no to Konerko.

Paul Konerko is in a slump but still his power numbers are there arnt they?