The Official Soxfest Thread

aboz56

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
It was a headband.. not a hat. And I'm sorry.. but that was not even close to as hysterical as someone having to have EMS called on them cause they couldn't handle their liquor...  :rolly

Don't try to make the story worse than it really is.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
It was a headband.. not a hat. And I'm sorry.. but that was not even close to as hysterical as someone having to have EMS called on them cause they couldn't handle their liquor...  :rolly

Very true. And thank goodness for White Palace runs where we turn a normal car into a clown car :)

How we manged to fit everyone I still don't know, but it was worth it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Very true.  And thank goodness for White Palace runs where we turn a normal car into a clown car :)

How we manged to fit everyone I still don't know, but it was worth it.

4 stick people and 4 regular sized people in a Honda Civic made for no more then 5... good times, good times... :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
I don't think we have anything... I'll check though.

Don't bother unless you find something that can be folded up and put in a bag or backpack.. can't bring a cooler in to the fest. We'll just have to drink them before they get warm.. LOL. :cheers

QUOTE(easyw @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
I'll be at the bar friday night.

I'll be wearing the old school Alan Bannister #7 home uni (with shorts!) from 1976!

Kidding of course.

But I will be there. But I'm not going to wear a ball player costume.

Good thing, I was starting to think that maybe the "w" in your screen name stood for Woo-Woo.

:P

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Don't bother unless you find something that can be folded up and put in a bag or backpack.. can't bring a cooler in to the fest. We'll just have to drink them before they get warm.. LOL.  :cheers

But you can brink drinks into the fest?? Not beer obviously, but pops and stuff to wait in line?? I have a cooler bookbag that I was gonna bring anyways... Have a fun weekend everyone, I hope to bump into some of y'all. I'll be the one looking for the Timo Perez line. I hope to get down there no later than 2:00 today. :gosox3:

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
But you can brink drinks into the fest?? Not beer obviously, but pops and stuff to wait in line?? I have a cooler bookbag that I was gonna bring anyways... Have a fun weekend everyone, I hope to bump into some of y'all.  I'll be the one looking for the Timo Perez line.  I hope to get down there no later than 2:00 today. :gosox3:

No, you can't bring them in. You must finish them before you enter. But you can drink in line while waiting.

Timo will be in the bar after 9 tonight with JD. Look for the one doing all the shots of something called 41 (I think that's what it's called).

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
No, you can't bring them in. You must finish them before you enter. But you can drink in line while waiting.

Timo will be in the bar after 9 tonight with JD. Look for the one doing all the shots of something called 41 (I think that's what it's called).

LOl I bet Timo could hold his booze. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure anyone that has tickets is at the Fest right now and this is a shot in the dark, but...

If anyone has a pair for either tomorrow or Sunday, I'd gladly take them off your hands. Plans changed and I'll be in town this weekend. I've contacted a couple of people on here that had some, but hadn't heard back yet. Thanks!

I have two tickets for both Saturday and Sunday....I just got home from tonights and found out I have to go out of town due to an emergency first thing tomorrow morning. SAT and SUN seperately are 80 per day...if you buy both days the price is $150 for the pair. LET ME KNOW ASAP! Also you must be willing to pick up in East Lakeview....Sheridan and Diversey.

I was at Soxfest and can tell you KW reiterated he is not going to trade Contreras for a position player. KW also seems satisfied by the dopes he has competing for the 2nd LH reliever role. I'm going back tomorrow and may ask him if Urbina gets out of jail, if he would be interested in bringing him in. For all those wondering about a potential upper deck in RF, the so-called "home-run porch", that idea has been put to rest. Other than that, the q and a's where pretty much thank you's and softball questions, which is very understandable.

I was at Soxfest and can tell you KW reiterated he is not going to trade Contreras for a position player. KW also seems satisfied by the dopes he has competing for the 2nd LH reliever role. I'm going back tomorrow and may ask him if Urbina gets out of jail, if he would be interested in bringing him in.  For all those wondering about a potential upper deck in RF, the so-called "home-run porch", that idea has been put to rest. Other than that, the q and a's where pretty much thank you's and softball questions, which is very understandable.

Great stuff. :D

Keep the inside info coming. I'd like to hear more.

Edited by SSH2005

Sox Fest didn't have that spark with the Kenny Williams seminar, everything was too perfect. We had nothing to criticize about this year. I thought the best seminar was the Anderson/McCarthy one. I asked Anderson who throws harder him or B-mac? He said that Brandon is the better pitcher, but he has the better arm and B-Mac knows it.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I got home a little bit ago and I thought the whole event was poorly set up. I mean waiting over 2 hours just to get into down the stairs to get to where they took tickets was a joke. Then once you actually made it in there all of the lines for the early signings were already blocked off because each player was only signing a couple hundred autographs. I mean several thousand people were there and they had what 6 players on hand to sign for 400 - 500 people. Great...that takes care of 3000 people at the most. What are the other 4000 + supposed to do?

And since it took 2 + hours to get in, there was no way you were going to experience any part of the opening ceremony. Why couldn't they place audio and video equipment out where the lines were so everyone could experience it? Or better yet, have it in a place that will hold everyone who wanted to be there for it. They knew how many tickets they sold, so they knew how many people they had to account for. And why the hell did they open the doors so late? You know it's a huge crowd, so open the doors 2 hours early to let everyone in BEFORE things get started. Not so people miss over an hour because they are stuck in the line to get in. And when I got there there were 3 ticket takers. For 7000+ people?!?!?

And the signage was terrible. I had no idea that there was a bunch of stuff going on downstairs. We just happened to wander down and saw all of that stuff. How about a map telling you what was in each place. Yes they gave you a sheet that said player X would be on stage 3, but where the hell is stage 3?

And you would think they would get with their sponsors and get together a "goody bag" of Sox stuff to give out as they took your tickets. It's a fan convention, so maybe they should cater to the fans a little more.

And IMO, all of the players should be required to be in attendance each day and have all of them signing at 15 different stations, not 4. Rotate them in and out all day/night long. Keep the lines moving and take care of every one, not just those who happened to be one of the first ones in line.

I guess I just expected more out of Soxfest than what I got out of it. It's a first class organ-I-zation, but they didn't put on a championship event.

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
I got home a little bit ago and I thought the whole event was poorly set up.  I mean waiting over 2 hours just to get into down the stairs to get to where they took tickets was a joke.  Then once you actually made it in there all of the lines for the early signings were already blocked off because each player was only signing a couple hundred autographs.  I mean several thousand people were there and they had what 6 players on hand to sign for 400 - 500 people.  Great...that takes care of 3000 people at the most.  What are the other 4000 + supposed to do? 

And since it took 2 + hours to get in, there was no way you were going to experience any part of the opening ceremony.  Why couldn't they place audio and video equipment out where the lines were so everyone could experience it?  Or better yet, have it in a place that will hold everyone who wanted to be there for it.  They knew how many tickets they sold, so they knew how many people they had to account for.  And why the hell did they open the doors so late?  You know it's a huge crowd, so open the doors 2 hours early to let everyone in BEFORE things get started.  Not so  people miss over an hour because they are stuck in the line to get in.  And when I got there there were 3 ticket takers.  For 7000+ people?!?!?     

And the signage was terrible.  I had no idea that there was a bunch of stuff going on downstairs.  We just happened to wander down and saw all of that stuff.  How about a map telling you what was in each place.  Yes they gave you a sheet that said player X would be on stage 3, but where the hell is stage 3? 

And you would think they would get with their sponsors and get together a "goody bag" of Sox stuff to give out as they took your tickets.  It's a fan convention, so maybe they should cater to the fans a little more. 

And IMO, all of the players should be required to be in attendance each day and have all of them signing at 15 different stations, not 4.  Rotate them in and out all day/night long.  Keep the lines moving and take care of every one, not just those who happened to be one of the first ones in line.

I guess I just expected more out of Soxfest than what I got out of it.  It's a first class organ-I-zation, but they didn't put on a championship event.

Welcome to Sox Fest my friend. Those were my exact thoughts the one and only year I attended. It's a racket that caters only to those who spend the loot to stay at the hotel for the weekend.

I just got back from my first and last SoxFest.

There is a difference between "fans" and "fanatics".

It was creepy. really creepy. These people carrying around stuffed Sox bears, seeking autographs, and coming up with their own long lists for stadium improvements aren't normal.

I need to take a shower.