Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Oh Imus...
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:18 PM) So, for the people who are genuinely pissed off about this...I want an answer to a simple question. What positive thing does Don Imus and this sort of talk bring to our nation or its discourse? I just read back through this thread, and almost every argument out there was that "Oh, Mr. Imus isn't as bad as x" where x is Al Sharpton, rap artists, the PC police, the media, whatever. So, let's say for a moment that I don't care about where each one's problems fit on your personal value scale. I don't care whether you think hip-hop artists do worse, whether or not Jesse Jackson's affair is worse, or whether or not this was the worst thing said on the Radio this week (I'm sure Beck, Savage, and a few others top it every 5 minutes). Tell me what positive thing he contributed such that I should be saddened by the loss of his show. Give me something other than the ol "Oh he did it too!" and I'll consider being mad about this. Until then, I will continue to think that in some small way, our nation just was improved. So as long as something improves the nation its OK? You can't be serious. It doesn't matter whether he contributes something positive or not. Heck spying on Americans can catch terrorists, and not having American die is positive right? So you are cool with giving up your freedoms of privacy and speech then?
-
I Hate Him!
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:38 PM) To a lesser degree Greg Walker and Don Cooper. Guillen insures that Walker and Cooper still have jobs.
-
I Hate Him!
Ozzie Guillen, Scott Podsednik, and George W Bush. Pretty much any problem you can think is one of their faults.
-
Jesus documentary
A new update... http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...rticle/ShowFull
-
Oh Imus...
QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:13 PM) What discrimination against white people would that be? Reverse discrimination is still discrimination.
-
Prosecutors drop charges in Duke case
QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:49 PM) The biggest curse is the lingering thoughts of victims who may not come forward and prosecutors that may not prosecute. I am more inclined to throw the book at the stripper and possibly taking a more cautious look at the DA. Well that's what happens when you put the victim on trial instead of the defendants. Its why rape cases are the most underreported major crime category, and also the least successful one at trial.
-
Oh Imus...
QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 11:09 AM) Well, regardless of the supposed "double standards," the comments were still racist, sexist, and offensive. No matter how many rappers or comedians people will claim say it (yet I've never, ever heard a rapper refer to black people as "monkeys"), what he said and has said still is wrong. It's still not an excuse. But in this situation, I find the "reverse discrimination" and "double standards" arguments laughable because it isn't until an old white guy is vilified for his comments that there's a sudden outcry about rap lyric content. All of a sudden, there's a rush to find valid reasoning as to why it's OK for him to say those types of things. It was a direct attack on the girls on the rutgers team, regardless of what music they listen to or what comedians say. Why try to make excuses when it was just plain wrong? And "reverse discrimination" is the best because white people largely benefit from double standards enough as it is. Is it really necessary to also make it completely socially acceptable for white people to tell black jokes now? Now, that I can basically agree with. So now you need to cry about racism every single day for your point to be valid on reverse racism or double standards? That doesn't really make much sense. What Imus said was stupid, and I'm sure not argueing its not. But it totally invalidates a movement when the leaders of it are hypocrites. If you want to convince me that Jesse and Al really want to improve race relations, I just once want to see them reach accross the aisle when someone screws up and do what Jesus would have done. Forgive, aid, and educate. Funny I don't remember Jesus calling for Pontius Pilate to be fired, for condeming him to death. I don't remember Jesus turning out the prosititue for her actions... I think that race relations would go a lot further in this country if the effort was towards mending fences instead of finding who to blame for the broken fences. Do you really think the discriminating against white people is going to make things better? All you do then is breed contempt and hate again. Everytime you draw a line between you and me, you just make it easier to reenforce the racism that exsists in this country, even if it is for a seemingly good purpose.
-
Road Trip
I don't know how much of a say the Indians will have left. Plus there gets to be a point where you have to look past the single game revenues, and wonder if this is going to hurt the team in a division they have a real chance at winning. 6-7 make up games over the rest of the season could concievably cost them a chance at the division. We all have seen that Indians fans are huge bandwagon fans and won't show up if their team is out of it. If they blow the season because of make up game issues, (injuries, having to start AAA pitchers etc) they will lose more revenue in the long run, versus losing a couple/ three games worth of April revenues now.
-
Oh Imus...
Explain how it is invalid or wrong.
-
Soxtalk.com banner
The revolving banner was a huge query hog. It isn't coming back.
-
Prosecutors drop charges in Duke case
I am looking forward to Al Sharpton's apology to the Duke players.
-
If you were GM of an expansion franchise and could have
Hernadez, Verlander, and Sizemore would be my three. You have superstar players, with low salaries who aren't going anywhere for a long time.
-
LOST! thread
It also makes me go back and wonder about the surgery that Jack did on Ben, and how much of the thing about Juliet trying to get Jack to kill Ben was a set up or not. Damn this show is so well written!
-
2007 AL Central Catch-All Thread
Nothing would make me happier than for Johan Santana to hit the open market
-
LOST! thread
I have learned one thing... never ever doubt Sayid.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(shipps @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:01 PM) Has anyone gone to the Body works exhibit?It looks to be pretty interesting. I haven't been to the new version, but the old one was incredible. I totally recommmend it to anyone who has an interest in going.
- RIP Kurt Vonnegut
-
Oh Imus...
Race issues are every so much fun, they really bring out the hypocracy of the race card in America. Think about this for a second, the two people who are most publically leading the charge against Imus, are two notorious racists themselves. Jackson and Sharpton both are on record as having said racist statements against Jews, but look at what they do now... They both lead religious and race-based organizations. Why aren't they willing to resign their positions to show how much they believe that racism is always wrong? Why isn't anyone really calling for them to do exactly what they are asking of Imus? If you stop and look at the way the situation is being handled, its a part of the reason that racism still simmers in the US. You would expect people someone leading a religious organization to offering forgiveness to someone who has publically apologized on many occasions, and is asking to meet with the people he directly hurt, to apologize to them in person as well. You would also think that someone who is the leader of a race based organization to be trying to use this as an educational opportunity to address the latent racism that still exsists today in American society, by reaching out to someone like Imus and trying to make an example that the only way to overcome stereotypes and hate is through education. Instead they are totally both focused on the punative aspect of things. Its this hypocracy and double standard that totally invalidates the legitimacy of organizations like the ones Jackson and Sharpton run with a lot of America. Until you stop drawing lines in the sand, and become consistant on this issue, nothing is going to change.
-
Road Trip
FWIW, Milwaukee is a great place to see a ballgame, especially for $10.
-
Contreras Rumor
Ah, I await the apologies to Mrs Contreras...
-
LOST! thread
QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:17 PM) That episode is a series classic. What if Sawyer impregnated Kate...? ooh, good thought. That would be right up the show's alley, because now they have to find the others again and give Kate to them to keep her alive. QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:41 PM) They kind of gave away the ending halfway through the episdoe by naming the airport they took Juliet to "Herarat Aviation". Nice catch dude! I didn't even pay attention Also on the rest of the episode, that was awesome. Is there seriously any better character on TV than Ben Linus? He is incredible. I can't wait to see what happens in a "week" that involves the gasmask that Juliet got.
-
American Idol
The bottom 3 were no surprise when you saw how they were laid out, and there was no surprise with who they sent back, and who was voted off. Getting rid of Haley was a good move. You can tell the show is all of the sudden changed their tune and is totally playing into the Sanjaya thing. I really don't think there is a bigger whore of a TV show in America, than American Idol.
-
White Sox vs. A's, 4/11/07 (W)
QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:54 PM) That ball Piazza hit was crushed, but he was forced to throw one over the plate as he had two very questionable ball calls and that was that... Get Masset up. If Buehrle isn't getting calls, what is Massett going to do that is different? That really contradicts itself.
-
White Sox vs. A's, 4/11/07 (W)
Damn I don't need Hawk to be a homer, all I have to do is listen to the strike zone discriptions here@!
-
White Sox vs. A's, 4/11/07 (W)
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:50 PM) No. Jimbo is high. Now it all makes sense!