Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
The Biology of B rate movies.
http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/
-
The Astrodome Hotel?
I'd check it out if we ever get down there again... I remember watching Nolan Ryan pitch there as a kid. It was strange to watch baseball indoors.
-
Bobby Jenks' entrance music
So was the radar gun accurate last night? I ask because I don't think I saw Jenks hit above 93 mph all night, plus his curveball didn't look nearly as sharp. Any chance we are looking at Bobby with a dead arm?
-
Croc Hunter Steve Irwin Dies
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...oadcast_1007314 Irwin's family is trying to get the tape of Steve's death broadcast, saying he would have wanted it that way.
-
Parent brawl at football game
QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:27 AM) The only thought I have positive towards that dad, is he just watched his son get slammed by that very late hit. There is no positive to a grown man hitting a 13 year old kid.
-
Anyone remember France denying flyovers?
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:45 AM) Seems to me they alread have grown some balls, and thus are doing what they are doing. I'm willing to bet they aren't letting any Syrian, Iranian or other Middle Eastern national aircraft with military cargo through either. Given the French records on stuff like this, they are probably selling it to them instead.
-
Pointless Facts
Ben and Jerry originally wanted to go into business selling bagels.
-
Pointless Facts
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:28 AM) I would bet that it's possible to find a finite unit of time where there is actually no raindrop hitting the ground anywhere on earth. You just have to subdivide the units of time far enough. http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_cause...ecipitation.htm
-
Pointless Facts
For the pessimists out there... It is always raining somewhere on planet Earth.
-
Chicago, My Kind of Town
QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 09:13 AM) For the book I'm going to have to go with The House on Mango Street (by Sandra Cisneros). And honorary mention to A Raison in the Sun which, although a play, is a great piece of literature. And no Untouchables for the movie? Every time I travel abroad and people find out I'm from Chicago, that's always the first question. . . OOh, good call on The Untouchables. I totally forgot about that somehow.
-
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TEXSOX
QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 08:15 AM) Happy birthday Tex! And why are we hiding this in here, did the thread starter have a senior moment too? Ssh. don't wake him up!
-
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TEXSOX
Damn, too bad we can't make the print bigger, at his age, he might not be able to read the thread title!
-
Chicago, My Kind of Town
Uh they messed up a couple of things.... First of all, you can't talk about world famous Chicago food, and leave out the Chicago style hotdog until buried at the end. Chicago is way more famous for its dog, vs its BBQ. Just remember, if you are not from Chicago, it is really frowned upon to ask for ketchup on a dog. Second, its not the "magic" mile, its the "magnificent" mile. Third the South Loop is awesome and has undergone a huge revival in the last 10 years. Property values have skyrocketed, and many of the rundown buildings have been replaced by 6-7 figure condos.
-
Chicago, My Kind of Town
Wayne's World=Aurora Besides there can be no vote except for the Blues Brothers
-
Devil Rays @ Sox - August 31 Game Thread
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 01:36 PM) What happened? I am following gameday. Uribe doubled, Gload thrown out on a close play at home for the third out.
-
Devil Rays @ Sox - August 31 Game Thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 01:17 PM) Farmer gave Podsednik a lecture before yesterday's game about how he needed to get on base because when he gets on base the team wins. Pods wouldn't talk to Farmer today. No offense to the great Farmio and all, but duh? I think Pods knows he is supposed to be getting on base.
-
High Speed Internet
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 12:29 PM) You all don't have Comcast? *GASP*!... BTW, I don't work for Comcast anymore. TWX merger, or good news?
-
High Speed Internet
I have ameritech DSL.
-
How to help people
QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:36 AM) I agree with you on the premise but wouldn't absolute power be more likely in a six person relief organization? What power can you have in a six person relief group?
-
Jimbo's in danger of closing!!!
QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:32 AM) yeah... I'm 26, so you had a couple years on me. Your story is interesting to me though. Every time I ever heard a story about McCuddy's people always bring up that the players used to go there after games. Its actually kind of wierd to think that guys from the team would just cross the street and have a couple beers. That doesn's seem to happen nowadays. I think more than anything guys get sick of being hounded. They just want to kick back and have a beer like everyone else, and that gets harder the more popular things get. Soxfest over the years is a great example of that. There used to be everyone who came to the Big Bar to hang out at night. I remember seeing guys like Big Frank down there and everything. This year, there was such a mob, basically no one wanted to be out there, as they wouldn't have gotten a second of peace.
-
How to help people
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:31 AM) So you're saying that the small organizations are more likely to be corrupt? I'd say our experience in the last 10 years or so shows exactly the opposite...that the large organizations, i.e. corporations, governments, the U.N., are much more likely to be corrupt, as they are big enough to be able to cover up the things they're doing. The oil-for-food program turned corrupt because it was a gigantic program which, while it saved a lot of lives, also was moving around billions of dollars, and with that kind of cash flow, it's easy to steer a few million in business one way in exchange for a few million in bribes. The corporations working in Iraq have done the same things...they work in so many places and move around such huge amounts of cash that if they overcharge the government for $50 million and do a shoddy job on a few other projects...unless there's an auditor monitoring all of the work they do (which there isn't), the company makes out like gangbusters. I gotta go with Balta on this one... absolute power corrupts absolutely. There are more likely to be the tempations that would cause corruption in a bigger organization, vs a smaller one. There is also probably a more intimate connection to the cause, which would lead to being less likely to steal from it.
-
Jimbo's in danger of closing!!!
QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:11 AM) I heard Brandmeier on the radio this morning trying to get that immigrant lady shacked up in that church to move her base to Jimbo's... to try and keep it from closing. funny stuff I always thought that somebody wanting to make a fortune would re-open another McCuddy's by the ballpark. It was never old enough to go in there, but I remember walking by and it always was jammed. When the sox were talking about opening beer tents outside the field to give comiskey that neighborhood feel, they should have just built a big bar and called it McCuddy's. Actually, they should still do that. I'm sure it would make a fortune. lol. That made me laugh. I can't tell you how many times I was in there... I still have a John Cangelosi autograph from when I met him there... BTW I am turning 33 in December.
-
Pointless Facts
QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:04 AM) Thinking about it, The Who were more an album band than a singles band. BTW, easily my favorite band. Tommy is about the only non-Beatles album that ranks near the top of my list of best albums of all time.
-
Diversity poll
QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 09:35 AM) Simple solution for that. If watching TV shows from the 1950s has taught me anything, forums devoted to cleaning and cooking should bring in a swarm of women. Hmmm maybe we need to rename this, Sex, Lies, and Oprah?
-
Diversity poll
QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:31 AM) African American's comprise 13% of the United States population yet only 4% of Soxtalk? Unacceptable. If this website were a legitimate company it'd have to diversify itself. not to mention the 43-3 male to female ratio!