Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Anything up for Friday's Cubs vs Sox game?
I got a funny feeling about this weekend. This has classic over confident vs nothing to lose written all over it. I really hope this series does not wake up the Cubs, giving them the movitation they are severely lacking right now.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
Nice work to come back and split the series after being down 2 games to none and trailing by 4 runs in the third game
-
music
QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:11 AM) What probably worked was the fact that the only member I ever heard of in that group that suffered from a rotten ego was Jeff Lynne. But when faced with who he was playing alongside, any ego would be quited I would think. I mean, there you stand next to Roy and George, how can you possibly have an ego with those two in the same studio??? Not to mention Bob Dylan and Tom Petty...
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:37 PM) Marginal Revolution...for the win! http://www.mercatus.org/article.php/1690.html Do they create their own land too? QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:52 PM) Do they create their own land too? Also they make the assumption AGAIN that as legal immigrants they will still get paid a static wage. There will be no more illegals working for sub-minimum wage when/if they are made legal. It blows the cornerstone out of this guys arguement about keeping prices down.
- What are the Odds?
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:38 PM) Right, including you and me. And I look at illegal vs legal this way. And I know you will be one of these that will at least understand my point, although you may or may not agree. There are some laws that are Biblical in nature. Murder, stealing, etc. Those are wrong, have been forever. Then there are things that are only illegal because some folks in Washington say they are wrong. Is it illegal for an 20-year old to drink? That changes based on where on this planet you are standing. I don't see any Biblical guidance in immigration, so we have to do what is right for the majority. I also want to do what is right for America first. Our disagreement is what is right for America and what is an acceptable method to combat the "crime" that is created with our laws. Someone walks from point A to point B. Is it legal? Again, that depends on what someone in Washington decides. We decide what is legal and illegal immigration. We could decide to throw open the border and call that legal. That would be a disaster, we all agree. So the debate is what should be legal and what should be illegal. I believe in allowing as many as can support themselves, with a program that would offer citizenship based on a set criteria. I also believe that would do enough to solve this problem and that a wall and turning my backyard into a military zone is unnecessary. I agree with you 100% on that. But, from seeing major operations getting busted down here, we should make stopping CONTROLLED, illegal immigration our first priority. And some did mention deporting all the legals. You know enforce the law and all that. Getting to the food, the problem is as we plow up close to urban center farmland, we are not creating far from urban center farmland. It isn't that we don't have the land, it is farmers are selling out and quiting the industry because over seas production is cheaper and year round, especially in South America. Does that make sense? The other issue is the mega-corporate owed farms are not planting the diversity of crops that happened with smaller, less centralized agriculture. The gamble is these crops are not vulnerable to a specific disease. Again deporting all illegals is very different than stopping all immigration. No one has called for stopping immigration. You are lumping it all together when it is apples and oranges.
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:02 PM) Would you then slow the economic growth and the hot economy creating jobs? That to me is the central theme. We are creating these low end jobs, your solution seems to always be Americans, at some higher salary, will suddenly want to be yardmen, bus boys, and migrant workers. I don't see it. I don't see someone growing up in America, attending school, deciding on a manual labor job. I do see immigrants accepting that role to provide a better life for their children. As parents, we all know the sacrifices we would make for our children. I agree 100%. I am all for only allowing those immigrants who can support themselves and their families to immigrate. That should be part of the guest worker program. No jobs, no immigration. Ah, having our cake and eating it too I see. Where exactly should we keep putting people, without plowing under farm land? Higher highrises? Also how are we going to feed more people, with less farmland, meanwhile importing less food and growing more of our own. Sounds like a little self-contradictory to me. QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:16 PM) Most people ... Most ... want to stop illegal immigration, not just immigration. MOST don't want to stop immigration. They want to stop UNCONTROLED, ILLEGAL immigration. BIG BIG difference between the two. I haven't seen one person on here at all say that ALL immigration should be stopped. If there has been, I would love for you to find me a link.
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:53 AM) So its population increases that are causing this problem huh? I guess we need to have a Chinese-style population control programme to prevent us from having to import food then huh? Or we could stem illegal immigration, which is the only source of population increase in the US right now. the US popluation itself is actually at really close to zero growth right now.
-
Bush to order National Guard to border
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:50 AM) Tell me where the line is for for legal entry for unskilled non-English speaking laborers and their hungry families and I will pass the information along. Well if we are the worlds largest unemployment office, why are we worrying about Mexico so much, when we could be helping people who REALLY need it, such as the victims of war and genocide in Africa, who would literally kill to be here, or the families torn apart by something like the 2004 tsunami and have nothing left but disease and poverty? If our roll is to help the rest of the world, there are many, many countries in worse shape than our neighbors to the south, including the Central American countries who Mexico refuses to help.
-
Bush to order National Guard to border
QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:48 AM) So you agree that he's the most corrupt political official of all time? Wow, I'm no expert in politics, but I think I could could come up with a couple dozen political leaders who would be considered much more... And that is just in Mexico alone... The PRI has a huge history of corruption and Fox was actually elected because of that. He has been cleaner than his predessors, but that isn't saying much. I think the Daley clan would be cleaner than these guys.
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:36 AM) We already are. We import an insane amount of food. Those strawberries in January? They weren't grown in Missouri. Your McBurgers? South American cattle. The only large burger chain that uses American beef is What-a-burger. It takes time to grow crops and the land is being used for shopping malls, not agriculture. Check out this UK article I also suggest this book if you care about the food you eat. Great read. The US is the biggest EXPORTER of food in the world. If there were really a problem, we would quit selling to other countries.
-
Bush to order National Guard to border
LMAO! Vincente Fox is upset about the "militarization" of the border!?!? Maybe if we weren't under invasion from his country, with direct aid from his government, it wouldn't be necesary for our troops to protect our borders. I wonder if he ever thought about stopping the tide of migration out of his country would stop the border problem. Canada doesn't have half a million people streaming in here illegally every year, and guess what, we haven't had to worry about sending troops to that border.
-
Mark Buehrle and his "slump"
QUOTE(WCSox @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:30 AM) I guess that depends on how one defines "ace." He's not in the same tier as Santana, but he's still one of the best starters in the league. Whether he was tipping his pitches in the first or flustered by the errors, he calmed down, made the necessary adjustments, and shut down the Twinkies afterwards. That's what a veteran pitche, and day I say an "ace", does. It was also nice to see Bobby locating that hook again last night. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up Bobby. He was nasty last night. The gun had him at 98-99 consistantly AND he was dropping the curve for a strike. Its almost unfair when he has both going for him.
-
Triple Play
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:54 AM) Just wondering, but when Kong went to first first, wasn't the correct play to get the lead runner at second? I thought it should have been a 3-6-4 not a 3-4-6. On a play like that you get the quickest out you can get. The way the play took Konerko his quickest look was first base, and it could very well have been if he looks at first, looks at second, that he would have gotten no one. On a bang-bang play you take the first out that you see. Hindsite does dictate that he would have had the triple play regardless, but you get what you can get in a game situation.
-
music
QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:55 AM) One of the few "Supergroups" to also live up to the hype of the people involved. Yeah, you would think ego or something like that would really make it difficult for the sum of the parts to add up to the whole, but they did it. Incredible stuff.
-
Fun Fact
They talked about that on ESPN last night. Just a wild game all around.
-
Mark Buehrle and his "slump"
QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 15, 2006 -> 12:49 AM) Just more proof. Mark Buehrle is not an ace. Yeah an ace would have gone out there, not given up anymore runs, given his team a chance to win, and pitched into the seventh saving the bullpen from being blown up with a low pitch count fifth starter coming up in two days.
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:05 AM) Is it the person that is doing the job that creates poor people, or the wages that these jobs pay? Would American bus boys not be poor? Unemployment is, and has been, very low. It seems our economy needs these jobs filled. If we do not allow for immigrant labor, who is going to do these jobs? Will Americans pick up the slack and work two jobs? Will college students take a couple years off their studies and become migrant workers? Should we raise the retirement age and have grandpa working in a slaughter house? I keep hearing about the poverty problem, but the solution isn't someone else working the job, anyone else working the job would be poor. The solution is either raising the wages, (which is usually against conservative business philosophy), and getting Americans to accept careers as manual laborors, or building a guest worker program where immigrants use these jobs as their ticket to citizenship. Why are we not embracing the fact that the American education system produces children that offer more potential than manual labor? Our children do not have to toil at these jobs, and I for one am glad. In this case it is illegal immigration that is causing, not solving that problem. Without illegal labor, wages would have to rise to a point where legal people would be willing to do the jobs. Or in many of the cases, wages would rise to the point where legal people could legally do the jobs, because many of the jobs are paying sub-minimum wages right now. But because there is a supply of employees who have no rights to anything, in fact they are very similar to slave labor in the fact that it is detremental to their safety and presense here to say anything about their wages and conditions. The weird thing to me is that for understanding the situation personally, you seem to be endorsing Mexico to be sort of a lower caste for our labor force. You repeatly talk about the horrible conditions, but then turn around and say its OK for them to do, but not our own citizens and families. It is simple economics really. If these jobs are that important to American's they will support living wages for people to them. If not, the demand for the products produced here will drop off accordingly. Besides if all of these people are legalized anyway, the inflation is coming down the turnpike because the illegals won't have to work for sub-minimum wages, and will become covered under programs such as OSHA and the EPA. In a weird twist, legalizing the illegals could end up costing them their jobs because as the wages rise to the minimum and beyond you might find legal American citizens who would be willing to work those jobs. The idea that leaglizing the illegals and keeping them working at subminimum wage is laughable.
-
music
Of all things, I broke out the Traveling Wilburies this week, and remembered how awesome they were. Defiantely brought the term "superband" to mind.
-
A BIG thank you.
QUOTE(DePloderer @ May 14, 2006 -> 02:37 PM) I have now recieved all of the donations from my Marathon run. With a great deal of help from you guys I managed to raise £1,268.00 ($1,640.00) for the Rainbow Trust. A big THANK YOU to you all! I am going to nitpick a bit... I don't know where you got your conversion from, but the pound is trading at about 1.88 dollars which would translate to just under $2400. But aside from that, bang up job mate
-
5/12 Games
QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2006 -> 06:00 AM) Hafner's not exactly dog barf. Boone got beat by a good hitter. It happens. Unless you consider McCarthy and Buehrle dog barf too as Hafner has hit bombs off of them as well.
-
Mexicans Contribution To Our Economy
QUOTE(Texsox @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:50 AM) As I stated, the costs would be there regardless of documented or undocumented. Our unemployement rate remains low, and has been for decades. Leading me to conclude that we actually need these workers. So how about using those fence funds to deal with our own poor people? Except that these illegal aliens are BECOMING our own poor people...
-
The DaVinci Code
QUOTE(bmags @ May 14, 2006 -> 03:43 PM) Anyone can write like Dan Brown I was just going to say, I was much more interested 30 years ago when it was called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" Much better written too as I understand it.
-
White Sox @ Twins Game Thread
Can we get some of those minor league scab umpires? Jesus that was horrible. I wouldn't have made it back to the dugout after that inning if I were Javy.
-
Pat Foley
QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:29 PM) Comcast made the call here not the Hawks. Yes, it's the Hawks fault for not broadcasting all the games, but since they don't, the best place for Foley is the radio where he can do all the games. Now, it's up to the Hawks to get a new contract done with Foley. All that had to happen was for the Blackhawks to step up and say no. Hell they are part owners of the damned network in the first place! There is no doubt in my mind the Hawks are letting this happen, if nothing else through omission.