Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:43 AM) F the Olympics and F a second NFL franchise; both are absolutely horrible ideas for the city of Chicago. Keep both as far away from my city as possible. ...a second NFL franchise in this city is absolutely laughable. The olympics are a bad idea? I'd be curious to hear more about that.
  2. http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/29/sep...s.ap/index.html
  3. QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:59 AM) You mean those decisions made by an African-American GM? And the first non-US born MGR to win the World Series... not to mention the first team in pro sports history to employ a minority GM AND MGR at the sametime. A lot of owners could have some explaining to do when it comes to minority hiring, Jerry Reinsdorf is not one of them.
  4. White Castle
  5. QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 07:00 PM) Rush Limbaugh wins because he has a better product than most liberal talk shows. Not in thought process, but in sheer talent as an on-air personality. The few "liberal" talk shows that have been on the air in years past were boring to say the least. Air America is different and features a product that is maturing. As a result, the network is growing. It's growing quickly too. From 6 stations in April 2004 to 84 today. The network attracts between 2 and 3 million listeners weekly. Limbaugh is on over 600 affiliates and attracts 20 million listeners a week. But his lustre is starting to fade and has been overtaken in San Fransisco and Portland Oregon by Al Franken. The 25-54 listenership lead is quite small for him in New York City as well. Air America is doing very well for having a terrible business model to kick off. I was very surprised that the network lasted through the election - to be honest - but I think its past the danger point right now. I can't stand to listen to Rush, but when you talk about where he is getting beat, all I have to say is "duh". NYC, SF, and Oregon are about as far left as you can get when it comes to a demographic. If AA couldn't beat Rush there, they might as well commit Seppuku, because they would be done.
  6. Geesh, when I said I saw them winning about 35 games and taking a step backwards, I didn't realize I was being optimistic. There is no heart out there at all right now, these bastards are back to playing for moral victories.
  7. QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 10:51 AM) Well, since everyone here seems to think the UN is "worthless," I guess it isn't worth much. That's why I gave it the FWIW. I really don't know what that means anymore when the UN gives it stamp of approval.
  8. QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 09:18 AM) What the hell kinda socks are they? Are they SmartWool? Super comfortable hiking socks, but they wear out quick. It looks like my Brazil tour is going to happen. Anyone wanna go? I'll go... Can you lend me $2500?
  9. Happy Birthday 3e8 and ChWrOcK2 And to Soxtalk's favorite minor leaguer, I hope you get the best belated birthday present ever... the last lefty spot in the Chicago White Sox bullpen.
  10. QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:59 PM) Getting back on track with Ozzie in the Hall, there is no way he makes it in as a player. A better question, will Ozzie get the minimum 5% of the vote needed to remain on the ballet next season? Like I said to his Hall chances, no way. he might get 10 votes total.
  11. I see nothing wrong with anything Contreras is asking for, just I like I had no problem with what Garland was turning down what he did. Good luck to Jose, as this will be the last big contract of his life.
  12. QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:31 PM) If you think Javier Vazquez is a #1 starter, you are the one who hasn't been paying attention the last year and a half sir. Look at Contreras's 2004 and first half of 2005 and tell me what a year and a half is worth again. Vazquez has the arm, he proved that while in MTL and starting in NY. He is much younger than Contreras was at the time, and now Javier is coming into an ideal situation with a great pitching coach and a latin clubhouse. He is ripe for a turnaround and has the ability to do so.
  13. QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:30 PM) I think they pulled a fast one on Jon.. He wont have 5 years of service until the end of '06.. per the CBA, no no-trade clauses, no free agency. The team owns your rights 100%. I bet the NT is for year 2 and they are reporting it wrong. Might be a gentlemans agreement in that case. Who knows.
  14. QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:53 PM) I still can't quite grasp this signing from the Garland Camp's point of view. Even if Jon were to have another 12-14 win season, the chances of him signing a contract over two-three years would be a near certainty. He would have hit the market at what would seem a much more desirable 26 or 27 years of age rather than the standard 29 mark and would have been rewarded as such. Hrmph. /shrug I guess he decided nearly $30 million was enough to stay where he was happy.
  15. QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:25 PM) im going to try and get opening day tickets via general sale to the public If they aren't selling tickets in packages, I can't see them selling any to the general public.
  16. QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:17 PM) ^^^^ QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:19 PM) FACT: You can never have too much starting pitching!! FACT: People will b**** here no matter what!! ^^^^
  17. QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:05 PM) That has only worked once......ask Spiff how he charmed it out of me..... Wait a second, are we back on leathery balls again?
  18. QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:57 PM) I don't get this estimate. My own estimate is about $90 million: Total $90.05 just eyeballing your figures, i would say the Score isn't including the money we got from the other teams into things. The difference comes to about $10 million, which is about the difference in the numbers.
  19. QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:39 PM) IMO, the only one who really knows what the payroll is going to be is JR. Everyone can make smart estimates, and thats fine, but lets just wait and see what happensm because I think another suprise or two could be coming. Obviously only JR, the board, and Kenny really know what is going on with the final number. I am just going with the Sox zero profits philosophy as a guide to what 2006 will bring. The things we know are this. -Whenever the Sox have profits one year, they payroll increases by that amount the next season. -Whenever the Sox have losses, the payroll decreases by that amount the next season. -There have been multiple occasions in the past where KW has gone to JR and talked him into a few million more in payroll to make a move to improve the team. -The Sox have an estimated $15-20 million in extra revenues from the playoffs alone -The Sox season ticket base which supported a $75 million payroll last year, has gone up almost double this year. -The Sox get a cut of advertising revenue from CSN as a part owner of it, and we all know ad rates will be going up in 2006. -JR is also heading the stadium negotiation committee for the Washington Nationals, so he is privy to vital info as to when the sale of the franchise will most likely be done, and how much of a share they should expect from that. I see a lot of good signs for the Sox not having to make a big subtraction move here.
  20. The payroll number is scary, but doesn't necesarily mean that we are trading someone. Bear with me here folks. Coming into this off season, the goal stated for season tickets was to move the base from 11,000 to 15,000 people. Before January first even rolled around, we are at 20,000 people now, which means we are sitting on about an attendance of 1.6 million people before a single regular season single game ticket has been sold. Last year we sold about 1.3 million of those on our way to the World Series. This year we have a World Series title to sell tickets with. If we even sell another million tickets or so from here on out, we are looking at another 20% increase in attendace over 2005, theoretically putting that much more cash into the budget. I said it in August, and I will say it again, $100 million is very, very possible for this team to maintain in its current form.
  21. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:28 PM) Don't you mean "You can't"? Yeah, can't bleh. Its probably known around here as the "Carl Everett" rule
  22. QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:18 PM) I don't think there is a rule for FA or extensions unless there is no trade clauses. I know though you can't trade a draft pick for year or something like that. I'm pretty sure you can trade a new FA signee before either May 1 or June 1 of the next season.
  23. QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:14 PM) Sign-and-trades are not very common in baseball. As a matter of fact, I thought there's a rule about how long you have to wait before you can trade a guy after signing them. I thought that was just as a free agent signing. this is a contract extension. i could be wrong though.
  24. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179880,00.html
  25. The Garland trade threads are closed. The thread about his signing is pinned in Pale Hose Talk.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.