Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:18 AM) Is anybody on this board sold on Uribe? *raises hand*
  2. Sweet, can't wait to check it out!!
  3. QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:45 AM) They are only in for 2 and a half hours today so I doubt there will be a verdict. So unless they have really made progress with the reviews I doubt there will be one this week. Evidently a bunch of the jurors have graduations to attend.
  4. QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:33 AM) You can stay in the guest bedroom if you want to reason with hurricane season this year. It might sound strange, but I loved it. It was one of the coolest things I have ever been a part of. The power of mother nature is just incredible.
  5. QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:45 AM) Very excited about this news...if we can get a full season in next year, that would be spectacular. If there are significant changes for next season, which i think there will be, i would bet there is a shootout at the end of overtime, and goalie's pads will be smaller - perhaps 10 inch leg pads instead of 12, etc. I'm a hockey 'purist', but the shootout needs to happen to get fans back into the game. It will only be in the regular season anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. There will be some sweet breakaway moves unveiled, and it will be very entertaining. NHL has a long way to go, but you have to start somewhere. I have said for a while, if I could change one thing about hockey it would be the way that wins losses and ties are tallied for points. Right now there isn't much incentive to play aggressively in OT. If you went to a soccer style scoring system where wins were 3 pts, OT wins were 3 points, and OT losses were 1 point, along with ties being 1 points, you would see much more aggressive play in tie games for the last of the game and into OT. It wouldn't be this skating for one point crap. There would be incentive to win, and you wouldn't lose anything if you lost or tied.
  6. QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:49 AM) I did too and when I got there I was actually kinda scared. The one we went to is in South America and it's pretty active and unpredictable. It had this faint, constant rumble coming for deep inside of it that made the ground tremble underneath us. Pretty awesome from afar, scary when you're standing on it. Sounds awe-inspiring. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii just to see the active volcano's. The closest I have come to mother nature was riding out a hurricane in Texas in 1983, and that is what got me on the whole natural disasters thing.
  7. QUOTE(Adam G @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:27 AM) Exactly what I thought. I'm an attorney and cant figure out for the life of me what Mariotti could possibly be talking about. Sending JR a check for giving him things to write about so that he can keep his job.
  8. QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:41 AM) Take it from someone who has stood near the peak of a volcano, they're awesome and scary. I would love to see one. I am in awe of the power of mother nature, and want to see one really badly.
  9. For all who are interested in a few more details, I did a blog post about it. http://boringtheworld.blogspot.com/
  10. http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/06/...o.ap/index.html
  11. QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 08:48 AM) one game and everyones opinion is changed, he played great but lets see if he can do this again Carl got 38 RBI's in one game? That's gotta be some kind of record.
  12. Lucky for the Illini. Brown was really starting to slip, especially when he started questioning Weber's helping him for the draft.
  13. Key stat of the series... The Sox pitching only allowed 9 runs in Denver, over a 3 game series.
  14. The quote is too good. You go JR!!!
  15. QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 06:45 AM) But not all Boras clients are upper echelon players earning multi-year, multiple-million dollar paychecks. Definition time: Boras Player, any player he represents. Boras Player, A-Rod etc. earning multiples of tens of millions of dollars. Or are you extending Boras' negotiations to include a guy near the minimum who may make an extra $100,000 because he had Boras representing him? I hesitate to throw this example on the fire, but doesn't Boras represent Crede? I doubt Crede's contract prevented us from signing any free agent. I think we are in total agreement that committing a huge chuck of your payroll to one or two stars is not a path to the post season. Baseball requires too many players, and any one individual will not have enough AB or defensive chances to make a big enough impact. So yes the Rangers are now the poster child for payroll management. I think YAS brings up an excellent point. In a sense Boras is also helping his clients to winning teams based on some of the smaller market teams passing. I understand the business side of baseball, I just worry when alongside height weight position played is the agent's name as an important tool in evaluating talent. Soon, players will be able to almost hand select what team they are going to based on who their agent is. The effect trickles down. When Borass's big names get huge money, the mediocre guys use that as a barometer to get their money. Ask the Rangers who spent $65 million on Chan Ho Park, the Dodgers who spent $55 million on Darren Driefort, or the Tigers who spend $75 million on Maggs. Those guys aren't the best in the game, but they still used the same agent to get their contracts, and they still have the same ripple effect on payroll. I can't wait to see what Scotty can get Joe Crede in FA so that we can laugh at that team as well.
  16. QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:17 PM) Gross, on all counts: too skinny, bad hair color, gross bleached out freckles, smoking (menthols no less, ick). When she's 40 she's going to look back and be like, s***, what did I do to myself..... No doubt about it. Who is telling these girl that is attractive? :puke EAT A SAMMICH!!
  17. QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 08:27 PM) Hilarious picture? This guy is freaky lookin. Dude the Flock of Seagulls guy doesn't even wear his hair like that anymore...
  18. QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:03 AM) More at this link Did they check eBay? Went missing? Heck with the corruption up there, they probably sold them.
  19. QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:42 AM) Do you despise the Cubs as much as we Sox fans do? And if not, can you learn quickly
  20. I really didn't think so during the trial, but supposedly the longer the jury is out, the worse it is for Jackson... Now where is my sticker?
  21. QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 03:42 PM) Congrats! And hopefully you can find out the baby's sex and it cooperates -- unlike me when I was in the womb who just kept mooning the ultrasound thingy. Well we ended up having the exact same problem. Imagine that, my kid not cooperating. Heck some doc somewhere is probably ready to label the baby and put it on a drug... Anyways after much maniputation and coaxing, it looks like we are going to have a girl. It is still on the earliest possible time period to make a judgement, but it didn't look like any equiptment was present, and the start of a labia was. It was very cool, and everything looks to be healthy and developing A-OK.
  22. Happy Birthday to Cali And Happy Birthday to Mathew, eh
  23. QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:34 PM) The player and his agent should not be negotiating for the team, any more than the team should be negotiating for the player. Agent "I'm sorry Mr. TeamOwner, but I don't see how you can be competitive and pay my player $10,000,000. Let's make it $8,500,000? Does that sound fair to you? TeamOwner "No, I insist. He's batting .329 and we need a left handed bat. He's worth at least $10,000,000 that's only fair. Agent "Well if you can convince me you can spend it *and* be competitive, I guess we will take the money." I'm not arguing that a top heavy payroll is the answer. I agree that a balanced payroll, is probably a better path to the playoffs. What I cannot see is a player settling for less money on some hope the team will use the money to sign other players, who also would be signing for less, in hopes of getting other players who will sign for less dollars. That's a nice socialist system, but not a free enterprise, American dream way. And just having the extra money doesn't mean you will win anything. The Yankees have an almost unlimited payroll. If players started signing contracts based on lower wages so the team could sign more free agents, like the Yankees, there is no guarantee of winning. But my original question. Are teams hurting themselves when they refuse to sign a player based on his agent? Who said a player should settle for less money? That is a completely different question. You asked if the teams were getting hurt. I think for everyone except the upper escelon teams, they benefit by not signing Borass guys as they are able to sign comperable players for less money, and then have the ability to build around those players moreso than if they wasted that money on one player.
  24. QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:18 PM) I hope you're lying. Rules like that arent the problem. Third man in, instigator, and the clutching and grabbing need to go. And contraction is also a VERY good idea. Bettman ran this league into the ground and now he's trying to NBAify it and market it to casual fans. They arent trying to fix the probelms on the ice, only the $$$ off the ice. :fyou Bettman They were also looking at a goal that was 4 inches higher.
  25. QUOTE(OilCan @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:22 PM) What's even more amazing is how many pages have been devoted to a middle reliever!!!! Not since the days of Kent Tekulve, a healthy Paul Quantrill, or even a lights-out Scott Radinsky have so much talk have been devoted to a middle reliever. I luv my Sox!!!! We had a 1000 post thread about a guy who said he didn't want to come here, with GM who said he would never trade him, all about how we were going to trade for him. This thread doesn't shock me at all.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.