Everything posted by Chicago White Sox
-
Successful Plan B; What’s Next?
We’ll find out soon enough whether they are just waiting out Boras or if they truly didn’t have a plan B. Honestly, the rational side of me thinks the former, but each time a free agent pitcher get picked off I think the latter.
-
2019-2020 Official NBA Thread
Oh they will definitely fire Gar if they continue suck and bottom line remains impacted. The problem is Paxson has a lifetime contract so real change will never happen. And worse of all is that Michael Reinsdorf is the most inept trustafarian in the history of mankind and has been given the Bulls as his little project. Thank god he has no involvement with the White Sox.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
Of course, but I also think that we’re more desperate than most of these other teams and also I think most of them may place a more conservative valuation on Keuchel.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
I also think the Sox will place more value on his groundball inducing abilities and durability than other teams. He wouldn’t be a sexy addition by any means, but zero reason to go with a cheaper option if you can get him on a three year deal.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
Who is Michel? You mean Keuchel?
-
2019-2020 Official NBA Thread
He clearly doesn’t care about winning when it comes the Bulls.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
I could easily be wrong, but I personally value Ryu above Bumgarner.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
I think Keuchel is somewhere between 3/$55M or 4/$70M. I think Ryu is closer to the 3/$65M to 4/$85M range.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
I think they’re willing to negotiate with the secondary Boras guys, but the reality is Boras will wait us out as long as possible in hopes of getting his clients the best deal possible. I will say that this Bumgarner deal being so team friendly is reason for optimism, but that being said there are still a lot of teams looking for pitching so who fucking knows.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
I do think Keuchel happens, but a bit terrifying that starters keep going and we are nowhere to be found. Maybe we get lucky and they surprise us with Ryu.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
If you get Keuchel I think gambling on Wood makes sense given the certainty Dallas provides. I’d be happy with him or Walker at the #5 in such a scenario. Short of landing Ryu, it would be hard to do much better at this point.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
You’re right, I caught myself on that.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
There is a 0% chance Keuchel is taking a 1 year deal. More likely 3/$50M or more. EDIT: Ignore my post. You’re saying Keuchel and another starter signed to a 1 year deal. If so, I agree.
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
Wheeler >>>>>>>>>>>> Bumgarner
-
Bumgarner and AZ nearing 5 yr deal per Passan
I would 100% supported this deal for the Sox. With the deferred money, this contract would have been easily movable if he didn’t work at the Rate.
-
Successful Plan B; What’s Next?
Yeah, I was going off career numbers, so there could definitely be some noise there, but I think using last year alone is too small of a sample. At a minimum, there aren’t a ton of red flags that he would be unable to handle DH.
-
Successful Plan B; What’s Next?
I’ve been since before 2005, just under a different handle. As for the trade, I truly believe it’s one of the worst trade proposals I have ever seen. I’m excluding trades where we overvalue our own prospects, because those happen frequently. It’s an all-in trade that doesn’t even fill any holes for us, as we’d still need two starters and a bat, but would now have ~$40M less to do so with. Look, valuation is subjective, but that’s a move so bad that I would have to question whether Hahn was looking for a future job with the Cubs.
-
Successful Plan B; What’s Next?
Cease has six years of cheap control, struck out 10 per 9 in his first major league stint, and has a 2.2 win projection for next year per Steamer (which is very conservative with young players). Darvish is coming off a monster 2nd half and has a 3.8 win projection for next year, but is 33 years old and is owed $81M over the next four years. Trading Cease for Darvish is likely a 2 win upgrade next year (at best) and you’d still need two starters but with $20M less to fill those spots. This also ignores the fact that Cease should continue to get better and potentially match Darvish’s production from 2021 to 2023 at a fraction of cost, not to mention would be under control for 2024 & 2025 as well. In summary, trading Cease straight up for Darvish would be an incredibly stupid deal that would never get an ounce of consideration from our front office. As for Rizzo, he’s an excellent player under control for two more seasons at a total cost of $33 million. At $9M/win, he could provide ~$39M in surplus value over the next two seasons. That’s some real nice value, but Madrigal is a guy who is all but a guarantee to provide at least 14 wins over the next seven years for peanuts (defense, base-running, and elite bat to ball skills provide a 2 win floor IMO). Hell, if he can provide six wins over the next three seasons before he hits arbitration that would be worth ~$52M in surplus value alone. While this wouldn’t be as egregious as Cease for Darvish, I still would not even consider this trade. Instead I’d simply get a stop-gap at DH for a year (perhaps EE) and transition to Vaughn in 2021. And just for fun, running this trade through basetradevalues.com as a 2x2 trade (ignoring Basabe, etc), we’d be giving up $82.4M in value for $36.5M in value. While I don’t agree with certain valuations, I think it’s good enough to demonstrate how one-sides this trade would be, especially for a team that should be able to fill holes via free agency.
-
FA SP: What to do after the Wheeler miss?
While this is obviously bullshit, I do think Keuchel will probably be the guy for us if he will accept a three year deal.
-
Successful Plan B; What’s Next?
He may hate it but he’s hit perfectly fine as a DH in his career.
-
Successful Plan B; What’s Next?
This is the single worst trade proposal I have seen in my 15+ years on the site. Like I know that will come off completely dickish, but I can’t believe any legit Sox fan would propose such garbage.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
? Why would they ever non tender McCann if they could extract value via trade. That legit makes no sense.
-
Martin Perez thread
Easy discard for what? What if he falls of a cliff as a 33 year old? Regardless, he’s not getting a $15M AAV which is the only thing I’m arguing.
-
Martin Perez thread
I don’t see that price being even close to being realistic. Let’s all remember how good Morton was when he signed his 2/$30M deal. Yes he took a hometown discount, but Miley is nowhere near the same level ability-wise and also is 33 years old. He may get a two year deal, but I’d wager it’s around $20M max.
-
Martin Perez thread
2/$30M seems like way too much for Miley IMO.