Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chicago White Sox

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chicago White Sox

  1. Because some writer from the NY Post randomly threw us out a potential option? I’ll wager large sums of money we won’t go after Chapman.
  2. Agreed, not sure what else is could really be. I mean technically Ozuna or Castlellanos would be bigger name free agents for RF, but my god would they be terrible fits given their defensive concerns / limitations. I do think they’ll evaluate trade options for RF and could see Joc being positioned as that third big addition along with Grandal/Martinez and Wheeler/Bumgarner. Would need to find a way to extend him, but he’d be an excellent fit and may not cost a ton given his lack of control beyond 2020.
  3. Dream for a realistic / won’t break the bank option. I honestly don’t think we can do much better than him via trade. After him, you’re looking highly flawed but talented guys like Mazara & Polanco and one year rental types like Joc. We simply don’t have the assets to acquire a more impactful player unless we’re prepared to trade from the Cease, Madrigal, Vaughn talent pool which we shouldn’t. While Mookie would be the absolute dream, his acquisition cost and lack of control don’t make sense for us. We aren’t far enough into the rebuild to take chances like that IMO.
  4. The plan should be to quickly do the following: Land one of Wheeler or Bumgarner Land one of Grandal or Martinez We should then evaluate trade options for RF. If there’s something worthwhile at a reasonable price (Nimmo being the dream), go ahead and pull the trigger. If not, sign Dickerson or Kalhoun to be a stop-gap. Doing so buys you a year on your OF prospects and if none of them take a major step forward you look at being serious players for Betts, Springer, & Pederson in 2021. After those critical needs are filled, it’s primarily about pitching depth. We definitely need another starter type (there are plenty or options) and at least one established bullpen arm to add to the mix. Maybe look at a bench piece as well, but only if you can land said player on your own terms.
  5. Joker is definitely a movie worth watching. I’m a little surprised at how divisive reviews have been on this one. I was expecting a much higher score on Rotton Tomatoes than a 68.
  6. What prompts someone to type something so stupid? The Sox were a top five payroll the three years immediately following 2005 and were top 10 well beyond than that. Why didn’t they say this in 2006, 2007, 2008, etc?
  7. But unlike other teams, the White Sox haven’t started spending their shared revenue yet. Additionally, the new TV deal likely provides additional revenue as well. I’ve run the figures before and I truly believe they could afford a ~$160M payroll without much change in their attendances. The problem is with some of our younger guys hitting arbitration in 2021, we won’t likely jump straight to that ledge in 2020. I’m still expecting a ~$135M payroll next year if they’re able to land their targets.
  8. I’m hoping the traditional big spenders play the slow game for Cole & Strasburg, but I fully expect teams like the Twins to pursue a similar strategy centered around Wheeler & Bumgarner.
  9. 100% agree. Make aggressive bids for Wheeler & Bumgarner right out the gate. Have to come away with one of those guys for this be a successful offseason IMO. As much as I’d want Cole or Strasburg, I think the process will be too risky and too drawn out. The second priority should be landing one of Grandal or Martinez. Those guys are true impact bats and none of the other guys that qualify really fit. RF will definitely be addressed, but I don’t think there is a major free agent fit there and will require more creativity.
  10. Yeah, that’s a $170M roster if I’m thinking through correctly. Would be an absolutely fantastic plan if they were willing to ball out, but that’s a good $30M or more too high.
  11. How in the world is your total salary $120M when you’re spending $130M on just free agents? I think your file is using the previous salary amount in your total payroll calc instead of the 2020 salary amount.
  12. The Cubs & Red Sox were the only teams with four $20M+ players last year, I seriously doubt the Padres will be the third team in that prestigious club.
  13. I honestly think our plan will be aggressive pursuits of Wheeler & Bumgarner right from the get go and not ever getting involving in the Cole & Strasburg sweepstakes.
  14. Sale never reached free agency, he agreed to a somewhat team friendly extension.
  15. He’s never played RF though, does he even have the arm for it?
  16. I’m not monitoring other posts, I just get a kick when the Negative Nancy’s on this site post some ridiculously pessimistic idea and claim they actually believe it’s going to happen. No one using any sense of logic & reasoning could honestly believe that cancerous, one win Puig will be sold as our “prized” free agent hitter addition. This is just you being scared of another failed offseason and trying to manage expectations.
  17. Instead of saying “I really think”, why not just state “I’m really cynical and will always assume the worst”?
  18. Rendon is a top 10 to 20 hitter in all of all baseball, who cares if Vaughn hits a ton of bombs if he’s that productive?
  19. Why would you non-tender Marshall at that number? He still has options left and worst case is great AAA depth.
  20. You’ve said this before many times, so why do you feel this way? The kid has 65 / 70 grade raw power and I’m really curious as to why you think it won’t translate to game power.
  21. I’m talking about future arbitration raises. Moncada, Giolito, & Lopez will make ~$2M next year, they’ll make a lot more in 2021, 2022, etc.
  22. Highly left-handed, have lots of corner OF alternatives, and may not want to play Nimmo in CF long-term. If they are committed to Conforto in RF and want to keep rotating McNeil, Smith, & Davis through LF to maximize their usage, they may be better off trading Nimmo and acquiring a natural CF. And it’s very possible his neck issues create another incentive for moving him.
  23. The problem is you need to leave some flexibility for the young guys’ arbitration raises / extensions or your payroll will quickly balloon past your limit. If that limit is around $160M (only based on what you’re suggesting), it’s unrealistic to expect that in 2020. There certainly will be some phasing to all this. That being said, a league average payroll should be possible IMO.
  24. I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I’m guessing any two of those pieces would be more than fair value.
  25. He no doubt got the job done last year, the question is will he be able to next year. The fact his K rate is declining makes it much harder to be overly optimistic about him going forward.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.