Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OmarComing25

Forum Moderator
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by OmarComing25

  1. Sale's slider is filthy today.
  2. I still don't mind the call, if Verlander threw 3 shutdown innings today and helped the Astros win Game 4 the call looks good, and I think Keuchel looked better than him in their respective starts as well. And Benintendi's HR is a flyout like 95% of the time, that was very weakly hit. I also think their bullpen is a bit overrated and Devenski has not looked the same over the past 6 weeks or so.
  3. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 02:20 PM) Why is Verlander coming on now? Postseason pitching changes are officially out of control. Keuchel can pitch on normal rest in Game 5 if needed, I don't see it as that crazy.
  4. QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 08:14 PM) Atrocious managing by Maddon That game was a perfect example of why having a rigid role for your closer is dumb. Davis should have faced Harper and the middle of that order in the 8th, not Edwards. He should have started the inning. Your best pitcher should face their best hitters.
  5. Robertson has been fantastic.
  6. Red Sox should have traded for Chris Volstad if they wanted to shut this offense down.
  7. MLB Network had a short segment on how to beat Kluber that focused on Abreu because he has 5 career homers against him.
  8. He's getting ahead of almost every hitter but is really struggling to put guys away.
  9. This game is crazy.
  10. QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 08:57 PM) Read that people think even with Park adjustments left fielders get screwed at Fenway with d metrics. This is part of the reason why I wish defensive metrics had a home/away component.
  11. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 01:56 PM) Longenhagen says Burger was struggling with throwing accuracy, but took good at bats and made loud contact. Also said Collins' pop times were well below average, which, 2.05-2.10 seconds, yeah, those are bad. But on the plus side, Collins still takes great at bats. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hunter-gree...ctional-league/ I wonder if Collins doesn't become the Sox version of Schwarber, basically just fills in at catcher now and then and ends up either in LF, 1B, DH, or C on any particular night. Schwarber caught 7 innings at catcher this season, that's far below "now and then". I hope Collins can stick there more than that.
  12. QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:11 PM) Does this count if he is hurt since he is technically not in the playoffs? I guess he shouldn't count but figured he was part of that 24. Colon and Thompson (I may be missing someone else here) shouldn't technically count either because they're not on the playoff rosters.
  13. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:31 AM) I read where there are 24 ex-White Sox in the playoffs this year. So there is room for s***ty players on playoff rosters. I'm going to see if I can get them all. David Robertson NYY Tommy Kahnle NYY Todd Frazier NYY Jose Quintana CHC Adam Eaton WAS Alex Avila CHC Chris Sale BOS Chris Young BOS Chris Devenski HOU Austin Jackson CLE Eduardo Escobar MIN Bartolo Colon MIN Addison Reed BOS Tyler Clippard HOU Francisco Liriano HOU Brandon McCarthy LAD Trayce Thompson LAD Matt Albers WAS Gio Gonzalez WAS Alejandro De Aza WAS I'm still missing 4
  14. QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:43 AM) So he came in just below average. Keep in mind though that OPS overrates SLG and underrates OBP, the latter is far more important. Narvaez had a 100 wRC+ and the league average catcher had a 90 wRC+ so he was solidly above average with the bat for a catcher.
  15. Hell of a performance by Robertson. Career high in innings, pitched more than both SP combined.
  16. I'll be in Houston this weekend for a friend's wedding and I get in at noon on Thursday. I'm thinking of splurging for tickets for Game 1 to see Sale vs. Verlander. Decided to go for it. Got tickets near the 1st base dugout.
  17. QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 01:29 PM) For most of year I felt like this was going about as well as it could go, then the Rodon news. The bad: Rodon's shoulder Burdi's elbow Anderson's first half Fulmers first 4/5s of season Saladino The good: Improvement from virtually all pitching prospects (sans fulmer) Generally good health production way over expectations for AAA-Majors players that were not top prospects. (How many years did we bring up these players with not a lot of hype outwardly but decent AAA numbers and they just fell flat on their face. I expected a whole lot of Asche's and Jacob Mays, but everything after that was thrilling to me) We built up our prospects this year and basically had one flame out (fulmer) before becoming something to think about. That's good. Good list, I'd add Jones' injury to the bad. Before the season he was in our top 5 trade chips but now he has little to no value.
  18. I'm a subscriber but I don't see WAR past the first decimal. And I assume your bet was just based on fWAR? Because Buxton's rWAR is 5.1.
  19. Does anyone here watch Nathan For You? The season 4 premiere was fantastic. Might be the most convoluted scheme he's done yet.
  20. For a shoulder surgery this is pretty much best case scenario, right?
  21. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 02:22 PM) Because, according to how they calculate "clutch," Aaron Judge has had the least clutch season of all time. Yeah but I'm not a big fan on how they calculate clutch, because they're comparing how a player performs in high leverage situations to his baseline performance. All the top "unclutch" seasons of all time are great hitters, and it makes sense that their performance would be worse in high leverage situations because opposing managers are going to be using their best relievers against them, whereas a manager might leave in a tired starter for one more batter if Alcides Escobar was at the plate. Judge's batting line in high leverage situations this year is .234/.345/.489, which is a big step down from his overall line but still pretty good. Meanwhile a guy like Kole Calhoun is batting .227/.368/.364 in high leverage situations and he has the 8th best clutch rating in baseball this year. Doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't help that the average amount of PA for players in high leverage situations per year is ~50-60 PA, which is just too small of a sample size. Adding or subtracting 1 or 2 HR from that sample would drastically alter the numbers.
  22. QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 04:04 PM) any advantage to us if it is a three way tie for second (since we are teasing out all scenarios)? Tiebreaker is given to the team with the worse 2016 record, so the Phillies own the tiebreaker with us but we own the tiebreaker with the Tigers and Giants.
  23. QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 12:20 PM) What do we think of the sample size though? Is it large enough to draw those conclusions? In ~1600 PA between Cuba and the minors he walked at a 13% clip, I think it's pretty safe to say that he's a guy who's going to take his fair share of walks.
  24. QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 11:59 AM) Why not Delmonico? Davidson, Engel and Narvaez I certainly agree with Although Narvaez has elite plate discipline himself, if he can improve his framing I think he can be a useful future piece. Sure he has no power but he has a .375 OBP.
  25. QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 11:45 AM) In all fairness, you're talking about like 2 guys in the long-run who are currently here who will likely be starters on our next good team. And one of them is known for his patience and ability to take walks.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.