7/16/16 Sox @ Angels Shields vs Shoemaker

Condor13

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
So you think that Morneau will be better in future games?

Why do you think that? Are you just incurably optimistic?

Are you incurably pessimistic ? Of course he will do better . Since he was 0-4 getting one hit means he will be better in future games.He's had like a 7-8 month layoff from hitting with a rehab duration of around 30+ plate appearances between the minors and today. It takes a whole team to be shut out 3 straight games and Morneau played a full game in just todays game.

But hey there's a possibility he goes hitless the rest of the year if he perishes tragically very soon.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that the lineup matters, but a third grader could realize it should be Eaton at the top and Anderson second, not the way it is now. We have a leadoff hitter; why the hell did they move Andy to leadoff??? No brains. No glory.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
Are you incurably pessimistic ? Of course he will do better . Since he was 0-4 getting one hit means he will be better in future games.He's had like a 7-8 month layoff from hitting with a rehab duration of around 30+ plate appearances between the minors and today. It takes a whole team to be shut out 3 straight games and Morneau played a full game in just todays game.

But hey there's a possibility he goes hitless the rest of the year if he perishes tragically very soon.

He was at least hitting it hard his first few times tonight. Tough luck on the first two I saw.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 08:14 PM)
They will lose if they sell. For maybe a long time. Trading Sale doesnt = winning baseball. Really trading anyone on the roster doesnt equate to more wins. Not in the near future and potentially long term future.

How many times do I have to refute this stupid point that so many people keep making.

You are wasting the WAR of Sale/Q on losing teams when you can trade them to contenders to acquire WAR in the form of players who can contribute in future seasons which is MUCH more valuable to this team. Ownership could be different at the next contention window and we may actually sign the top free agents for once. It doesn't matter if the return is less than 1 for 1 because you are getting something for Sale/Q when they would become free agents anyway without contributing to a playoff team. The current roster is too talent deficient and there are only a handful of prospects in our system right now who have a prayer of being better than a utility player or reliever.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
Looks like the word's out about Anderson. Don't ever throw it in the zone. Easy K. No point watching this guy hit with 2 strikes- his approach doesn't change at all.

I said in his thread a few weeks ago they would start doing this.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
I'll repeat again....so everyone is mad with the team Rick Hahn assembled. But you want him to make the most important trade in franchise history. One that may decide if we are competitive in five years or go 20 years without winning. Do I have that right?

JR is too loyal to fire people that should be fired. I thought that was pretty much acknowledged by everyone here at this point?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
But if we do move those guys and keep Sale/Q etc. then we're doing one of those bulls*** "it's not rebuilding, it's retooling!! :)" things that will end up with us being .500. We need to commit to something, selling or buying, and go all in on that one thing. I'm tired of our front office's noncommittal attitude.

This is what I keep saying as well and what bothers me the most about the current approach of the front office.

Anybody who thinks this team can catch anybody for a wild card is crazy.

11th game lost this year when they allowed the opponent three runs or less.

BLOW IT UP (starting with the front office...)

Mark

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)
How many times do I have to refute this stupid point that so many people keep making.

You are wasting the WAR of Sale/Q on losing teams when you can trade them to contenders to acquire WAR in the form of players who can contribute in future seasons which is MUCH more valuable to this team. Ownership could be different at the next contention window and we may actually sign the top free agents for once. It doesn't matter if the return is less than 1 for 1 because you are getting something for Sale/Q when they would become free agents anyway without contributing to a playoff team. The current roster is too talent deficient and there are only a handful of prospects in our system right now who have a prayer of being better than a utility player or reliever.

This is more meaningless to a player than a fan. Great players and HOF players stayed on bad teams. Sometimes players may demand a trade. So few are ever outspoken how their organization is run. Right now the team has decent pitching that is cost controlled. Mediocre pitching and below still gets a high price in free agency. Playoffs and rings are not as important to an athlete as we think unless they have become content with their bank account. "Wasting a player's years on a bad team" is only a fan's perspective.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 12:56 AM)
JR is too loyal to fire people that should be fired. I thought that was pretty much acknowledged by everyone here at this point?

I don't see Hahn doing to much different than what KW did. It makes me think that's the only way Reinsdorf wants it.

I would like to tip my cap to Shields. He's bounced back very very nicely since his horrific first couple starts with Chicago. Give credit where credit is due. You know, I am the worst critic of our team not being good enough to contend. And I stand by that with catcher, DH, right field glaring weaknesses. We have 3-4 slots out of 9 pretty overmatched at this level. And I feel like no team with a catching combo like the Sox deserves to talk postseason.

But ... the other part of me, the one that thought we would play the Cubs in the WS when we were 23-10 (great pitching and defense at that point!), says the Sox are grossly underachieving considering they have a big three of Sale, Quintana and Shields (Rodon wasn't too bad either; not great but not too bad) and a great closer in Robertson. You'd think maybe they'd eke out a wild card with guys like that as well as "name" everyday players Frazier, Cabrera, Eaton, Lawrie, Abreu and now Anderson). So I'm torn. If you held a gun to my head I'd stand by us just not being good enough, but I'd at least listen to those who think Robin and Coop are underachieving because of reasons just stated.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 02:18 AM)
I would like to tip my cap to Shields. He's bounced back very very nicely since his horrific first couple starts with Chicago. Give credit where credit is due. You know, I am the worst critic of our team not being good enough to contend. And I stand by that with catcher, DH, right field glaring weaknesses. We have 3-4 slots out of 9 pretty overmatched at this level. And I feel like no team with a catching combo like the Sox deserves to talk postseason.

But ... the other part of me, the one that thought we would play the Cubs in the WS when we were 23-10 (great pitching and defense at that point!), says the Sox are grossly underachieving considering they have a big three of Sale, Quintana and Shields (Rodon wasn't too bad either; not great but not too bad) and a great closer in Robertson. You'd think maybe they'd eke out a wild card with guys like that as well as "name" everyday players Frazier, Cabrera, Eaton, Lawrie, Abreu and now Anderson). So I'm torn. If you held a gun to my head I'd stand by us just not being good enough, but I'd at least listen to those who think Robin and Coop are underachieving because of reasons just stated.

For the most part the starting pitching has been solid all season with a few blips here and there. The bullpen started off hot, then couldn't get anyone out to being effective again (except Albers-- he's just bad). The problem with this mediocre team is the manager, coaching staff and offense. They are ranked the 3rd worst team in the AL in runs scored. If it weren't for Melky, Eaton and Anderson, they would probably be worse. And honestly, how much slack are we going to continue to give Frazier? Hitting around .200 is embarrassing anyway you spin it. I think Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams know pitching and know how to develop and produce good pitching. The issue is their very poor offensive/ position player scouting and development. Thier issue is also giving Robin a 5th opportunity to manage a team that obviously needs work with their offensive approach, they also need to be coached up when they are in a bit of a slide and Robin and his poor staff are simply not capable of making mechanical and psychological corrections to players in need. It takes a true baseball mind to identify those things with your players. Things are simply too stale with the staff, upper management and team. I would say lets 'blow it up' and spend the next 2-3 years putting together a young and exciting team. However, I really don't trust KW or Hahn to be in charge of a true rebuild. I feel they wouldn't get enough for trades involving Sale or Quintana. And I do NOT trust their position player scouting. Hell, I don't even trust them making a proper manager hire.

Another part of me wonders, can a true baseball manager like Terry Francona or Don Mattingly be the difference maker this roster needs to push them to the next level? If there really is a three year plan 2015-17, why not just continue to add that outfielder that Hahn is looking for, have him locked up for 2017, bring in a new manager and give the bulk of this roster one more chance to prove themselves-- but this time with a new manager coaching staff? Which would then likely put KW/Hahn on the hot seat. If they fail in 2017, time for a new GM and a rebuild.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 03:18 AM)

I think a very telling statistic 13 S.O and no BB. The same pitcher who had 13 total strikeouts in his last 3 starts combined.

I think the roster more than Robin is the problem. I thought going in this was a 85-86 win team and they may be just that. But I posted a few weeks ago that I think Robin is gone after this season( his choice or not). Therefore, I would test drive Renteria as interim mgr. during meaningful games right now. Why not see if he is a viable candidate for the next manager? You also throw in Coop which may be another problem but the hitting is still awful. I would not make that change as well but after the season I think Steverson has to go.

This honestly might be one of the most difficult teams to watch I've ever seen. The inability to string together any kind of offense together what so ever is beyond pathetic. Aside from Eaton, Melky, and Abreu none of these guys bring a professional hitters approach to the plate. It's all just a bunch of guys who go up there hacking at anything remotely close. The amount of K's being tallied against this team by mediocre pitching should be embarrassing enough to get people fired and traded.

But honestly, are these problems just what this organization is at this point? Because it doesn't seem like anything matters at this point, there just seems to be a sheer lack of ability to either scout talent or coach and develop it....or (probably) both. This whole thing just needs to be utterly blown to pieces starting from KW all the way down to the minor league coaches and everyone in between. It would probably be a long rebuild, but it would be better than the black hole of below average this team has been for going on 5 straight years now.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 01:14 AM)
I don't see Hahn doing to much different than what KW did. It makes me think that's the only way Reinsdorf wants it.

Unfortunately probably a lot of truth to your comment...and you see the results the last nine years. It's simply not working.

Mark