White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
If you aren't going to get a quality deal for Sale or Q now, there is no reason to move them. Deal them in the winter when you have more teams in the mix and an extremely weak free agent crop. Getting rid of Duke is a good start and signals they aren't competing next year. So start dumping Jackson, Avila, Navarro, & Morneau for anything you can get now. Dump anyone of Frazier, Gonzalez, Robertson, Shields, Lawrie, Melky, Abreu, & Garcia now if you get a nice return. If not try to deal them in the offseason as well, or in Avi's case do not offer arbitration.

I hope you're right.

More teams are in it in the winter, but not that many as rebulders won't trade for him. And the pressure and the premium are there in July. Supposedly the Sox are looking for players off of ML rosters, which suggests retooling , not rebuilding, and not a serious effort at that (contenders aren't going to trade their contributors). They could probably get a quality deal for sale now...just not with all that many ML ready guys.

We'll see.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I hope you're right.

More teams are in it in the winter, but the pressure and the premium are there in July. Supposedly the Sox are looking for players off of ML rosters, which suggests retooling , not rebuilding, and not a serious effort at that (contenders aren't going to trade their contributors).

We'll see.

Like others, I have my doubts in the FO in making the right deals. If the Sox were going for it in 2017 wouldn't trading Duke ($5.5 in 2017) signal the end of that thought? Or do they think that Tilson is their answer in CF, and he will push them past the .500 mark and into the playoffs next season? Who are their C's for 2017? Who's in our pen next year? We'll find out a lot in the next 26 hours. Hopefully it's a tear down/rebuild job.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m2 minutes ago

The fact they're meeting in the dugout in full view of several beat writers would seem to suggest nothing is imminent. But we'll see.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 6m6 minutes ago

Meeting now expanded to include Frank Wren, Allard Baird and Brian O'Halloran.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 14m14 minutes ago

Dave Dombrowski, Mike Hazen and John Farrell now meeting in Anaheim.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Dodgers looking at Archer today. They obviously want a top shelf pitcher. Work out a deal, please.

Sox scouts are apparently at that game. Can't figure out why though.

Keuchel getting rocked today already. Another team who could use a pitcher.

The Dodgers don't have enough positional talent to acquire Sale.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m2 minutes ago

The fact they're meeting in the dugout in full view of several beat writers would seem to suggest nothing is imminent. But we'll see.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 6m6 minutes ago

Meeting now expanded to include Frank Wren, Allard Baird and Brian O'Halloran.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 14m14 minutes ago

Dave Dombrowski, Mike Hazen and John Farrell now meeting in Anaheim.

I'm sorry, what does this mean?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
I'm sorry, what does this mean?

I feel like the GM, the senior vp of operations and the manager holding a meeting the day before trade deadline would suggest something is up.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
I feel like the GM, the senior vp of operations and the manager holding a meeting the day before trade deadline would suggest something is up.

Naw, they're all just comparing notes on poop reports. Talking about color, consistency, foreign objects visible, etc.

Trying to determine if team diet should change or not.

I have come around to wanting to stand pat. Whereas I thought even a poor front office could get a great return for Sale or Q, I found out that was false. I would prefer we try this with a new group leading it. Zero confidence vote.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Jayson Stark - Based on what i've heard, "less than 5% chance" Sale is moved.

"More curious than serious".

That's not surprising. Hahn might have more takers this winter.

I hope that the Sox are able to at least move Shields and Robertson for something of value.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
I have come around to wanting to stand pat. Whereas I thought even a poor front office could get a great return for Sale or Q, I found out that was false. I would prefer we try this with a new group leading it. Zero confidence vote.

Problem is this front office is going nowhere. Typically when your GM comes out and says the team he put together is "mired in mediocrity" that should be a cue to ownership that a change should be made here. Not gonna happen here though. If we don't rebuild with Hahn & KW, then we'll certainly reload with them.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
I expect they'll trade Robertson if they can find a suitor. I wouldn't expect the return to be much more than a Tilson type.

Otherwise, yeah. They're done.

I don't see them trading Sale, Quintana, Frazier type players.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
Problem is this front office is going nowhere. Typically when your GM comes out and says the team he put together is "mired in mediocrity" that should be a cue to ownership that a change should be made here. Not gonna happen here though. If we don't rebuild with Hahn & KW, then we'll certainly reload with them.

Sucks we don't have the resources to bring in other good relievers and offensive pieces.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
Sucks we don't have the resources to bring in other good relievers and offensive pieces.

We just traded for a 4th OF type and he was ranked as our 5th best prospect by MLB.com. That should be a wake up call to everyone that this organization doesn't have the resources needed to put together a winning team anytime soon.

We need to blow it up whether or not Hahn & KW are in charge or not.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
I have this awful feeling that holding on to Sale past the deadline is somehow going to bite this organization in the ass.

Wouldn't it be the most White Sox thing that could happen, though? Hahn waits to get more suitors in offseason, meanwhile Sale either has a miserable half season or gets injured, tanking his value.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
That's not surprising. Hahn might have more takers this winter.

I hope that the Sox are able to at least move Shields and Robertson for something of value.

Yes but not alot of teams has what it takes to acquire sale or Quintana. Going to be most likey same teams now that are in contention and the off season. Boston, texas, dodgers and now the yankees are probablya few of the teams that have resources to acquire sale or q. Not sure really any other teams that can.