Zack Burdi not coming to Chicago this season

Baron

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
You dropped too few names here. The Sox have had a number of unprovens succeed in the closer role. Jenks was called up from AA and closed a world series 3 months later. Reed was called up and 2/3 of the games he pitched in during his rookie year were games he finished. Santos, of course, came almost out of no where to be a closer. Santiago closing was Robin making terrible choices, Thornton closing made sense but he turned out to just not have the mental makeup for it. The ChiSox have created their own out of an unproven guy several times.

I would have no issue looking at Burdi as a closer long-term, but if that's the case then calling him up this year or even before April 25 next year is just financially stupid. It would be as responsible as taking $15 million and lighting it on fire.

We already did that with Shields' $22 or $27 or whatever it is million remaining...

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
Not quite. His tweet was more of opinion than actual fact that they will.

No, that's pretty much exactly what he said, in this thread

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Dave's source in that tweet is me. I'd expect him up in a week or so. I'll get more info soon.

If you see Burdi's gamelogs, the Sox have him throwing every third day. He'll continue on that path. Buddy Bell and Curt Hasler saw one of his last outings.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
Sure. Right after he said Dave is using him as his source

Spin it however you feel, rabbit was on it

Except the comment you're posting about is from 4 days ago. The tweet Dave had is today. Not sure why you're arguing about nothing haha

Edited by soxfan2014