Police keep killing black people

Quin

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
Well, after two weeks of protests it appears to me the St. Louis protests are over. Life goes on until the next incident. Maybe there will be no more incidents. We can hope and if we are religious, pray.

LOL.

These incidents have been happening your entire life. You've just been able to turn a blind eye to them because there weren't camera phones and you didn't have to worry about it happening to you or your family because...well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 07:55 PM)
LOL.

These incidents have been happening your entire life. You've just been able to turn a blind eye to them because there weren't camera phones and you didn't have to worry about it happening to you or your family because...well.

Don't you hope/and or pray they stop? There has been a lot of progress with body cams, etc. Now we just need juries to convict.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:10 AM)
Don't you hope/and or pray they stop? There has been a lot of progress with body cams, etc. Now we just need juries to convict.

what progress? the cops still get off with exactly zero consequences.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 11:10 PM)

I don't hope and pray about anything. That doesn't do a darn thing. I vote with these issues in mind, call representatives, try to educate myself about the local laws before my district blows up over something similar. Try not to be the person turning a blind eye, and try to support the people who have had to deal with this rather than insisting they go away so you can go back to turning a blind eye.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
I don't hope and pray about anything. That doesn't do a darn thing. I vote with these issues in mind, call representatives, try to educate myself about the local laws before my district blows up over something similar. Try not to be the person turning a blind eye, and try to support the people who have had to deal with this rather than insisting they go away so you can go back to turning a blind eye.

I'm just pointing out another incident has come and gone. Did the blocking of traffic, smashing of windows of businesses, arrests of a lot of people whom I'm sure right about now (lawyer fees, rioting on their record forever) wish they hadn't protested, prove worth anything? At least your actions, calling representatives, might help some.

So another incident is over. Judges and jurors have been slow to convict cops in these cases. Maybe prosecutors will do a better job getting these cops convicted.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
I'm just pointing out another incident has come and gone. Did the blocking of traffic, smashing of windows of businesses, arrests of a lot of people whom I'm sure right about now (lawyer fees, rioting on their record forever) wish they hadn't protested, prove worth anything? At least your actions, calling representatives, might help some.

So another incident is over. Judges and jurors have been slow to convict cops in these cases. Maybe prosecutors will do a better job getting these cops convicted.

It made you pay attention.

I was wrong. Big time protests Tuesday in St. Looie. The protestors shut down a highway and 143 people paid for it by getting arrested. So because these people blocked a highway which is very dangerous, their lives are basically ruined. The protestors will never be able to find jobs as they all will have serious charges on their records. All because the are unwilling to protest legally. They've got to go block a highway even though it's been documented time and again they are preventing people from taking loved ones to hospitals on said highway.

More power to those arrested I guess. In standing up for what they believe (as dumb as it is to march on a highway; I pray no people who needed to get to the hospital died on the highway) they've sacrificed future paychecks for this half-assed protest.

Now if they protested LEGALLY, in front of city hall during the day or something, they might have actually gotten some publicity. Instead they protest at night, shut down a highway, get kettled, arrested, need to pay for bail, a lawyer. And the only publicity they get is from youtubers on the scene.

So to all the dads out there, if your son or daughter marched on a highway illegally for this cause and got arrested, would you approve? Would you be happy? Would you be willing to support them the rest of their lives, cause they won't be working any high paying jobs with this on their records? Look ... it's f***ing stupid to break the law in protest of issues. It's fine to protest LEGALLY. It's great to protest legally. But tell me, if your relatives were arrested for this, you'd be proud? Or furious?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
BUT DON'T KNEEL FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

So you won't accept the fact I consider that a "team" issue? Wrong for one guy to be on an island in a team sport.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 5, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
greg just doesn't really "get" civil disobedience

I get that they had to spend 16 hours in jail, get booked, post bail, now have court dates to get sentenced to jail or probation and now can't find a job that pays squat the rest of their lives. I watched the 45 minute Reb Z video of their protest on the highway and subsequent arrests. Chanting s*** that nobody hears cept a couple hundred youtubers and ultimately getting arrested does not seem so smart to me.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
Police murdering citizens and facing no consequences can happen to white people, too.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Don't watch unless you want to see a man murdered while crying for his life and crawling towards the police as instructed. The officer was just acquitted.

How was he acquitted? What in the actual heck?

Edited by KagakuOtoko

In the Walter Scott case, where in a rare turn of events an officer was actually held accountable and just sentenced to 20 years for murdering a man, some of the initial jurors in the first mistrial said after the fact that they just couldn't imagine ever finding a cop guilty.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
How was he acquitted? What in the actual heck?

Again, the rules are written in such a way that it is really difficult to convict a police officer in the line of duty. The level of intent that has to be proved is nearly impossible to achieve in a court of law.

Thankfully, this guy wasn't killed, but it shows why even being as non-threatening as possible, laying on the ground with your hands up in the air while you calmly talk to the police, can still lead to you getting shot.

Florida police shoot black man lying down with arms in air

The police wanted to shoot a severely autistic man who was sitting in the street holding a toy, and his caregiver intervened. They ended up shooting him in the leg instead.

While lying on his back in the street with his arms in the air, Charles Kinsey told police that he was a behavioral therapist caring for the autistic patient who sat next to him. Despite this, Kinsey left the scene with a gunshot wound to the leg.

Footage released late on Wednesday by Kinsey’s lawyer, shows Kinsey, an unarmed black man, on his back while his patient plays with a toy truck in the moments before an officer opened fire, wounding Kinsey in the leg. The shooting was yet another incident which exposed the fault lines between police and communities of color in the US.

Kinsey, who was not seriously wounded and was expected to go home on Thursday, told local news station WSVN that he asked the officer why he shot at him. Kinsey said: “His words were, ‘I don’t know.’”

“I was really more worried about him [the patient] more than myself because … once I’ve got my hands up they’re not going to shoot me, this is what I’m thinking, they’re not going to shoot me,” Kinsey said. “Wow, was I wrong.”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
Police murdering citizens and facing no consequences can happen to white people, too.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Don't watch unless you want to see a man murdered while crying for his life and crawling towards the police as instructed. The officer was just acquitted.

I think people occasionally give the police too much s*** over these shootings, but this one and the Minnesota one are simply unbelievable. Why couldn’t they just handcuff this dude? Why did they force him to crawl to them? They’re carrying assault rifles, if he pulled out a weapon while they approached him they would have been able to unload multiple shots before the suspect could even fire one. This guy definitely deserves a murder charge IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
I think people occasionally give the police too much s*** over these shootings, but this one and the Minnesota one are simply unbelievable. Why couldn’t they just handcuff this dude? Why did they force him to crawl to them? They’re carrying assault rifles, if he pulled out a weapon while they approached him they would have been able to unload multiple shots before the suspect could even fire one. This guy definitely deserves a murder charge IMO.

I first read this story last week from Connor Friedersdorf and I'll never watch the video. I cannot believe he was acquitted. This was not a "snap decision". They had this guy here following orders MULTIPLE times.

And now the family will go to civil court, certainly get restitution from the tax payers.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
If you're that guy though, why on earth are you reaching behind your back?????? He just warned you 5 seconds prior that he would shoot you! I'm shocked he was acquitted, but would not have been shocked by a hung jury.

He was shouting at the guy for four minutes straight with a gun pointed at him. Some of his commands included laying down, crawling, putting your hands up and keeping your legs crossed, all simultaneously.

Why on earth do we not hold police, who had their service weapons personally engraved with "YOU'RE f***D," to a higher standard than we're holding the civilians they're murdering? How confident are you in how you'd react in a literal life-and-death situation with the adrenaline flowing while someone is shouting contradictory orders at you while telling you they're going to shoot you?