Tyler Saladino

BigHurt3515

I think you are all overstating the pessimism of Saladino at SS. When we started acquiring, I think it was just weighted with "if we are going to compete you need more than a .620 OPS player at short". That was true, but was least of our troubles.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was also uncertainty of whether he could hold up defensively along with the surgery issue.

And he looked Carlos Sanchez bad for much of last season offensively. The White Sox must have felt the same thing, because they gave regular at bats to Alexei down the stretch even knowing he was likely to be gone in the offseason.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
Get rid of Lawrie. Case closed.

I guess everybody devalues Saladino cause of where he was chosen in the draft. Sorry, stat nerds (I say that lovingly) and draftniks ... the eye test is all that matters on Saladino. Sox are too dumb to play him, however. Sox scouts and front office and coaching staff is a fricking joke.

This is your worst post in a while.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 05:51 AM)
Player A

Age 27

550 Career PA's

.737 OPS

95 wRC+

14.3 UZR/150

1.2 fWAR

Player B

Age 26.5

2,417 Career PA's

.723 OPS

91 wRC+

-7.7 UZR/150

0.8 fWAR

Those are only 2016 stats and the UZR/150 values are for 2B only. Regardless, I'll easily take player A as my starting 2B over player B. Not only has Saladino been far more productive this year due to his defense, he's also a less developed player and has room for growth despite being slightly older than Lawrie. I'm certain that with a full year of regular playing time his BB rate would increase (look at his minor league numbers) and he could become a 3 WAR 2B. Factor in the team control and there really is no argument for starting Lawrie over Saladino.

So you posted their ages and career PA, and then immediately put their 2016 numbers below them?

For anyone who is justifiably confused, Lawrie's career wRC+ is 100, and Saladino's is 80. And that is why Lawrie will get the first chance to start over Saladino.

Saladino has been a great find this year. His numbers were much better in part time duty, but he has even held up pretty well after Lawrie's injury put him in starting line up. The best thing we take away from this season is that the White Sox farm system has drafted and fully developed two starting position players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
Saladino has been a great find this year. His numbers were much better in part time duty, but he has even held up pretty well after Lawrie's injury put him in starting line up. The best thing we take away from this season is that the White Sox farm system has drafted and fully developed two starting position players.

They drafted and developed one that is starting for Oakland as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
They drafted and developed one that is starting for Oakland as well.

To me Semien is one that falls into that category, though this removes the doubt of if Oakland had some amount of influence over the final product. With Saladino and Anderson, there is no question.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)

And Narvaez isn't looking bad either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
No need to play that game. Lets just admire this 3 position, great base running, great defense, super sub we've developed.

That was exactly my point. We should be focusing on the fact that despite the legend behind the farm system developing position players, it has put not one, but two starters on the field this year for the White Sox..

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
Jake Peter may come up next year and be a solid utility type as well.

Which is great, we need to start seeing some of these kids graduate even if they are super sub quality like Peters/Alvarez. Saves us from the Bonifacio/Beckham type signings.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Which is great, we need to start seeing some of these kids graduate even if they are super sub quality like Peters/Alvarez. Saves us from the Bonifacio/Beckham type signings.

They are graduating, especially if you include position players drafted and developed by the White Sox, and playing elsewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
That was exactly my point. We should be focusing on the fact that despite the legend behind the farm system developing position players, it has put not one, but two starters on the field this year for the White Sox..

Great. So let's stop trading our farmhands for over the hill bums.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
I just get mad when people can't see what I see: In Saladino I see a regular, everyday player. He's more than some once a week utility guy.

Playing on a regular basis, he continues to hit. He needs to be an everyday player until he proves otherwise. By the way, Avi is also on a tear.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
I just get mad when people can't see what I see: In Saladino I see a regular, everyday player. He's more than some once a week utility guy.

There has been one poster all year or at least before Saladino began started, Stryker. We had quite a few arguments in the beginning of the year, I won. lol

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
So you posted their ages and career PA, and then immediately put their 2016 numbers below them?

For anyone who is justifiably confused, Lawrie's career wRC+ is 100, and Saladino's is 80. And that is why Lawrie will get the first chance to start over Saladino.

I posted their career PA's to show that one is a finished product and the other is not despite their similar age.

And I would have expected a lot more from you than simply comparing career wRC+ of a guy who has played 4+ full seasons vs. a guy with less one full season. One guy is improving and the other guy is arguably regressing. And take out Lawrie's ridiculous cup of coffee, which clearly has been an abberation, and he's closer to a 96 wRC+ hitter for his career (or basically where Saladino is right now). Factor in 2B defense, where Saladino has been the superior player this season (SSS) and I'm not sure what the argument is.

Seems like you're expecting Saladino to regress for some reason and I can't understand why.