Tyler Saladino

BigHurt3515

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Darrin Jackson comment on this tonight on the radio and while I like Darrin Jackson and respect his opinion, especially since he is a former player and most assuredly knows more about baseball than I do; I disagree with him on Saladino. He echoed the sentiment that Lawrie should regain the starting 2nd baseman position and Saladino should be the utility player.

I think that Saladino is a better player than Lawrie and Saladino should start over him. Lawrie can be the utility guy or be traded.

Get rid of Lawrie. Case closed.

I guess everybody devalues Saladino cause of where he was chosen in the draft. Sorry, stat nerds (I say that lovingly) and draftniks ... the eye test is all that matters on Saladino. Sox are too dumb to play him, however. Sox scouts and front office and coaching staff is a fricking joke.

There is absolutely no reason to move Saladino. A good team needs depth. Dino is the perfect depth player who can hit a little, play solid D, and can move around the field. He's an asset, and a cheap one. He's a no brainer to keep on this team, whether he's a super-utility guy or a 2B starter, you keep him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)

I guess everybody devalues Saladino cause of where he was chosen in the draft. Sorry, stat nerds (I say that lovingly) and draftniks ... the eye test is all that matters on Saladino. Sox are too dumb to play him, however. Sox scouts and front office and coaching staff is a fricking joke.

Absolutely nobody is or has done that.

Uh, no one said that.

As for Saladino, keep him as a super sub for right now. But definitely needs to be playing near daily.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
There is absolutely no reason to move Saladino. A good team needs depth. Dino is the perfect depth player who can hit a little, play solid D, and can move around the field. He's an asset, and a cheap one. He's a no brainer to keep on this team, whether he's a super-utility guy or a 2B starter, you keep him.

This x2

If Lawrie is traded and an infielder goes down for any length of time Leury Garcia will become an every day player. All of a sudden infield depth will become as big a weakness as outfield depth was for us this season. I think Tilson and Narvaez are capable backups though but we need Saladino to be able to cover the rest of the positions.

Edited by soxforlife05

Carlos Sanchez would probably be given the job over Leury, but neither replacement would be ideal.

The thing with Saladino is that they really need to send him to winter ball to play the outfield and see if he can become a Zobrist/Desmond/Whit Merrifield type who can play multiple infield positions and at least two outfield positions, if not all 3.

That type of strategy has worked exceedingly well over the years in Tampa, with Maddon doing the same with Zobrist, Keppinger, Sean Rodriguez, Forsythe, etc.

Josh Harrison, Martin Prado and Aviles are other examples that come to mind.

Edited by caulfield12

Agreed with Caulfield, with the caveat that Saladino did try to play OF in AAA and got injured.

But if Saladino could gain the ability to play a corner OF and possibly even first, he could become an extremely valuable super-utility with his defense, base running, speed and bat.

Lawrie starting at second with Saladino getting consistent starts everywhere is much more appealing than Saladino starting at second with Sanchez/Leury being the bench player.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 03:06 AM)
Agreed with Caulfield, with the caveat that Saladino did try to play OF in AAA and got injured.

But if Saladino could gain the ability to play a corner OF and possibly even first, he could become an extremely valuable super-utility with his defense, base running, speed and bat.

Lawrie starting at second with Saladino getting consistent starts everywhere is much more appealing than Saladino starting at second with Sanchez/Leury being the bench player.

We all know he can play 2nd. We have also seen him play 3rd very well. He may not have the range for SS but as a backup there he could do the job for a game or 2. With a little teaching, he can possibly play 1st.

How many players does a team run across that can play all 4 infield positions and maybe a corner outfield one?

This is a no brainer. Keep him. Depth is so important to succeed in a very long season.

He should be playing everyday next season. This kid just has a good baseball IQ and has done what has been asked of him every time he is put in the lineup. I don't care about Lawrie who's gone after 2017 and probably won't even be healthy enough to use as a trade chip next season either.

Player A

Age 27

550 Career PA's

.737 OPS

95 wRC+

14.3 UZR/150

1.2 fWAR

Player B

Age 26.5

2,417 Career PA's

.723 OPS

91 wRC+

-7.7 UZR/150

0.8 fWAR

Those are only 2016 stats and the UZR/150 values are for 2B only. Regardless, I'll easily take player A as my starting 2B over player B. Not only has Saladino been far more productive this year due to his defense, he's also a less developed player and has room for growth despite being slightly older than Lawrie. I'm certain that with a full year of regular playing time his BB rate would increase (look at his minor league numbers) and he could become a 3 WAR 2B. Factor in the team control and there really is no argument for starting Lawrie over Saladino.

Just a few other observations:

Saladino has been far less prone to strike out than Lawrie, who was on pace to fan more than 150 times. Not acceptable for a middle infielder.

Lawrie is stronger and a more gifted athlete, but doesn't have Tyler's baseball acumen.

That awful hitch in Lawrie's swing will probably prevent him from ever reaching his offensive potential.

If the Sox don't start Lawrie, he should be traded. He is not a good candidate to be a bench player.

If they traded Lawrie, who would be the back up at second? Would it be Sanchez, L. Garcia, or E. Alvarez?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 04:51 AM)
Player A

Age 27

550 Career PA's

.737 OPS

95 wRC+

14.3 UZR/150

1.2 fWAR

Player B

Age 26.5

2,417 Career PA's

.723 OPS

91 wRC+

-7.7 UZR/150

0.8 fWAR

Those are only 2016 stats and the UZR/150 values are for 2B only. Regardless, I'll easily take player A as my starting 2B over player B. Not only has Saladino been far more productive this year due to his defense, he's also a less developed player and has room for growth despite being slightly older than Lawrie. I'm certain that with a full year of regular playing time his BB rate would increase (look at his minor league numbers) and he could become a 3 WAR 2B. Factor in the team control and there really is no argument for starting Lawrie over Saladino.

There you have it right there in a nutshell. You mentioned everything but running and Saladio is also superior in that. No one should want Lawrie as a starter , too many K's , too often injured. Too often we hear that a super sub is too valuable to start. Just not true. Valuable is valuable and everyday is better than part time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 05:52 AM)
Saladino has played every position but catcher and pitcher this year. I did read last year, they were reluctant to use him in the OF due to his TJ surgery. Robin said yesterday he is more valuable moving around than playing one position.

What's funny is he is actually our emergency catcher and can do so adequately if needed

Lawrie would have had 20-30 doubles and 20 homers had he stayed healthy. It doesn't really matter at this point though because I'm pretty confident the rebuild is coming. Saladino is fine, my only issue is when people act like he's some kid. He's 27 years old. Very solid utility guy. Not a 1st Division regular though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
Lawrie would have had 20-30 doubles and 20 homers had he stayed healthy. It doesn't really matter at this point though because I'm pretty confident the rebuild is coming. Saladino is fine, my only issue is when people act like he's some kid. He's 27 years old. Very solid utility guy. Not a 1st Division regular though.

I disagree that he could not be "1ST Division regular". His performance this year, is certainly more than adequate as a second baseman. If he were surrounded by an adequate offense, his spot in the lower third of the lineup would be just fine.

I was trying to find a thread where we predicted what would be acceptable from Saladino, and I swear it ranged from .630-.650 OPS with stellar defense.

Cheers to him on being the one player to truly surpass expectations. The sox have been slowly getting position players to develop into regulars. Now we just need some all stars. That parts easy, thou, obviously.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Maybe not exactly as greg said but go back a year or year and a half and you will see many here deriding Saladino much the same way Carlos Sanchez is now.

Yes. In the offseason, the thought of Saladino at SS really upset a few.

OTOH, he has been really hot lately, so he probably is a bit more popular at the moment than he should be. He's a valuable guy to have around though, for sure.