2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
I have no opinion, but in a vacuum, I hope they get a bat. But I won't criticize the pick tonight either way.

I'm pretty much the same, but would be disappointed if Kendall is the call. I understand all the tools, but the strikeouts are a problem, and the White Sox have been an organization where that hasn't been something they have had success even slightly correcting. If they take him, I hope I am wrong and he's a star. But if he's striking out 175 times in high A, it will be well, what did you expect?

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much of the Bukauskas talk is based on real info and how much is conjecture based on previous (non-Hostetler) picks. It seems like the Sox generally have few info leaks compared to some orgs.

Anyways, if it comes to Bukauskas, Kendall, or White, i'd rather have White.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:39 AM)

Nice find. The article is from May 2010. Plenty of time for the first group of players to make MLB and I recognize no one. I don't follow as close as some but even his subsequent groups have very very few useful players. With regard to Kendall, a k rate of 26% as a freshman and 25% now makes me want to pass. If they couldn't fix his k's, I am not sure our organization has any track record of success. It is shocking to me how much players strikeout today compared to the past.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
I wonder how much of the Bukauskas talk is based on real info and how much is conjecture based on previous (non-Hostetler) picks. It seems like the Sox generally have few info leaks compared to some orgs.

Anyways, if it comes to Bukauskas, Kendall, or White, i'd rather have White.

I think more of it may just be people did not expect Bukauskus past 10 and are trying to figure out where he'd stop sliding.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:48 AM)
Nice find. The article is from May 2010. Plenty of time for the first group of players to make MLB and I recognize no one. I don't follow as close as some but even his subsequent groups have very very few useful players. With regard to Kendall, a k rate of 26% as a freshman and 25% now makes me want to pass. If they couldn't fix his k's, I am not sure our organization has any track record of success. It is shocking to me how much players strikeout today compared to the past.

Yes, strikeouts are just enormous. You go back to high k guys like Adam Dunn and Jim Thome, who both provided 40 homers and a lot of on base, their k rates in the minor leagues weren't all that high. They are only going to go higher with Kendall IMO.

I know strikeouts were considered no big deal for a while, but to me that made no sense. The reasoning was an out was an out. But even then, runners couldn't advance, and it blew off putting a ball in play gave you a decent shot at a hit. Strikeouts for hitters meant nothing, yet k-rate for pitchers seemed almost most important. Very odd.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
Yes, strikeouts are just enormous. You go back to high k guys like Adam Dunn and Jim Thome, who both provided 40 homers and a lot of on base, their k rates in the minor leagues weren't all that high. They are only going to go higher with Kendall IMO.

I know strikeouts were considered no big deal for a while, but to me that made no sense. The reasoning was an out was an out. But even then, runners couldn't advance, and it blew off putting a ball in play gave you a decent shot at a hit. Strikeouts for hitters meant nothing, yet k-rate for pitchers seemed almost most important. Very odd.

I think it's turning, Astros seemed to want to get more contact guys this past year with Beltran and McCann instead of players like Castro.

I say all of this,a nd was the one who found the hardball times article, but I just can't give up on Kendall. I really think there is something there that will be great.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)

Yeah, I guess I am old but I hate K's. They do nothing for the team. The k with a runner on third with one or less outs sends me into a rant. Fast guys need to put the ball in play and pressure the defense. I love the pressure speed puts on the defensive teams but only if done correctly. The talk of a high strikeout guy as a top of the order hitter I don't get. #9 ok. "Fast" guys who steal at 50-60% success rate I don't get either. For pitchers, I hate walks. K's are great but gimme guys with low WHIPs all day long.

Ks are OK if you hit the ball exceptionally hard and if you take a ton of walks (like dunn).

Kendall definitely has power but his college K rate point to mid 30s plus k rate in pro ball if not high 30s.

The guys who make mid 30s work all have at least 70 power if not 80 (Sano, gallo). Even with 60 power (high 20s home runs in mlb) 35% definitely does not work long term. I think kendall has power but I'm not sure he has Sano kind of power (hitting 450+ foot homers all the time).

Now I read he focused on baseball late so there might be room to improve but imo you only take him if you believe you can significantly improve his contact by making adjustments.

Regarding bukauskas I don't see it. Most reports have him fall out of the top10 and probably to about 15 to 20.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Ks are OK if you hit the ball exceptionally hard and if you take a ton of walks (like dunn).

Kendall definitely has power but his college K rate point to mid 30s plus k rate in pro ball if not high 30s.

The guys who make mid 30s work all have at least 70 power if not 80 (Sano, gallo). Even with 60 power (high 20s home runs in mlb) 35% definitely does not work long term. I think kendall has power but I'm not sure he has Sano kind of power (hitting 450+ foot homers all the time).

Now I read he focused on baseball late so there might be room to improve but imo you only take him if you believe you can significantly improve his contact by making adjustments.

Regarding bukauskas I don't see it. Most reports have him fall out of the top10 and probably to about 15 to 20.

The contact issues are a big concern for me with Kendall the more I look at it. He's only going to face better pitching as he moves along, and a 28% K rate in college will only go up in the minors. I'm sure I could talk myself into the upside if we select him, but the hit tool is too much of a red flag for me at #11 overall.

At 11: Immhooing for either Smith, Kendall, Haseley, Addell, Bukauskas and I wouldn't be upset if they went with Pearson, which is not going to happen.

Rounds 2-10: Mark Vientos, Jake Eder, Chris Seise, Caden Lemons, Garett Cave, Jake Holmes.

I've soured on Kendall too. The hit tool just doesn't seem good enough — it seems like he'll be overmatched as he moves up the latter. Taking the glovework out of the picture, can anyone compare Evan White to Pavin Smith as a hitter? They're both intriguing to me.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
I've soured on Kendall too. The hit tool just doesn't seem good enough — it seems like he'll be overmatched as he moves up the latter. Taking the glovework out of the picture, can anyone compare Evan White to Pavin Smith as a hitter? They're both intriguing to me.

I believe Smith is considered to have a slightly better hit tool and more power projection. White is so much more athletic though and could realistically be an asset in a corner OF spot. I really like White.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
Frankie Piliere @FPiliereD1

14m

Race for #1 pick is not over. #Twins giving serious late consideration to taking Royce Lewis. Down to the wire on him & McKay #MLBDraft

Wow. This is gonna be a blast! Wish the damned thing started now :lolhitting

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
I believe Smith is considered to have a slightly better hit tool and more power projection. White is so much more athletic though and could realistically be an asset in a corner OF spot. I really like White.

I've seen people suggest Smith could add power. Don't forget UVa is a huge park

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)

14m

Race for #1 pick is not over. #Twins giving serious late consideration to taking Royce Lewis. Down to the wire on him & McKay #MLBDraft

SOunds like someone is really trying to get an underslot deal done by pitting the two kids against each other.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)

The more I read on White, the more I like him too.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)

14m

Someone with twitter should ask Frankie about the WSox

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
White also has ties to places the Sox love- he's from Ohio and plays for Kentucky. I know Laumann isn't the guy anymore but just sayin.

The second he got drafted, he would be best defensive player in the organization