2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Evan White a right handed version of Cody Bellinger? What does everyone think of that comp and the value at pick #11?

Much less power there. He can hit but might not hit for enough power at 1b. He probably could play a corner pretty ok though.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
Nice article by ESPN on best players from each draft slot since it started in 1965. They based everything on WAR.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1955342...every-spot-1-30

McCutcheon, Scherzer & G Springer best at #11.

Sale best ever at #13.

2nd best pick at #16 is....Brett Lawrie.

My thoughts are that you really need a top 3 pick to have a chance at a superstar and a top 15 pick to really even have a chance at anything more than a crapshoot.

Shows how much talent there is outside the first round ( some of those slots were mighty thin, as you pointed out). it's a crapshoot but some shoot (evaluate talent) better than others.

11. Chicago White Sox - J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina

If Haseley fell to this spot, the Sox would be stoked. Jeren Kendall is also a name to watch at this point, but with their ability to develop arms and one of the premier pitchers in this class available, they could snatch him from falling further than he should. If Adell falls, they could pull the trigger.

Mock 1.0: Kyle Wright

Mock 2.0: Adam Haseley

Mock 3.0: Alex Faedo

link

7. Arizona Diamondbacks - Adam Haseley, OF, Virginia

Plug in the Virginia hitter of choice. Haseley is seen as the better option of the pair due to his outfield abilities and baseball IQ he gained from being on the mound and in the field. If Royce Lewis is passed over, he could land here.

Mock 1.0: D.L. Hall

Mock 2.0: J.B. Bukauskas

Mock 3.0: Adam Haseley

14. Kansas City Royals - Jeren Kendall, OF, Vanderbilt

Kansas City is making their rounds, making their list, and checking it twice. Prep or college, it doesn't matter. Kansas City is going after who they feel is best available under their format, and in this case, it's Kendall.

Mock 1.0: Jacob Heatherly

Mock 2.0: D.L. Hall

Mock 3.0: Austin Beck

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Law also has Sox taking Bukauskas. I'd rather have him over Kendall.

Same. JB has great stuff despite his regionals implosion. Trust the White Sox in getting much more out of him than Kendall. Plus I have a soft spot for diminutive pitchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Why don't you like JB?

I am not a huge fan either and have seen him in person a few times. Small stature, high effort delivery, etc. Not sure how well that could project in terms of being a starter.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
Same. JB has great stuff despite his regionals implosion. Trust the White Sox in getting much more out of him than Kendall. Plus I have a soft spot for diminutive pitchers.

Something that stood out to me in an interview Hostetler did is when he said he was hopeful that some guys that had been projected as top ten picks would fall to them due to wearing down at end of season. To me, that was in reference to JB

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Kendall and Bukauskas are the only 2 picks I'll actually be upset with and seem to be the 2 most mocked to us. Hopefully the mocks are all wrong...

I have a similar feeling. I would be ok with Kendall or Bukauskas but I'm hoping Arizona moves of Haseley and goes in on Bukauskas if the A's do go in a different direction with Beck.

I do like that scout has us picking Brendon Little with 49.

49. Chicago White Sox - Brendon Little, LHP, State JC of Florida

Chicago really wants an outfielder, and might go to the prep ranks here. However, a southpaw with Little's stuff usually doesn't fall in your lap. Even with the belief he'll end up a reliever in the long run, it would be a perfect fit for a team who develops pitchers as well as anyone.

A 3/4 flame throwing lefty that some are projecting for the pen at #49 similar enough to Chris Sale?? coincidence...I think not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Why don't you like JB?

Short right hander with a violent delivery...sound familiar? Not saying he can't succeed in the MLB, but I think it will most likely be in the bullpen if he does. That's if he manages to avoid arm troubles...he does pretty much everything you don't want to see a young pitcher do in terms of mechanics. Obviously anybody can hurt their arm pitching, but his odds are exponentially greater with how he throws in my opinion. There's a bunch of breakdowns of him on youtube

(good info here if you get past the ridiculous talking skeleton. just start at the 3 minute mark if you watch)

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Kendall and Bukauskas are the only 2 picks I'll actually be upset with and seem to be the 2 most mocked to us. Hopefully the mocks are all wrong...

I agree both players have some major concerns. I'm somehow crossing my fingers Haisley or Beck fall to #11

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
I agree both players have some major concerns. I'm somehow crossing my fingers Haisley or Beck fall to #11

And if not, pick Hiura. You'll likely be able to get him underslot, and his unknown defense is better than Kendall's known bad swing or Bukauskas's known bad mechanics.

Going back in time a year, I wish we would have went Rutherford instead of Collins last year. Will be interesting to see how those two play out. This year is so much less protectable past the top... roll the dice and take the best bat with high contact skills regardless of position or age.