World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get people hoping the Cubs win because their friends or family members are Cubs fans. IMO, however, I don't care. When they play the White Sox I am not happy for they when they win. My Cubs fan friends and family have made it through life just fine without a WS title, I am sure they will be fine if they don't win this year. Who knows, maybe winning would be bad for them.

A neighbor really let me have it after she said go Cubs to me and I responded enthusiastically with an ehh...

I know of no Cubs fans who were happy in October of 2005.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
I get people hoping the Cubs win because their friends or family members are Cubs fans. IMO, however, I don't care. When they play the White Sox I am not happy for they when they win. My Cubs fan friends and family have made it through life just fine without a WS title, I am sure they will be fine if they don't win this year. Who knows, maybe winning would be bad for them.

A neighbor really let me have it after she said go Cubs to me and I responded enthusiastically with an ehh...

I know of no Cubs fans who were happy in October of 2005.

What did she say? haha

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
What did she say? haha

She is several years older than me. She told me I was being childish and I should be happy for Chicago.

I told her as a White Sox fan, Cleveland winning isn't exactly ideal either, but she was definitely miffed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
She is several years older than me. She told me I was being childish and I should be happy for Chicago.

I told her as a White Sox fan, Cleveland winning isn't exactly ideal either, but she was definitely miffed.

I am sure she was childish in 2005.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I just don't get how any Sox fan could want the Cubs to win here. The long-term impact of the Cubs winning multiple championships could be catastrophic for our franchise, but apparently that's ok for some as long as one of their loved ones gets to end their "suffering". I just don't get that logic and I say that as someone who is married to a diehard Cubs fan. Sucks I have to root against her "well-being", but this is f***ing sports, not something important like her health. I don't like this participation trophy attitude our country has developed and watching good Sox fans on this site actively cheer on a direct & dangerous rival is really a sign of the times.

I couldn't agree more. It's sports, for god's sakes. People need to pump the brakes with all this maudlin nonsense. No one is required to root for a rival team because it would make their fans happy, despite the weird narrative that's taken hold among bandwagon Cub fans.

I just imagine my grandfather in heaven looking down on me and saying: "F the Cubs." (Which he undoubtedly is). There, now am I authorized to root against the intra-city rival Sox fans have rooted against for 100 years? Sheesh.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
I can't ever really hold too much against the Cubs because their run in 2003 was what got me paying attention to baseball again for the start of the 2004 season. I wasn't rooting for them then or now, but I do have to give them at least that much credit.

Their run in 2003 is what made me hate them in the first place.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
Their run in 2003 is what made me hate them in the first place.

I had a roommate who was a Cubs fan at the time, and I found their collapse humorous. Got me to start watching the Sox again the following spring. Pretty well-timed all things considered. I'd prefer them flaming out in an even more hilarious fashion than last year's NLCS sweep or 2003, but I won't be upset or anything if they do end up winning. I guess I'm lucky that the Cubs fans I deal with on a daily basis aren't douchebags about the Sox being awful and are just excited that their team is winning more than anything.

to a couple of the other people here, I don't think anyone is saying you're required to root for them or to not root against them, just explaining the reasons why some of us aren't.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
I had a roommate who was a Cubs fan at the time, and I found their collapse humorous. Got me to start watching the Sox again the following spring. Pretty well-timed all things considered. I'd prefer them flaming out in an even more hilarious fashion than last year's NLCS sweep or 2003, but I won't be upset or anything if they do end up winning. I guess I'm lucky that the Cubs fans I deal with on a daily basis aren't douchebags about the Sox being awful and are just excited that their team is winning more than anything.

to a couple of the other people here, I don't think anyone is saying you're required to root for them or to not root against them, just explaining the reasons why some of us aren't.

To be clear, the sentiments behind my comments were not addressed to anyone on this board in particular. But there are LOTS of people saying you're "required to root for or not root against the Cubs." I run into them constantly. There has been a blizzard of articles/social media postings suggesting you are a bad Chicagoan, or bad person, if you root against the Cubs. That's what I'm ranting about.

And I do feel like lots of Sox fans are internalizing that and feeling guilty about rooting against the Cubs. It's natural -- don't be ashamed! :lol:

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
To be clear, the sentiments behind my comments were not addressed to anyone on this board in particular. But there are LOTS of people saying you're "required to root for or not root against the Cubs." I run into them constantly. There has been a blizzard of articles/social media postings suggesting you are a bad Chicagoan, or bad person, if you root against the Cubs. That's what I'm ranting about.

And I do feel like lots of Sox fans are internalizing that and feeling guilty about rooting against the Cubs. It's natural -- don't be ashamed! :lol:

No guilt here. Go Tribe!

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Is this real?

I'm being 100% serious. Sox fans should be really worried about what happens to our franchise if the Cubs go on a Blackhawks-like run and win multiple championships. We'll continue to lose out on the next generation of baseball fans in Chicago and it will be incredibly difficult for us to get them back. My point is simply that there is an obvious downside to the Cubs winning that many here are completely ignoring. There's nothing wrong with wanting your friends and loved ones to be happy, but when it comes at the expense of your own team's well-being then I have to question your logic.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I am on pins and needles. Get this started. I want to see how the Tribe handles the cubs.

I honestly won't even tune in. Haven't tuned in yet for any of their games. I'm so petty I don't want to add to their ratings.

I'll check the box score before I go to bed. :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)

What the hell are Cub fans doing worrying about what Sox fans are doing and caring about right now? Are they really that insecure? I know when the Sox won, the last thing I cared about was the Cubs. I was too busy enjoying the ride to worry about who wasn't cheering loud enough.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)
Tonight is so big. Take game 1 and suddenly Arrieta's recent struggles loom large.

Indians need this game more than the Cubs do. Cubs have feasted on pitchers like Bauer and Tomlin all season. Indians need to win with Kluber games: 1 and 5 or 1, 4 and 7.

Edited by soxfan2014