World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
Is there any type of precedent for what Schwarber is doing? I have seen a lot of people say that they don't think he'll be able to hit with such a long layoff but I'm in the who the hell knows camp. I could easily see him being just fine or being completely awful because I have nothing to go off of.

I'm not sure but I know from personal experience that seeing live pitching after returning from an injury (for as little as a few week absence) took time to catch up with game speed again. This was only at the high school and college level so I can't imagine what it's like at the big league level. I'm very skeptical he'll enter the lineup after this extended layoff and immediately start crushing it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
yeah but those of us who grew up in Chicago have family members and loved ones that have been long suffering true Cubs fans. I dont want to see them heartbroken.

I have friends and family, including my wife, that I'd like to see experience it too. But there is just something holding back that doesn't allow me to root for them and get excited when good things happen. I enjoy the baseball and watch neutrally, but something just keeps me from turning that corner. I wonder what that is, ha.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
The city is going to be crazy either way. If you happen to live in Wrigleyville, I wouldn't imagine it being different than this past Saturday if they win on the road.

If they're going to be handed the trophy, I'd rather it be in the clubhouse in Cleveland than on their home field.

Come to think of it, maybe 6 games is bad...that's the day the Sox home park becomes Guaranteed Rate Field. The jokes write themselves.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
You can say that again. I bet at least 60-65% of their fan base is bandwagon/post 2010 fans.

I actually tried to get into hockey in 2009. Liked Havlat the most on the Hawks.

Then just decided hockey isn't for me. So I'll pull for the Hawks out of city pride, but don't proclaim myself as a fan.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
I have friends and family, including my wife, that I'd like to see experience it too. But there is just something holding back that doesn't allow me to root for them and get excited when good things happen. I enjoy the baseball and watch neutrally, but something just keeps me from turning that corner. I wonder what that is, ha.

I'm the same, my in laws, father and wife are all huge Cubs fans, especially my in laws. I am not openly rooting for them, but I do want them to win.

I just don't get how any Sox fan could want the Cubs to win here. The long-term impact of the Cubs winning multiple championships could be catastrophic for our franchise, but apparently that's ok for some as long as one of their loved ones gets to end their "suffering". I just don't get that logic and I say that as someone who is married to a diehard Cubs fan. Sucks I have to root against her "well-being", but this is f***ing sports, not something important like her health. I don't like this participation trophy attitude our country has developed and watching good Sox fans on this site actively cheer on a direct & dangerous rival is really a sign of the times.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
I wonder if that Indians fan who used to beat the drum still comes to the park? I remember him from a long time ago.

Yes, he still sits at the top of the bleachers.

I hate that guy. He ranks up there with the guy who used to sing opera while selling hot dogs in Detroit of people I despise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
Yes, he still sits at the top of the bleachers.

I hate that guy. He ranks up there with the guy who used to sing opera while selling hot dogs in Detroit of people I despise.

I haven't heard the drum this year I don't think, and I watched a reasonable number of Indians home games this year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I just don't get how any Sox fan could want the Cubs to win here. The long-term impact of the Cubs winning multiple championships could be catastrophic for our franchise, but apparently that's ok for some as long as one of their loved ones gets to end their "suffering". I just don't get that logic and I say that as someone who is married to a diehard Cubs fan. Sucks I have to root against her "well-being", but this is f***ing sports, not something important like her health. I don't like this participation trophy attitude our country has developed and watching good Sox fans on this site actively cheer on a direct & dangerous rival is really a sign of the times.

I don't know if many are actively rooting. Just accepting that it can happen. And if it does? Oh well, life goes on. Like you said "this is f***ing sports, not something important."

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
I don't know if many are actively rooting. Just accepting that it can happen. And if it does? Oh well, life goes on. Like you said "this is f***ing sports, not something important."

There are some here actively rooting for the Cubs. Whether or not they are all truly Sox fans is another question altogether.

Rajai Davis® CF

Jason Kipnis(L) 2B

Francisco Lindor(S) SS

Mike Napoli® 1B

Carlos Santana(S) DH

Jose Ramirez(S) 3B

Brandon Guyer® LF

Lonnie Chisenhall(L) RF

Roberto Perez® C

Dexter Fowler(S) CF

Kris Bryant® 3B

Anthony Rizzo(L) 1B