World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
Bullpen arms seem to fluctuate from year to year. Who knows, maybe it'll be their Achilles heal next season.

The question will be what they do in the offseason to upgrade their pen. They could win the bidding war for Chapman and assuming he doesn't shoot his wife this offseason he alone leaves you with a pretty strong back end.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
You don't have to like it. But it's true. It's to the point now that 88-90 wins would be considered an off year for them with their current core.

I struggle think that Heyward won't be substantially better next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
The question will be what they do in the offseason to upgrade their pen. They could win the bidding war for Chapman and assuming he doesn't shoot his wife this offseason he alone leaves you with a pretty strong back end.

He's having a meh post season so maybe it's good if they overpay for him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
You don't have to like it. But it's true. It's to the point now that 88-90 wins would be considered an off year for them with their current core.

It's not really "true." You predict it will prove true over the next several years. The fact remains, though, that true dynasties are pretty rare in modern baseball.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
It's not really "true." You predict it will prove true over the next several years. The fact remains, though, that true dynasties are pretty rare in modern baseball.

Yeah, and I guess it's not really "true" the Warriors are going to make wet, soggy, dirty diapers out of the nba this year. Afterall, it hasn't happened yet. Please. Bryant, Baez, Russell, Contreras, Rizzo, and Schwarber is as good as it gets - ever. They ain't goin' nowhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Yeah, and I guess it's not really "true" the Warriors are going to make wet, soggy, dirty diapers out of the nba this year. Afterall, it hasn't happened yet. Please. Bryant, Baez, Russell, Contreras, Rizzo, and Schwarber is as good as it gets - ever. They ain't goin' nowhere.

Baseball is not the NBA, where true dynasties are commonplace. Look, the Cubs' core obviously looks great. But baseball is way too unpredictable to start writing teams in for multiple WS championships, or even trips, as many are doing with the Cubs.

Late 90's Indians were better and what did that get them?

You need at least a couple of guys that can throw the ball.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
Late 90's Indians were better and what did that get them?

You need at least a couple of guys that can throw the ball.

Yea well the late 90s Indians had to deal with the late 90s Yankees, and the Cubs staff is the best in baseball. The late 90s Indians rotations were pretty much mediocre at best, the Cubs staff is no joke

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
Yea well the late 90s Indians had to deal with the late 90s Yankees, and the Cubs staff is the best in baseball. The late 90s Indians rotations were pretty much mediocre at best, the Cubs staff is no joke

That Cubs staff is solid, but I don't think anyone coming into the season would have called them the best in baseball, and although they put up the best ERA the Mets, Nats, and Dodgers had better FIP and more fWAR from their rotations. If we're talking about more than 1 year, they have a strong staff but it's not the strongest part of their roster for whatever that is worth.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
It'll be interesting to see how long they have until Lester gets old. Hendricks will definitely regress a little bit next year as well. Their staff is solid going forward but it can definitely be better.

A lot of that pitching staff is because of the defense behind it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
It'll be interesting to see how long they have until Lester gets old. Hendricks will definitely regress a little bit next year as well. Their staff is solid going forward but it can definitely be better.

I actually really like Lester and think he'll be just fine in the coming years. I thought the Cubs made the smart choice paying him over Scherzer because he seems more durable over time, I'm not a fan of paying big money to fireballers as that never seems to work out well. Hendricks may regress but he seems like he could be a solid 2 or high 3 SP. 2018 will be interesting because that's when Arrieta can go elsewhere (he will) and i'm going to assume that Lackey is done then so they'll need a staff. That being said they have the assets and cash to do that so they'll probably be just fine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)

What did Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine guarantee the Braves?

Another HOFer in Chipper Jones.

Can you just stop with the over the top and factually incorrect posts already? Their lineup isn't near as good as the 90s Indians let alone Yankees' Murderers Row and mid 1930s Tigers. Heck even the Red Sox had a better offense than the Cubs this year and likely moving forward as well with fresh faces like Benintendi, Moncada, and Devers soon to graduate. One of the best things they have going for them is that they play in the inferior league. Almost like putting the Warriors in the East while moving the Cavs to the West.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
Arrieta starting Game 2 against ?

Hendricks for 3 at home, Lackey for Game 4. Indians' rotation situation still a big mystery.

Isn't it pretty much a lock that Indians go with a 3-man of Kluber, Tomlin, Bauer? I realize Salazar will be on the roster but I see him being more of a long man if/when they need to pull either Bauer or Tomlin before the 5th inning.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)
Isn't it pretty much a lock that Indians go with a 3-man of Kluber, Tomlin, Bauer? I realize Salazar will be on the roster but I see him being more of a long man if/when they need to pull either Bauer or Tomlin before the 5th inning.

Merritt and Salazar are definitely the wild cards. Along with Schwarber.