White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
A contender could be very interested in Nate Jones though. He is not a proven closer, but he has the stuff to close out games

Often it is the mentality as much as the stuff. But Jones would be a potential insurance package for a team with a questionable closer and he is already an excellent 7/8 inning guy. Also comes pretty reasonable for a set-up guy.

I'd let him rebuild value after seeing what teams got at the deadline last season/paid this offseason.

Robertson isn't remotely on Miller, Chapman or Jansen's level but he should be able to net at least (1) top 50 caliber prospect. I don't foresee a situation (unless he has 30 shutout innings at the deadline) where he gets much better than that. Never know though. If you're getting significantly less value right now, then I'd hold him.

Same can be said for Jones. He needs to repeat last season or improve before he is even on that level. I'd hang onto him unless someone is already offering that perceived internal value they have.

Everyone else can go.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
I'd let him rebuild value after seeing what teams got at the deadline last season/paid this offseason.

Robertson isn't remotely on Miller, Chapman or Jansen's level but he should be able to net at least (1) top 50 caliber prospect. I don't foresee a situation (unless he has 30 shutout innings at the deadline) where he gets much better than that. Never know though. If you're getting significantly less value right now, then I'd hold him.

Same can be said for Jones. He needs to repeat last season or improve before he is even on that level. I'd hang onto him unless someone is already offering that perceived internal value they have.

Everyone else can go.

I sure hope, but why would a team give up a top 50 guy for Robertson?

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)

Basically a supply and demand thing. For a contending team with no closer option, desperate times calls for desperate measures. Robertson might not be the best closer out there but right now he might be the best "available" closing option out there. Contending teams might be stacked all over the field and have the luxury of dealing a top 50 prospect for a piece that would help them win now. 37/44 or whatever his conversion rate is brings more value to a team in the next 2 years than a top 50 guy who would not crack the roster during a "win now" window. Plus the fact that he has some post season experience--looks GREAT next to anyone else out there.

If Robertson can show that he's still his old self, he could easily net a top-50 prospect at the deadline with 1.5 years of control at a reasonable enough contract.

He wasn't even that bad last year, he just needs to get the walks down.

On the flip side, if we can find a taker for Robertson now, we can try to build Jones' value as a closer.

QUOTE (SoxBrah @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Closer market is hot right now. Get it done and get some position players. Miami makes a lot of sense. :hawk:

We could deal Robertson now and let Jones close

If Jones does well he will be a hot name come the deadline

It all depends on the return

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
If Robertson can show that he's still his old self, he could easily net a top-50 prospect at the deadline with 1.5 years of control at a reasonable enough contract.

He wasn't even that bad last year, he just needs to get the walks down.

On the flip side, if we can find a taker for Robertson now, we can try to build Jones' value as a closer.

Are there likely to be any other big name closers on the market at the deadline this year? Assuming normal things like "Cleveland doesn't fall apart".

Herrera, K-Rod come to mind just from our division as possible if their teams break down a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Are there likely to be any other big name closers on the market at the deadline this year? Assuming normal things like "Cleveland doesn't fall apart".

Herrera, K-Rod come to mind just from our division as possible if their teams break down a bit.

Good rundown in the Trade section:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/find...ext-closer.html

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)

Ok, so basically there's a number of guys like Herrera and KRod who could be available if their teams get off to a poor start. That could leave the market having Robertson + a couple other available guys, since some team is going to struggle. Not a loaded market but possibly no longer a seller's market either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Yeah. Robertson wasn't there last year either. I don't think it is a sign he is already traded. But it is pretty apparent he is going to go probably pretty soon.

Oh I wasn't saying it as "he's traded" but more as an indicator it will be done soon.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)

My bad. I should've been more clear. If he reverts to old form during the early season, that David Robertson of old, should be able to net a top 50 guy. I don't think he'll net a top 30 guy like Chapman and Miller received, not do I think he warrants as large of a package.

But if he throws well he could net us (1) good prospect. I don't think that is a stretch given the climate for closers.

To me his value is low because of the performance and contract. His contract is now not the same burden it was, based off what these guys are getting paid. So it's purely a performance issue. If he comes out and throws well, I don't think it's unreasonable to get (1) player in that range. Especially from a deeper system.

QUOTE (y2chae @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
Given what the market is right now for reliable closers, I think Robertson could get a top 50 prospect return, especially if the Sox eat some of that contract.

Robertson is a more valuable trade chip than he was a week ago. He is a decent closer on a "reasonable" contract, especially if the Sox eat a little bit of it

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
The teams that would be interested in Robertson (e.g., Washington) aren't going to really care about the $$$ on his deal to give up a bigger return if the Sox eat some of it.

The free agency cost of closers has skyrocketed, Robertson's deal does not seem as huge anymore

2 years/ $24 million is not awful for a decent closer