White Sox focused on Rebuild

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
That's the thing, Tony. There's no way for me to trust the Sox talent evaluators to make the right decisions in regards to a return on a potential Sale trade. My absolute worst nightmare is for the Sox to trade the best pitcher in franchise history, a future hall of famer, for a bunch of guys that never pan out.

My fear is that we pull the trigger on a big Sale trade, but do it for a half-prospect, half-MLB player type of bunch, further establishing our halfass buying pattern. You can't contend with Quintana/Rodon/Shields/Gonzalez/trade guy, but I fear our FO believes otherwise.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Which is why I stressed "if the package is solid".

We all know the history with Sox talent evaluation, but we also know where they have placed in the standings the last 5+ years. Something needs to change.

I see where you're coming from. Nothing is guaranteed. Sale's arm could fall off tomorrow for all we know. All I'm saying is that they need to get a "can't miss" player as a part of the return (like a Benintendi or Bregman type), and I don't see anyone the Dodgers could offer that would fit that criteria.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
I see where you're coming from. Nothing is guaranteed. Sale's arm could fall off tomorrow for all we know. All I'm saying is that they need to get a "can't miss" player as a part of the return (like a Benintendi or Bregman type), and I don't see anyone the Dodgers could offer that would fit that criteria.

I'd argue that Urias fits into that Benintendi/Bregman mold

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)

So the only difference between those 2 and position players in the Dodgers minors is that they've been good in their small MLB sample sizes? That doesn't really make them "can't miss" or "sure things."

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Username @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Bellinger looks like a stud, and they have 2 more top 100 position players plus some intriguing guys like Barnes or even Lux. In combination with De Leon or Urias I think there's plenty there to make it a great deal.

This -- Bellinger is a legit stick from what I understand. Verdugo look like a solid regular at least. There's plenty there.

I think this board is severely underrating Urias for some reason (easy top 3 prospect in all of baseball, arguably #1), and Bellinger has had some serious helium as of late (probably top 25).

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
This -- Bellinger is a legit stick from what I understand. Verdugo look like a solid regular at least. There's plenty there.

I think this board is severely underrating Urias for some reason (easy top 3 prospect in all of baseball, arguably #1), and Bellinger has had some serious helium as of late (probably top 25).

Urias has a Chris Sale type ceiling. There aren't many who can say that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)

I just don't get why they would want to give up Urias then, unless they think he is several years away from being great.

I could see the Sox leaking info about the Dodgers to try and get Boston to up their offer.

As for Sale on the Dodgers, wouldn't feel bad one bit he would be at the same spring training facility. Could get a close up view of him cutting jersey's into chain people and see yearly diatribes from his pulpit about one thing or another. Would be more entertaining to see that kind of fun stuff if he's not on the team anymore.

Yo gusto Urias, De Leon, Bellinger, Verdugo, Barnes. I could see LA giving more of a fair price than Boston.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
I could see the Sox leaking info about the Dodgers to try and get Boston to up their offer.

As for Sale on the Dodgers, wouldn't feel bad one bit he would be at the same spring training facility. Could get a close up view of him cutting jersey's into chain people and see yearly diatribes from his pulpit about one thing or another. Would be more entertaining to see that kind of fun stuff if he's not on the team anymore.

Yo gusto Urias, De Leon, Bellinger, Verdugo, Barnes. I could see LA giving more of a fair price than Boston.

I think everyone is smokin something. No way Sox get Pederson, De Leon, Bellinger AND Urias for Sale and Frazier. Sale is a great baseball player, but he's not worth your entire farm system and a major league CF. I could see De Leon, Bellinger, Verdugo and some younger guys.

QUOTE (striker @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
I think everyone is smokin something. No way Sox get Pederson, De Leon, Bellinger AND Urias for Sale and Frazier. Sale is a great baseball player, but he's not worth your entire farm system and a major league CF. I could see De Leon, Bellinger, Verdugo and some younger guys.

Has there been a pitcher in the history of the game that has the trade value Sale has?

Sox don't NEED to trade Sale. They have him for 3 years in his prime with a ridiculously cheap contract over that time. Any trade for Sale has to be an absolute blockbuster type trade or else it just doesn't make any sense to trade him.