Jason Castro signs with Twins at 3 years 24.5 million

southsider2k5

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 2h2 hours ago Chris Cotillo Retweeted Chris Cotillo

5 teams are in the mix for Jason Castro, who has multiple offers on the table, source tells SB Nation.

Atlanta, Minnesota believed to be two teams in, per reports. Orioles, Rays, ChiSox, Angels, Nats among speculative fits with need.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Have the team sign Castro and then sign Cespedes and it will be a Merry Christmas for White Sox fans.

Cespedes didn't want to come here last year though. So I don't know why anything would change. Obviously he would be a great signing though.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I feel like the sox could sign castro and still be rebuilding. I don't think his price will be that high and it would be nice to have a good veteran catcher that isn't terrible defensively for rodon/other young'ns.

I still struggle a ton to believe "his price won't be that high". There are too many teams in need of catchers on the FA market and only 2 catchers worthy of being starters on a good team on the market. Could be surprised, but him taking a low value/couple year contract would defy the state of this market.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
I still struggle a ton to believe "his price won't be that high". There are too many teams in need of catchers on the FA market and only 2 catchers worthy of being starters on a good team on the market. Could be surprised, but him taking a low value/couple year contract would defy the state of this market.

Depends what we consider "that high" to be. I don't think he is a jimmy rollins signing, But if there has been a position recently where soxtalk has overestimated the signings for, it's the offensively challenged catcher. But if the 8-9mm/yr pricetag that has been projected is real I could see us making that investment regardless of future plans.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Depends what we consider "that high" to be. I don't think he is a jimmy rollins signing, But if there has been a position recently where soxtalk has overestimated the signings for, it's the offensively challenged catcher. But if the 8-9mm/yr pricetag that has been projected is real I could see us making that investment regardless of future plans.

If I had to guess I'd put him in the range of 3/$36 or 4/$50. I will be surprised if he is substantially below that. Apparently Olney tweeted yesterday he will get "at least a 3 year deal".

I would prefer not to sign a guy who we will hate to watch as long as his is on our team. I am kind of done with those type of experiments. We all know we will rip him and hate his play because he will be pretty damn useless offensively which is just more of what we have seen since AJ left.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
If I had to guess I'd put him in the range of 3/$36 or 4/$50. I will be surprised if he is substantially below that. Apparently Olney tweeted yesterday he will get "at least a 3 year deal".

I think for sure he is getting a multi-year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I would prefer not to sign a guy who we will hate to watch as long as his is on our team. I am kind of done with those type of experiments. We all know we will rip him and hate his play because he will be pretty damn useless offensively which is just more of what we have seen since AJ left.

I'd rather do this and see if Narvaez can develop alongside him than getting a bad offensive and bad defensive catcher that gets Rodon a higher amount of base runners and walks. Not sure who else you are planning to see, and who cares if we aren't competing anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Castro signs with Twins at 3years 24.5 million.

Chalking this up as a victory for ole bmags. Probably wasted it on misreading the trea turner article yesterday though...crap.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2016/11/22/1372...-5-million-deal

He will most likely turn into a Sox killer now!