Avi Garcia tendered a $3 million contract

Dunt

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
We're officially rebuilding :lol:

Pretty much. I want to be pissed about this, but it doesn't really matter for a team that's going 66-96 in 2017. Maybe he shocks the world and turns into a player...probably not.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Pretty much. I want to be pissed about this, but it doesn't really matter for a team that's going 66-96 in 2017. Maybe he shocks the world and turns into a player...probably not.

Yup yup - bring on the suck

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Don't forget, unless something changed with this brand new CBA, the team can still cut Garcia before spring training by paying him something like 15 or 20% of the value of the deal.

Consider this his final chance, it does not matter since the Sox are not going anywhere in 2017. Might as well give him a final shot

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
Holy f*** this franchise is terrible.

I'd rather watch Jason Coats suck than Garcia strikeout and suck at this point

Or Charlie Tilson, or Jacob May, or anyone really

Avi sucks

Honestly, if we are going to be rebuilding, I see no reason why we would just non-tender Avi. $3M is nothing and while I don't peg him to break out, we currently have no better options to give at bats too and he does have talent (so while I think he has flaws that will impact his ability to get there, $3M is easily worth paying to have him on the roster as of this point in time).

I more had problems putting him in a starting spot on a team that was intending to contend. And for those of you jumping off a ledge, give me a break. This move has zero negative barring on the long term impacts of the team (from a downside) and from an upside, the tools and talent are there (albeit the probability of him breaking through are limited, but we've seen it before...see Bautista or Encarnacion. By the way, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is either of those players and Encarnacion clearly had a better start to his career then Avi, but things happen.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
Whats the point of even giving him a shot? Even on a rebuilding team it doesnt make any sense. He's a bad player. Your wasting reps for someone else.

Unless we get a lot of guys that are major league ready, he isn't blocking anyone who will be an OF on our next playoff team.