Avi Garcia tendered a $3 million contract

Dunt

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Garcia doesn't bring one positive tool to the team. The only positive thing I keep on hearing from a small minority is he's 25 years old. Everyone who has eyes that work can tell you Garcia deficits make him a liability to a team. Disappointed our front office couldn't figure it out. Make an eye appointment!!!

Agree. He's brutal in the field and his baseball intelligence is very low. He'll get hot for a week or two offensively but then slump right back down. Granted its not a big deal this year with rebuilding but he needs to be let go when its over. Let a kid play who may have a future.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
Agree. He's brutal in the field and his baseball intelligence is very low. He'll get hot for a week or two offensively but then slump right back down. Granted its not a big deal this year with rebuilding but he needs to be let go when its over. Let a kid play who may have a future.

Mark

Like who? Unless you want to try Davidson out there...Avi is fine on this rebuilding team. Is what it is.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)

Mark

Avi is exactly the type of guy that should be playing right now.

He looks good at the plate. His usual self in the field, admittedly. I am not a huge Avi fan, but you keep running him out there.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Like who? Unless you want to try Davidson out there...Avi is fine on this rebuilding team. Is what it is.

As I wrote, "when it's (the season) is over." The Sox need to admit they were wrong on it and cut their losses.

He's going to be 26, he's had multiple chances, he's not going to get any better. I'm sure there is at least one kid in the minor league system that the organization doesn't know a lot about, who should get a shot.

With Garcia it's "what you see is what you get."

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
As I wrote, "when it's (the season) is over." The Sox need to admit they were wrong on it and cut their losses.

He's going to be 26, he's had multiple chances, he's not going to get any better. I'm sure there is at least one kid in the minor league system that the organization doesn't know a lot about, who should get a shot.

Mark

No offense, but this is just a bunch of lazy BS. Don't do the generic "there's got to be someone better" crap. Look at our AAA depth chart and tell me who should get a shot right now in RF. I'm no Avi fan, but right now he is the best man for the job. That may not be the case in a couple months, but until someone shows themselves worthy it should be Avi's job to lose.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)

Mark

So the Sox should call a player up that they don't know about to replace Avi? :o

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
Why would anyone be b****ing about Avi now?

Yes, he will probably go back to what he was, but he is showing everyone right now why they keep him around. His talent is immense.

He's pyrite.

If we're lucky, teams will fall for it long enough that we can throw him in as a sweetener.

Edited by Sox-35th

At this rate, he could be the AL MVP this year so there is no way Hahn can do anything but offer him a long-term contract next winter. RF is secure for the forseeable future. Now for CF.......................................

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
No offense, but this is just a bunch of lazy BS. Don't do the generic "there's got to be someone better" crap. Look at our AAA depth chart and tell me who should get a shot right now in RF. I'm no Avi fan, but right now he is the best man for the job. That may not be the case in a couple months, but until someone shows themselves worthy it should be Avi's job to lose.

This. Garcia is probably garbage, but our depth chart is even worse.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 12:21 AM)
On a $/WAR basis he's already been worth his salary this season.

Exactly. He's making pennies. 3 mill is chump change. Nice game today, Avi. At least he cares or appears to play hard. Tank for instance looked a big loafer out there.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 06:32 PM)
This. Garcia is probably garbage, but our depth chart is even worse.

meh...not sure he's garbage. He plays like garbage a ton of times...but the dude has some obvious tools. If he put it all together and stayed consistent he'd be a very solid and valuble RF...definitely has All-Star talent...just hasn't seemed to put it all together yet. Sox just keep hanging on to him for those reasons. Would love to see him put it all together....not holding my breath tho.

It's frustrating at times because from all accounts, Avi is one of the best on our team from a teammate standpoint and work ethic. Hard to believe anythings truly clicked, but maybe a full season without injury and not worrying about his job will do it for him. I hope so, because if he ever did (finally) figure something out, that solves some things.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
So the Sox should call a player up that they don't know about to replace Avi? :o

In the sense that since this is a tank / rebuilding year...yes. Let them bring a kid up to see how he'll do. You already know what Garcia's going to give you.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
In the sense that since this is a tank / rebuilding year...yes. Let them bring a kid up to see how he'll do. You already know what Garcia's going to give you.

Mark

What kid? There is literally no one who is even close to deserving a shot at RF right now.

Mark

I don't think that's necessarily true at all. Avi is still relatively young...and honestly his skill set is worth keeping him around for another year or two. He's got ridiculous skill...and some players don't really put it all together for a while. I know this might sound a little cheezy and all...but didn't they announce he was having a little boy the other day?...that he's an expectant father? You'd be surprised how that effects people IMO. I'm one of Avi's bigger critics overall...but I think it's because he has ridiculous talent and hasn't put it all together yet. I'd give him every opportunity this year....what do you have to lose? Last year he lost out because of Eaton's ridiculousness in RF...this year he really doesn't have to concern himself with losing his job...just getting better. That's just my 2¢...

As one of Avi's biggest supporters I'm surprised I never posted in this thread but Ro Da Don basically said everything I would've said . It's hard for me to really understand how strongly negative the feelings are about him especially during a rebuild. Even his apologists are always somewhat apologetic about him because at time's he looks so bad. Other times he looks amazing like the first 4 games this year. One thing he always does is bust his ass down the first base line. I can't hate a guy who busts his hump like that. He deserves a little more respect for that alone, especially when guys loaf it pisses fans off just about more than anything .

I could come up with reasons for his 2 errors so far but suffice it to say we've seen a lot of bad outfield defense so far due to weather conditions and not just on the Sox.

Even I look at Avi with a jaundiced eye. I noticed that his 1st 3 or 4 hits were all ground balls .I was like what happened to him elevating balls ? Tools and strength do not always a player make but they help immensely when the on switch finally gets flipped.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 11:02 PM)
As one of Avi's biggest supporters I'm surprised I never posted in this thread but Ro Da Don basically said everything I would've said . It's hard for me to really understand how strongly negative the feelings are about him especially during a rebuild. Even his apologists are always somewhat apologetic about him because at time's he looks so bad. Other times he looks amazing like the first 4 games this year. One thing he always does is bust his ass down the first base line. I can't hate a guy who busts his hump like that. He deserves a little more respect for that alone, especially when guys loaf it pisses fans off just about more than anything .

I could come up with reasons for his 2 errors so far but suffice it to say we've seen a lot of bad outfield defense so far due to weather conditions and not just on the Sox.

Even I look at Avi with a jaundiced eye. I noticed that his 1st 3 or 4 hits were all ground balls .I was like what happened to him elevating balls ? Tools and strength do not always a player make but they help immensely when the on switch finally gets flipped.

Yea, that is true. Avi just is a frustrating player overall, but I respect his hustle and dedication.

Avi is about 6 months older than Jacob May and Adam Engel, about a year and a half older than Charlie Tilson.

I don't think anyone, even the White Sox , really believe Avi will somehow turn it around, but he shows you from time to time it is there. Whether that means he beats the odds and overcomes his previous performance no one knows. Maybe he is Jose Bautista, a guy who was below replacement level until he was 29 and with his 5th team. Now is the perfect time to find out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
Avi is about 6 months older than Jacob May and Adam Engel, about a year and a half older than Charlie Tilson.

I don't think anyone, even the White Sox , really believe Avi will somehow turn it around, but he shows you from time to time it is there. Whether that means he beats the odds and overcomes his previous performance no one knows. Maybe he is Jose Bautista, a guy who was below replacement level until he was 29 and with his 5th team. Now is the perfect time to find out.

Ya, it's not like we have a legit prospect ready to take his spot. As you said, some guys take longer to develop for whatever reason, no reason not to let him get all the at-bats this season and see what happens.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
Ya, it's not like we have a legit prospect ready to take his spot. As you said, some guys take longer to develop for whatever reason, no reason not to let him get all the at-bats this season and see what happens.

I'd be a whole lot more on the cut Avi bandwagon if we had something to replace him with.

Avi could be traded but that seems unlikely since he is only adding to his upside potential.

Jacob May could be the first one to be sent down, then Asche.

Moncada will be here in May and perhaps Tillerson will be here by June, but that seems to be an unknown at this point.

Mark

But who though? W.Garcia, L.Garcia, Liriano, Asche, Engel are the next best options so which of them should take Avi's place? None to be honest. Avi had a nice ST but part of the reason he's in RF now is because there aren't better options at the moment. There's no outfielders in Birmingham worth mentioning and obviously A ball outfielders are too far away for consideration.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Avi gone by the end of ST but due to his hard work, good ST and nobody good enough to take his spot, Avi is getting another shot.

Look at it this way. If Avi sucks then no harm no foul since we already know it. But, if he actually continues to hit, he would close one of the many gaping holes or become a nice trade candidate. I'm not holding my breath, just acknowledging it is possible for Avi to be one of those late bloomers.