Avi Garcia tendered a $3 million contract

Dunt

Liriano

Tilson

Coats

Engel

Delmonico

possibly May

I would rather give ANY of those other players innings in 2017 than Avi Garcia. I suspect most of them will hit as well, maybe even better in some cases. And other than possibly Delmonico, they'd all provide defensive upgrades (and Delmonico has hitting potential, and can play 1B & 3B). Oh and they'd cost 500k, not 3M.

My only hope is, this ends up like Viciedo where they ax him for 50k before Opening Day.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
Lmao, could you imagine if he had a sub .700 ops and was a detriment in the field? That would be hilarious...

He has a .638 OPS in the Majors...hilarious. Coats will be 27 in a couple months.

Engel had a .750 OPS in the Minors in 2016. I'd love to see what that would be in the Majors.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
Why does he have to "do something well" in the present to not be written off completely at his age?

I don't want him to be a fielder at all.... I'm advocating him to be DH on a loser team. But you want something he does well so bad...he led the Majors in OF assists in 2015. Obviously the fielding blows - but hey, you asked.

He isn't some talentless schmuck because he hasn't lived up to your guys' OPS standards against the greatest baseball players in the world by age 25.

Avi will never be a good hitter. It is his approach to at-bats and his baseball IQ that is not at a major league level. He's had well over a thousand at bats already. What do you expect to change at this point? He is a finished product. And even if he did have short term success, he hasn't shown he can adjust to pitchers besides swinging at the first pitch.

He won't be a DH for us when the team is good again so I have no idea what your point is in trotting him out there. He's not a prospect anymore.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
I don't care one way or another. He's better than the other AAAA bums the Sox have run out there. $3MM is pocket change to a real franchise. a rounding error. shows how bad our minors are that they can't come up with someone better.

I'd literally rather have anyone from our system. Anyone else.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
Avi will never be a good hitter. It is his approach to at-bats and his baseball IQ that is not at a major league level. He's had well over a thousand at bats already. What do you expect to change at this point? He is a finished product. And even if he did have short term success, he hasn't shown he can adjust to pitchers besides swinging at the first pitch.

He won't be a DH for us when the team is good again so I have no idea what your point is in trotting him out there. He's not a prospect anymore.

Alright, this is gonna be the final time I reply to this thread. I don't care how many ABs he's had in the Majors. Half of them should have been in the Minors to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, he has 413 AB (2016) while he's actually tried a swing that isn't complete horse s***. His old swing was not conducive to any type of hard contact or power. While still inconsistent, look at he video on youtube of him in 2016. Throw the numbers out the window and forget his name is Avisail Garcia. I guarantee you'll love what you see in the admittedly few highlights I'm referring to.

He's a finished product? Really? I'm simply saying to give up on a 25 year old who, BTW, heavily improved his exit velocities and launch angles in 2016, ya know, this past season, is not wise - just because you hate what you have seen so far. Keep an open mind dude.

My original point which has been taken way out of context by a few of you guys. Our team is disgusting as it currently stands. The addition of Avi as a DH strictly, is not going to hurt a supposed rebuilding and otherwise trash team, until you have legitimate replacements. You guys would rather see 27 year old Coats at DH, who in my opinion is a AAAA player? Just like your opinion is that Avi is a AAAA player. Delmonico is the only other decent DH option you guys have come up with - as the roster currently stands.

1 WAR = an 8 million dollar salary in the current MLB marketplace. Avisail Garcia just got paid 3 million dollars. He got paid what he's been worth thus far. This move doesn't break the bank and it isn't taking the DH spot away from some super talented prospect.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, maybe it'll prove you guys wrong, maybe it'll prove all of us wrong. Rymer Liriano has been the most talented guy mentioned in this thread, and I'd rather see him in LF than at DH.

Until we get better options, yes, I personally would rather see more of Avisail Garcia than the other equally illegitimate options we have at DH. If we get AJ Reed or someone of the like, cool, get rid of Avi with 0 complaints from me. This is the American League. We won't have a rotating DH spot until we have enough talent on the roster to rotate, which we're not even close to having enough. It's about where we currently are as an organization, not that I think Avi is going to for sure become a stud all of a sudden. If we were still "going for it" I would have my pitchfork out too. The likely and worst-case scenario is that he still sucks and costs the Sox 3 million. I'm not delusional - I'm simply not red hot angry like many posters here at the prospect of signing such a player for 3 million dollars, because they hate him or have "seen enough".

Enough with the crucifixion of someone for having an opinion that differs from yours.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
I don't care one way or another. He's better than the other AAAA bums the Sox have run out there. $3MM is pocket change to a real franchise. a rounding error. shows how bad our minors are that they can't come up with someone better.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 07:58 PM)
Alright, this is gonna be the final time I reply to this thread. I don't care how many ABs he's had in the Majors. Half of them should have been in the Minors to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, he has 413 AB (2016) while he's actually tried a swing that isn't complete horse s***. His old swing was not conducive to any type of hard contact or power. While still inconsistent, look at he video on youtube of him in 2016. Throw the numbers out the window and forget his name is Avisail Garcia. I guarantee you'll love what you see in the admittedly few highlights I'm referring to.

He's a finished product? Really? I'm simply saying to give up on a 25 year old who, BTW, heavily improved his exit velocities and launch angles in 2016, ya know, this past season, is not wise - just because you hate what you have seen so far. Keep an open mind dude.

My original point which has been taken way out of context by a few of you guys. Our team is disgusting as it currently stands. The addition of Avi as a DH strictly, is not going to hurt a supposed rebuilding and otherwise trash team, until you have legitimate replacements. You guys would rather see 27 year old Coats at DH, who in my opinion is a AAAA player? Just like your opinion is that Avi is a AAAA player. Delmonico is the only other decent DH option you guys have come up with - as the roster currently stands.

1 WAR = an 8 million dollar salary in the current MLB marketplace. Avisail Garcia just got paid 3 million dollars. He got paid what he's been worth thus far. This move doesn't break the bank and it isn't taking the DH spot away from some super talented prospect.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, maybe it'll prove you guys wrong, maybe it'll prove all of us wrong. Rymer Liriano has been the most talented guy mentioned in this thread, and I'd rather see him in LF than at DH.

Until we get better options, yes, I personally would rather see more of Avisail Garcia than the other equally illegitimate options we have at DH. If we get AJ Reed or someone of the like, cool, get rid of Avi with 0 complaints from me. This is the American League. We won't have a rotating DH spot until we have enough talent on the roster to rotate, which we're not even close to having enough. It's about where we currently are as an organization, not that I think Avi is going to for sure become a stud all of a sudden. If we were still "going for it" I would have my pitchfork out too. The likely and worst-case scenario is that he still sucks and costs the Sox 3 million. I'm not delusional - I'm simply not red hot angry like many posters here at the prospect of signing such a player for 3 million dollars, because they hate him or have "seen enough".

Enough with the crucifixion of someone for having an opinion that differs from yours.

Yeah, I mean he's not well-liked here because of all the physical tools he has. He's a cocktease just like Dayan.

But I smell what you're stepping in, and I don't see the big issue with giving him another shot this year, especially IF this is a rebuilding/development year.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:58 PM)

So, he's been worth -1.4 fWAR, so I think he owes the White Sox $13 million.

Anyway, if Avi wasn't a White Sox player, I'd have no problem with this. He's a guy who has some talent, the White Sox should be signing cheap, scrap heap trash from other teams to fill in gaps after they trade away the guys they need to trade away. So I'll make the sarcastic opening remark, but yeah I won't complain much.

Has anyone actually ever plotted up things like "Exit velocity" and "angle" versus actual performance? Because I've seen this cited a bunch the last 2 years and then it seems like you wind up with guys like Avi Garcia getting cited with that as a hopeful sign when they're actually trash.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:58 PM)

His OBP didn't change from 2015 to 2016 with his supposedly improved swing. That tells me it's his approach within at bats or a baseball IQ problem. That is not correctable at this point in his career. If he didn't develop any in his first 1000+ AB's he never will. He doesn't have enough power for a swing change to make a notable difference anyway. He is big but not strong.

Why is Avi Garcia deserving of chances he hasn't earned? Why should another player who hasn't been proven to suck yet be denied an opportunity?

Avi's major league performance says he is a AAAA player. He has gotten more than enough chances. Time for other players to get a look at the bigs, no matter what you may think of them before they get there.

Garcia doesn't bring one positive tool to the team. The only positive thing I keep on hearing from a small minority is he's 25 years old. Everyone who has eyes that work can tell you Garcia deficits make him a liability to a team. Disappointed our front office couldn't figure it out. Make an eye appointment!!!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
Yeah, I mean he's not well-liked here because of all the physical tools he has. He's a cocktease just like Dayan.

But I smell what you're stepping in, and I don't see the big issue with giving him another shot this year, especially IF this is a rebuilding/development year.

I didn't read that novel. My answer is that he's not good. No reason to play him.

This is kind of laughable. What did become good friends with Jerry? Another as long as you are a part of the White Sox buddy system you get a nice paycheck?

I was really hoping this offseason they would be turning over a new leaf after the absolute incompetency of 2016 for the franchise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
So has anyone been able to look at whether this is a guaranteed contract?

If I'm not mistaken, they can release him before Spring Training ends (or something) and only end up paying him a fraction of the deal. I think.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 12:57 AM)
If I'm not mistaken, they can release him before Spring Training ends (or something) and only end up paying him a fraction of the deal. I think.

Yes, the "Dayan Viciedo" manuever. Tendered a contract for $4.4M, released in February and the Sox only had to pay him $733K (about 16%).

So assuming the percentage owed would be the same if the Sox released Avi in early February like Viciedo was, the Sox would only owe Avi $480K.

So they essentially need to find a trade to bring back a prospect that they would value at $500K to come out ahead of the opportunity cost.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

• 4 months later...