Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)
I cannot believe this return. Giolito is the #3 prospect in the entire game. Lopez #13. Dunning was the Nat's first rounder just last year. All of that for Adam freaking Eaton. Thank God for advanced stats showing that the slappy, oft-injured outfielder was a +6 fWAR last year. Also, you know Dusty Baker loves his grind factor. The Sox will wake up tomorrow with the top system in all of baseball and three huge assets left in Quintana, Frazier, and Robertson to deal off. The future is much brighter today than it was 2 days ago.

You've had a weird take on some of the Sox current(and now ex) players the last few days. Adam Eaton isn't a slap hitter.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:37 PM)
Lopez has an outstanding curve and glimpses of a plus-change. He'll definitely be a starter, imo. He's 6' 185...not talking about a tiny guy here.

He's listed at 6ft if you look at him probably little shorter. Adam Eaton was listed 5ft 10 with Arizona. The curveball is no where near a plus pitch right now. For every 5 curveballs he might throw 1 plus. Lopez is very inconsistent with that pitch and lack of fastball command hurt his first go around in the majors.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
Just got out of work. Wow. SS2K5 sure s***ted up this thread huh? You absolutely take the best package of talent you can get when you are rebuilding. Worrying about not acquiring position prospects in the first freaking off-season of a multi-year rebuild is asinine.

Anyhow, this is an amazing return. Huge overpay for Eaton. I might be more excited for Lopez than Giolito at this point. Speaking of Giolito, if there's anyone that straighten him out, it's the White Sox. Also was a big fan of Dunning in college. High floor on him. Could be a middle of the rotation arm in not too long. I think Hahn extracted more value in this trade than in the Sale deal.

This post perfectly sums up my thoughts. I was mildly disappointed with the Sale trade, but this one is absolutely incredible.

As for this apparent lack of positions players, we still have multiple assets that can be moved between now and the coming deadline. Quintana will likely be moved shortly and could land multiple high-end position playing prospects himself. Jones is an incredibly valuable trade that could land two guys in the top 100. Frazier should land at last one top 100 guy. On top of that, we have wild cards in Abreu & Robertson. All it takes is for one team to value these guys higher than mosf and we might get a solid return for them. If not, hold them until the deadline and let them rebuild their value. We should also be able to get some lower end prospects for Jennings, Cabrera, & Gonzalez.

So after we trade the majority of guys I listed above, we'll be out of almost all our large payroll commitments. That means we can be major players for Cuban & Asian free agents who are exempt from signing pools. We'll also be terrible and secure high draft picks and bonus pools. That's not to mention we'll have some roster space available to take reclamation projects and hope to spin at the trade deadline for more talent. There are literally endless ways to add more position players between now and 2019, including what should be an incredible free agent class for bats.

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone could be upset right now. The front office is literally doing exactly what everyone asked for which is picking a direction and committing to it 100%. Right now, it should be all celebrations for White Sox fans.

By the way...for those asking what other team has done something like this? My best, most recent comparison, would probably be that these moves are very akin to Billy Beane. Obviously they did it for different reasons, but he had some good teams (and Sox aren't that) which he blew up and moved a lot of pieces. Not quite the same extent as he was more retooling vs. this, but similar in the sense that there were some Oakland teams that moved quite a few upper echelon pieces who still had a little bit of control.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
Lopez has started at every level, why convert him now?

Doesn't think he has the pitches, but he has the heat.

We'll find out

Dunning absolutely start. It is accurate that he relieved at Fla because they had an abundance of arms, not because he couldn't start.

I have criticized Hahn in past years, especially last season for an apparent lack of convinction with roster construction and failing to trade anyone midseason.......but this deal is phenomenal. Finally someone who overpays for one of our players! I love it and actually agree with Soxace this is a better deal than Sale.

For everyone concerned about an abundance of pitching prospects, you have to take the best players available in any trade; much like the draft. Worry about balancing out the offense later.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 04:27 AM)
I'd be surprised if Nate Jones has the value that we think he does. I think he's one of those guys that's way more valuable to us than other teams and will be our closer this year.

I'm surprised nobody on the board agrees with me that he's too wild. His style of pitching is way too funky. The way he separates his arm and holds the ball out is bizarre at best. Why can't Coop fix him? He has a fastball that moves.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:27 PM)
I'd be surprised if Nate Jones has the value that we think he does. I think he's one of those guys that's way more valuable to us than other teams and will be our closer this year.

I'd have to think he could fetch a package similar to what the Brewers got for Thornburg and that would be a really nice return for the Sox. If they can get something similar I would move him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm surprised nobody on the board agrees with me that he's too wild. His style of pitching is way too funky. The way he separates his arm and holds the ball out is bizarre at best. Why can't Coop fix him? He has a fastball that moves.

What does Coop need to fix?

Dude had a 1.91 BB/9. That was the 20th best BB/9 out of 135 qualified relievers. Better BB/9 than any other Sox reliever, and better than top closers like Familia, Britton, Chapman, Colome, Cody Allen, Kimbrel, pretty much all of them except Jansen and Melancon.

Nate Jones hasn't had a control problem since 2012.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)

Just read a piece Jeff Passan wrote on the rebuild and he thinks Jones has tremendous value and said he is signed to a "goofy-cheap contract", which averages about $3M a year for 5 years. Chapman just signed for $17M a year, larger than Jones' entire 5 year deal.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)

He's not gonna get you elite prospects like Moncado or Giolito, most likely, but the dude is signed at 5 years for 15 mil. That's insane value after seeing Chapman's 80-something over 5 years. Plus his arsenal is nasty and had a 175 ERA+/2.29 ERA/0.89 WHIP/10.2K per 9/1.9 BB per 9 in 2016. You're gonna get some very nice pieces for him after Jansen signs or at midseason. Relievers are valued more heavily now than ever.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
He's not gonna get you elite prospects like Moncado or Giolito, most likely, but the dude is signed at 5 years for 15 mil. That's insane value after seeing Chapman's 80-something over 5 years. Plus his arsenal is nasty and had a 175 ERA+/2.29 ERA/0.89 WHIP/10.2K per 9/1.9 BB per 9 in 2016. You're gonna get some very nice pieces for him after Jansen signs or at midseason. Relievers are valued more heavily now than ever.

I think his value now vs. if he has a successful season as our closer is way different.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)

No one agrees with you because most of us pay attention to facts.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:43 PM)
I'd have to think he could fetch a package similar to what the Brewers got for Thornburg and that would be a really nice return for the Sox. If they can get something similar I would move him.

A reliever isn't critical in the rebuild and he has injury risk, I see no reason not to move him (unless we think we'll use him as a closer and further build his value in-season after moving Robertson).

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
I think his value now vs. if he has a successful season as our closer is way different.

100% agreed here. If you can get a "closer" return for Nate now, you do it and don't look back. If he needs to be our 2016 closer and get dealt at the deadline, that's fine too. As much as I want to see the farm filled up right meow, I realize it's going to take some time to move ALL of our pieces that we want to move.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:53 PM)
Does Jones have any experience closing games? If not, his trade value will not be super-high right now.

I'd rather hold on to Jones and see how he does as a closer once Robertson is dealt. Then trade him before age begins to erode his effectiveness.

No him not being a closer doesn't impact his value.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:45 PM)
Just read a piece Jeff Passan wrote on the rebuild and he thinks Jones has tremendous value and said he is signed to a "goofy-cheap contract", which averages about $3M a year for 5 years. Chapman just signed for $17M a year, larger than Jones' entire 5 year deal.

How the White Sox Won the Winter Meetings

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
The blowback by everyone actually concerns me in regards to our trade of Q.

Me too, especially because it seems driven by the lack of "sex appeal' from Eaton even though he is a superior player to McCutchen.