Uh-oh...Harrelson wants to hold on until 2020

caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 06:58 AM)
Taste in announcers clearly varies from person to person, but I'm with you: I'll take Hawk and his unique style, even now in the twilight of his career, over the cookie cutter stylings of the so-called "professional" announcers.

I agree with this. I just spent an entire season (well I guess half of it was Benetti's, the other half Hawks) and I just realized that there is no one distinct moment I can remember from him. I mean I can remember general ideas like his goofy sense of humor or his jokes that Stone is cheap, but there was no one signature moment that I can remember at this time. Sure Hawk goes off of the rails, but you can always count on him for a signature call at a big moment.

That is what is missing with Benetti. He's a funny and quirky guy, and he knows his stuff, but I don't get any of that extra from him. He could literally do anything, and be the background to everything, but never really stand out.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
You make such a salient point here. No doubt I'd rather waste calories trying to figure out "Sox Math" and get all giggly about what gifts are to be had on the table behind Benetti and Stone than listen to a guy who's actually played the game and can and still does lend insights that just about every professional cookie-cutter announcer cannot do.

And some excitement. If there is one guy in the White Sox organization that is excited to show up at his job every single day, it is Harrelson. I have never gotten that vibe from Stone, and I don't get it from Benetti. Happy to be there? Sure? Hawk is as giddy as a school girl on show and tell day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
I agree with this. I just spent an entire season (well I guess half of it was Benetti's, the other half Hawks) and I just realized that there is no one distinct moment I can remember from him. I mean I can remember general ideas like his goofy sense of humor or his jokes that Stone is cheap, but there was no one signature moment that I can remember at this time. Sure Hawk goes off of the rails, but you can always count on him for a signature call at a big moment.

That is what is missing with Benetti. He's a funny and quirky guy, and he knows his stuff, but I don't get any of that extra from him. He could literally do anything, and be the background to everything, but never really stand out.

Well, to be fair, what big moment did he have to work with?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
There are no opinions I can relate to less than people's bizarre fixations on announcing. Vin Scully reincarnate could appear today as a new sox announcer and half the people would say he sucks. It's the hitting coach of baseball team media jobs.

As many people as hate hearing about the history of this game during a broadcast, they would definitely hate Scully.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Apparently we went an entire season without a walk off win? Without a controversial call? The fact that nothing stands out is kind of the point.

The only thing that stands out recently about Hawk is his embarrassing moments. Like running downstairs to check on Frazier in the middle of an inning, calling out conspiracies against the sox, TWTW.

He is past the time to put him out to pasture, unfortunately it seems he will get his wish of dying in the booth (which will be absolutely horrifying if/when it happens). Now I won't remember him for when he was awesome but rather as a forgetful, domineering, overly opinionated and behind the times announcer that never could let anyone else stand in his light.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
The only thing that stands out recently about Hawk is his embarrassing moments. Like running downstairs to check on Frazier in the middle of an inning, calling out conspiracies against the sox, TWTW.

He is past the time to put him out to pasture, unfortunately it seems he will get his wish of dying in the booth (which will be absolutely horrifying if/when it happens). Now I won't remember him for when he was awesome but rather as a forgetful, domineering, overly opinionated and behind the times announcer that never could let anyone else stand in his light.

Ok, then! You have made your point in no uncertain terms! We will put you down in the "Don't like" column and move on.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Ok, then! You have made your point in no uncertain terms! We will put you down in the "Don't like" column and move on.

More "used to like"

And to be clear my opinion of Hawk has nothing to do with Bennetti. I felt like this before I even knew who Bennetti was(I didn't even know who he was Until he got the job lol)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)

There is no doubt his best days are behind him. I have said for a couple of years now you can tell his eyes have gotten bad. There are definitely times up there he is guessing at what is going on.

But I will say I am going to miss that level of excitement in a baseball broadcast. I am going to also miss that level of fandom. I love it in Pat and Eddie on Hawks games as well. They know they are damned lucky to be getting paid a ton of money to do one of the greatest jobs on the planet, and they live the broadcast like it. Hawk is the same way, but an even bigger fan.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)
Relax Luke Cage. Do you honestly enjoy Benetti?

It reminds me of Ventura replacing Ozzie. He won't embarrass the team or organization, but he's about as interesting as listening to paint dry.

Benetti and Stone are awful together. Each guy is trying to hard to be to cute and more clever than the other and they both come off as sarcastic smart asses to me. Il take Hawk and day of the week.

I love Hawk because I grew up on Hawk, and he is an all time great. But as a broadcaster he is way past his prime. He is only hurting his great legacy by continuing on IMO.

Benetti is a fine broadcaster. He isn't Hawk. But that shouldn't be held against him. Filling Hawk's broadcasting shoes is a tall task no doubt. Could Benetti use some old school baseball broadcasting flavor? Sure. But I am willing to let him continue to grow into the job before completely writing him off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
And some excitement. If there is one guy in the White Sox organization that is excited to show up at his job every single day, it is Harrelson. I have never gotten that vibe from Stone, and I don't get it from Benetti. Happy to be there? Sure? Hawk is as giddy as a school girl on show and tell day.

I disagree. This is Benetti's dream job having grown up a White Sox fan. I don't need any faux excitement from Hawk. It's all completely phony.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
I disagree. This is Benetti's dream job having grown up a White Sox fan. I don't need any faux excitement from Hawk. It's all completely phony.

He sure doesn't act like it when a game is in a big moment. Literally anyone could step in and do that.

I unironically love TWTW. The Frazier moment was great too, crazy old coot actually abandoned the booth to go check on his boy gotta love it.

Hawk is good for only one part of the broadcast now - emotional cues. That's it. His insight is restricted to Yaz, Catfish Hunter and Buehrle. He gets angry in the booth at every slight - big, small or imagined. He relies on catch phrases in lieu of analysis (that's a Kansas City special!) and tries to suppress Stone constantly.

When the Sox are good, it's great to have Hawk for emotion. It's the one thing Benetti lacks.

I'm much more inclined to believe that Jason, as he gets more comfortable, will begin to provide emotion than I am that Hawk will give a single piece of insight regarding the future team that we haven't heard before.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Hawk is good for only one part of the broadcast now - emotional cues. That's it. His insight is restricted to Yaz, Catfish Hunter and Buehrle. He gets angry in the booth at every slight - big, small or imagined. He relies on catch phrases in lieu of analysis (that's a Kansas City special!) and tries to suppress Stone constantly.

When the Sox are good, it's great to have Hawk for emotion. It's the one thing Benetti lacks.

I'm much more inclined to believe that Jason, as he gets more comfortable, will begin to provide emotion than I am that Hawk will give a single piece of insight regarding the future team that we haven't heard before.

I never once heard Hawk mention Yaz or Catfish during a 2016 telecast.

Hawk offers a lot more insight than his detractors want to admit. He was talking about Frazier pulling off the ball. Many would think if you are pulling off the ball, you might want to stand closer to the plate. Hawk told everyone he should back off about 6 inches, all about the thought dictating the mechanics.

Yes, he has slipped a bit, father time catches up to everyone. And he goes overboard on umpires, but the guy has been terrific. He was advanced before anyone had ever heard of sabermetrics. He has been yapping about working a count since he began. No one else did. He knew the importance of having 2 hitting coaches 30 years ago. Now most teams have 2. I hear about his huge ego. I doubt anyone who thinks his ego is so gigantic has ever met him. Truly one of the nicer most pleasant guys to fans that there is. He also says all the time the players today are a lot better than they were in his era.

He really isn't as stuck in his ways and he and others want you to believe. He doesn't imbrance sabermetrics consciously, but everything sabermetrics embraces, he has embraced forever. He goes a little further believing there is also a human element to the game, which most people would agree.

Hawk and Stone were better together in 2016. I just find it funny that without really knowing the issues between the 2, it's always assumed it's always Hawk's fault. Yeah, Stone works well with Jason, but Hawk works well with Stone's substitutes, and many people have mentioned meeting Steve as not being the most enjoyable experience. I read here a few years ago, he wouldn't sign baseballs on the sweet spot because he thought people would sell them, like there is a huge market for a Steve Stone signed baseball.

Hawk has been great. He is slipping, but still gets the job done. If he wants to work 4 more years, the Sox owe it to him as long as he's able, to let that happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
I never once heard Hawk mention Yaz or Catfish during a 2016 telecast.

Hawk offers a lot more insight than his detractors want to admit. He was talking about Frazier pulling off the ball. Many would think if you are pulling off the ball, you might want to stand closer to the plate. Hawk told everyone he should back off about 6 inches, all about the thought dictating the mechanics.

Yes, he has slipped a bit, father time catches up to everyone. And he goes overboard on umpires, but the guy has been terrific. He was advanced before anyone had ever heard of sabermetrics. He has been yapping about working a count since he began. No one else did. He knew the importance of having 2 hitting coaches 30 years ago. Now most teams have 2. I hear about his huge ego. I doubt anyone who thinks his ego is so gigantic has ever met him. Truly one of the nicer most pleasant guys to fans that there is. He also says all the time the players today are a lot better than they were in his era.

He really isn't as stuck in his ways and he and others want you to believe. He doesn't imbrance sabermetrics consciously, but everything sabermetrics embraces, he has embraced forever. He goes a little further believing there is also a human element to the game, which most people would agree.

Hawk and Stone were better together in 2016. I just find it funny that without really knowing the issues between the 2, it's always assumed it's always Hawk's fault. Yeah, Stone works well with Jason, but Hawk works well with Stone's substitutes, and many people have mentioned meeting Steve as not being the most enjoyable experience. I read here a few years ago, he wouldn't sign baseballs on the sweet spot because he thought people would sell them, like there is a huge market for a Steve Stone signed baseball.

Hawk has been great. He is slipping, but still gets the job done. If he wants to work 4 more years, the Sox owe it to him as long as he's able, to let that happen.

Well said. Bravo!

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
Then you must not have the volume on for road games.

Dick Allen is right. This has become the lazy man's critique of the Hawk. I watch most games, and if there was a mention of either of those icons by Hawk last year, they were so few and far between that it's not worthy of calling it out. Same goes for his complaining about umpires. Nowhere near as much of that going on in the past season or two as in the past, like during the Joe West/Billy Wegner glory days.

Edited by Thad Bosley

Hawk has been objectively bad at his job (like can't see what's going on, doesn't actually do any analysis) for years. 1995 Hawk isn't walking through that door and he's only going to get worse as his faculties (mental and physical) abandon him.

Benetti is fine. It doesn't surprise me DA loves Hawk, of course he does...

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
Hawk has been objectively bad at his job (like can't see what's going on, doesn't actually do any analysis) for years. 1995 Hawk isn't walking through that door and he's only going to get worse as his faculties (mental and physical) abandon him.

Benetti is fine. It doesn't surprise me DA loves Hawk, of course he does...

LMAO.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
:lolhitting

You ever hear Vin Scully, Harry Caray, Jack Buck, Joe Buck, or Jason Benetti (who I actually like) tell you the difference between hitting ahead and behind in the count?

I'll answer it because I have probably heard them more than you. No. I will say Stone does mention a lot more of Hawk's thoughts when he is doing a telecast with Jason.

Edited by Dick Allen