Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
New reports on the White Sox international signings are up at Baseball America: https://t.co/j98MbHQwa5

https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/847133476637822976

Like all teams, #WhiteSox will attend Luis Robert's Thurs workout. Think they intend to be in mix no matter if he's in 6/15 class or 7/2. https://t.co/TULBZZl3ek

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/847266091982127105

The hype is real...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
I think there's a decent chance the Sox sign this guy. KW loves this type of move and now that they are officially rebuilding he should be able to sell it to JR. I'd be for it. Who cares about next year, grab this guy and go as far over the limit as you have to.

I wonder if KW is there lol

QUOTE (Soha @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Sure would make for a bright future if we could add this guy on top of Moncada.

That would be nice, he looks like he is going to out grow any notion of playing CF and wind up in LF.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
I think there's a decent chance the Sox sign this guy. KW loves this type of move and now that they are officially rebuilding he should be able to sell it to JR. I'd be for it. Who cares about next year, grab this guy and go as far over the limit as you have to.

Agreed, JR has no love lost for the new comish and has instructed his family to sell the sox when he passes. If that were to happen right before the new tv contract is up in addition to the sweet heart deal they have with the stadium low ml payroll and opperating costs and a bright looking future they could get a boon.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
I wonder if KW is there lol

For my two cents, I'd bet that he is either there or is going to make arrangements to see him in person if they are really as serious as it sounds. Kenny is back to his old job of being the teams final scout. If we sign Robert, Kenny Williams will have seen him in person. Period.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that Kenny was there himself.

Yeah. I can buy that. JR has won basically every cost-certainty policy that can exist in the MLB save a salary cap. Him strictly adhering to the rules here is no longer necessary. Plus I don't think he cares about losing a class of 16 year olds, he lost a decades worth already.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Yeah. I can buy that. JR has won basically every cost-certainty policy that can exist in the MLB save a salary cap. Him strictly adhering to the rules here is no longer necessary. Plus I don't think he cares about losing a class of 16 year olds, he lost a decades worth already.

Thanks Wilder. Obviously more to it then that, but sure didn't help.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
That is a nice swing. Not very long at all.

Probably because only phenoms have their BPs put up on twitter, but every one of those I think "THis player is amazing"

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Probably because only phenoms have their BPs put up on twitter, but every one of those I think "THis player is amazing"

So you are saying its not effective to scout a player on 40 seconds of BP in the DR?

I have to look back, I am not even sure he was wearing shoes.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
So you are saying its not effective to scout a player on 40 seconds of BP in the DR?

I have to look back, I am not even sure he was wearing shoes.

Well, again, I don't know that I have actually watched a bad player's BP snippets. So maybe the mere fact that one was generated and shared means that he is in fact worth signing. It could be the moneyballing metric the white sox need.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
Well, again, I don't know that I have actually watched a bad player's BP snippets. So maybe the mere fact that one was generated and shared means that he is in fact worth signing. It could be the moneyballing metric the white sox need.

Oh I know. I was just kidding because I totally fall down the same line of thinking when I see these. Two months from now I will dig into my Robert memory bank and remember that video as if I scouted the kid traveling down from field to field on a donkey.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

In a setting like that, I almost expect to a see a longer swing. They are getting thrown BP, so they don't have to worry about it slowing them down, and they are trying to show off their power... afterall, chicks dig the long ball.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Oh I know. I was just kidding because I totally fall down the same line of thinking when I see these. Two months from now I will dig into my Robert memory bank and remember that video as if I scouted the kid traveling down from field to field on a donkey.

PERSON Sox signed this guy Robert, never heard of him.

ME Yeah I scouted some video. Really ...short and ... nice swing. Uses...hips correctly. Definitely has the height you see in some players that are successful.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
PERSON Sox signed this guy Robert, never heard of him.

ME Yeah I scouted some video. Really ...short and ... nice swing. Uses...hips correctly. Definitely has the height you see in some players that are successful.

Don't forget that the ball jumps off his bat.

For real though, it's pretty hard to not be impressed but at the same time who the hell knows what we're actually seeing with something like this.

Edited by Rowand44