Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
Even if he is cleared this year, he could wait until next signing period. Though with the change in rules, teams that are already over spending pools have way more incentive to bid now if he is cleared before the deadline.

True, but pads have such a low ML payroll that I think they'd get him more than post 6/15

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
True, but pads have such a low ML payroll that I think they'd get him more than post 6/15

Exactly. If Robert isn't eligible to sign until J2 the most any team can offer him is $10 million. The most the Sox could offer is $8.3 million and they'd be doing so without signing anyone for more than $300,000 either. If he's cleared before June 15th, then the Sox have no chance in my opinion. A team that is over like San Diego or Atlanta could pay him like $30 million. Nobody can do that under the new rules. The White Sox if cleared before June 15th, have the ability to pay him whatever they want. If they do that though, they won't be able to sign anyone in upcoming J2 period and they most likely have agreements in place already.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
Exactly. If Robert isn't eligible to sign until J2 the most any team can offer him is $10 million. The most the Sox could offer is $8.3 million and they'd be doing so without signing anyone for more than $300,000 either. If he's cleared before June 15th, then the Sox have no chance in my opinion. A team that is over like San Diego or Atlanta could pay him like $30 million. Nobody can do that under the new rules. The White Sox if cleared before June 15th, have the ability to pay him whatever they want. If they do that though, they won't be able to sign anyone in upcoming J2 period and they most likely have agreements in place already.

The good news if he doesn't make this years deadline is that between the teams that can't spend more than 300k this year, and the ones who had already planned to spend either their allotment or over there aren't many teams like the White Sox who should have some quality space left to use. Seeing as they haven't been connected to any top players yet, they might have a lot of space left.

I am hoping the Roberts and his agent chose to sign with the White Sox even if they do not place the highest bid under whatever rules are in place.

I am hoping that Moncada, Abreu and a Spanish speaking Manager will be factors as well as the fact that he has little to no competition from anyone in the Sox system for a starting position in the outfield. Do whatever possible to get him. This rebuild needs some good news.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I am hoping the Roberts and his agent chose to sign with the White Sox even if they do not place the highest bid under whatever rules are in place.

I am hoping that Moncada, Abreu and a Spanish speaking Manager will be factors as well as the fact that he has little to no competition from anyone in the Sox system for a starting position in the outfield. Do whatever possible to get him. This rebuild needs some good news.

Roberts may think that way but the agent 's commisson is based on the bid.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Roberts may think that way but the agent 's commisson is based on the bid.

You are right but neither Roberts nor his agent are here for one transaction. If he makes it on the Whte Sox as a starting outfielder, which is probably more likely than it would be on almost any other team, He will be paid well, and he will be welcomed, as I mentioned, on a team already set up to make Cuban players comfortable.

I'm just trying to be positive if you don't mind.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)

This is actually a pretty solid point. Under the new signing rules there won't be much difference in what teams can offer in terms of pay. If you start looking at secondary factors, the White Sox might be the top landings spot in all of baseball.

They have a history of being good to Cuban players, and they have done it multiple times. Alexei, Dayan, Abreu, etc have all gotten long term playing time, and very solid careers here where they made a lot of money.

We have a Bi-lingual manager that thinks in Spanish as well as he thinks in English. On top of that, they have really integrated Spanish speakers and translators all over their minor league system, as well as the ability for players to learn English too.

We have a very solid core of Spanish players starting out at the youngest ages in the DSL going all of the way up to vets like Jose Quintana and Jose Abreu. Our rookie ball team had a HUGE number of players from Latin America and that group is starting to push through the minors. Some are up to High A ball as the end of last season.

As long as he is still here, having an established Cuban star like Abreu to mentor the guy could be huge. Plus having Moncada in the pipeline these guys can all give cultural insight that no one else can, and they exist not only in the majors, but in the minors too.

The White Sox are still pretty devoid of minor league position player prospects, and their MLB starters are all guys who could be gone very soon.

Re: Luis Robert. @BaseballAmerica thinks #WhiteSox are in good position if he isn't eligible until July 2. But status is TBD by MLB. 1/2

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/837475066052915200

Re: Luis Robert -- If it's current signing period, crapshoot & who knows where bids would go. But, key #WhiteSox staff haven't seen him yet.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/837475398979985408

Either way, #WhiteSox international program is in much better shape now than 6 years ago bc of Marco Paddy. Have more on that up shortly.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/837475728694235136

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
Re: Luis Robert. @BaseballAmerica thinks #WhiteSox are in good position if he isn't eligible until July 2. But status is TBD by MLB. 1/2

Re: Luis Robert -- If it's current signing period, crapshoot & who knows where bids would go. But, key #WhiteSox staff haven't seen him yet.

Either way, #WhiteSox international program is in much better shape now than 6 years ago bc of Marco Paddy. Have more on that up shortly.

Not to be a wet blanket, but the program being in a better spot than six years ago really means nothing. We really need to start seeing some of these guys crack our top 10 list in the near future. Paddy's been given more than enough time to start seeing some results IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
Not to be a wet blanket, but the program being in a better spot than six years ago really means nothing. We really need to start seeing some of these guys crack our top 10 list in the near future. Paddy's been given more than enough time to start seeing some results IMO.

Right. Stepping in dogs*** is better than rolling in dogs***, but it's still s***.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)

One thing I will say here, there is no news until Kenny Williams sees the kid in person.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
Reported to be in on Cuban OFer Luis Robert, #WhiteSox international program is back in very good shape under LA director Marco Paddy. https://t.co/VVYzZRZsSl

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/837478719161692160

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ite-sox-rebuild

Ugh, this quote hurts:

Tatis' stock has risen to where he'd potentially be the first overall pick this summer were he available in the amateur draft

While I don't believe his stock has risen that much, it really sucks that we gave up our best amateur signing under Paddy for James f***ing Shields. Pretty evident that SD had better scouting reports on him than we did.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

There it is. Now if I hear Kenny is going to see the kid personally, I may start to reevaluate my position. There is exactly a zero chance of the White Sox going into a penalty phase if Kenny hasn't even seen the kid yet. He is the final scout in this management structure.

Though Baseball America reported that the White Sox are one of the most talked about teams as a landing spot for Robert, those talks could be premature as several key officials have yet to see him in person.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
There it is. Now if I hear Kenny is going to see the kid personally, I may start to reevaluate my position. There is exactly a zero chance of the White Sox going into a penalty phase if Kenny hasn't even seen the kid yet. He is the final scout in this management structure.

I wonder if in a Quintana trade the White Sox could trade for more pool money. A team is allowed to trade up 75% of there pool money.

Spend whole pool money on LR and not table scraps with no chance of ever making it to MLB. Sox need a splash especially in the rebuild mode, he can grow in minors with other guys.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (kwill @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
I wonder if in a Quintana trade the White Sox could trade for more pool money. A team is allowed to trade up 75% of there pool money.

I am fairly certain that pool money can only be traded during a period. During this CBA period they can only acquire up to 50%, and the amounts are based on trading for slots. After July 2, the 75% rule goes into effect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)

In fairness, he's probably not going to be cleared for at least a few months (even if it's pre-July 2), right? Plenty of time for the Sox or anyone else to do some more Scouting.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
In fairness, he's probably not going to be cleared for at least a few months (even if it's pre-July 2), right? Plenty of time for the Sox or anyone else to do some more Scouting.

Sure. But the reality is no Kenny, no Robert. If Kenny gets involved, then you have legitimate interest from the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Sure. But the reality is no Kenny, no Robert. If Kenny gets involved, then you have legitimate interest from the White Sox.

Good point! Do you think KW can fit in going to take a look at this kid into what must be an awfully busy schedule he's maintaining these days?

:lol:

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 5, 2017 -> 06:21 AM)
The day the White Sox do anything outside of the rules and regulations set forth by MLB regarding spending on amateurs will be the day the world ends . They will not go over allotment and incur penalties. The end.

It isn't outside the rules.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2017 -> 06:27 AM)
It isn't outside the rules.

No but you know as well as anyone that JR has always pushed to keep the league as a more fair playing field by restricting spending. If there are rules or practices to restrict spending (penalties) he will rarely go beyond this.