Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

Any player is available for the right deal, but why deal Rodon when we have five seasons of control left with him?

Plus his trade value would be much higher with a breakout season or two.

Sox should keep him and build the rotation around him

Well that five year of control is a pretty huge selling point and perhaps his upside makes him more attractive to a team like the Yankees. Would they give up Torres for Rodon? Probably not, but if they call starting with that deal the Sox better listen.

One thing about Rodon is we have only heard a brief snippet that could surmise one to think he may be available (Hahn was open to trading anyone with 5 years or less control) but, and maybe this is important maybe its not, I've not yet heard anything about Rodon or even Tim Anderson being off limits. When you have a garage sale you bring the stuff you dont want to sell inside...nothing I've seen indicates the Sox have done that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
Any player is available for the right deal, but why deal Rodon when we have five seasons of control left with him?

Plus his trade value would be much higher with a breakout season or two.

Sox should keep him and build the rotation around him

Anderson and Rodon probably are not for sale for the right deal, because we have no idea what he is worth and neither do any potential suitors.

There's no reason to think that:

1) Rodon won't improve with better catchers and finally feel at home as the "ace of the staff" with Q's departure. In many ways, it will (at least for the time) feel like his team, as well as Anderson and Moncada. In that role, he becomes even more valuable to other teams, at least the perception that he's growing into that projected "ace" or TOR role.

2) That the White Sox won't be able to run competitive teams out there in 2019-2021, especially the latter two years.

So unless you're deathly afraid of a TJS situation with Rodon and also scared to death of his mechanics, or feel he'll never have enough control of his offspeed stuff or cut his walk totals, then there's just no reason to trade him for 50-75% of what he'll be worth in the future.

There's always a risk that Rodon and especially Anderson will backslide, but that's true of all young players. We've experienced it firsthand in recent years with Quentin, Beckham and Viciedo, to name just three.

Edited by caulfield12

How many Q threads have been closed/relocated so far? Is this the 3rd or the 4th? Can't even keep track anymore.

Maybe we need to barrage all the Denver sports media with theoretical Rockies/Sox trades, lol...because this current dynamic of the Astros, Pirates and Braves doesn't have that OOOMPH to get negotiations over the top.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
How many Q threads have been closed/relocated so far? Is this the 3rd or the 4th? Can't even keep track anymore.

Maybe we need to barrage all the Denver sports media with theoretical Rockies/Sox trades, lol...because this current dynamic of the Astros, Pirates and Braves doesn't have that OOOMPH to get negotiations over the top.

Until opening day, the discussion will be constant. Then towards the deadline it'll pick back up again. Worse if we're not competitive.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
Astros fans on Twitter are actually saying they would rather send their top prospects for Sonny Gray...

What in the hell is wrong with them?

I don't think Sonny Gray is available. A's would be stupid to sell low on him.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
Astros fans on Twitter are actually saying they would rather send their top prospects for Sonny Gray...

Same velocity, Q walks less and strikes out more, better career FIP, and longer control (I believe). To prefer Gray over Quintana is to simply not want to give up the farm. Thing is, A's arent going to take less than Gray's value and now wouldn't be a good time to trade him.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)

People still undervalue Q. He was always #2 on the Sox and people won't let go of that no matter how much you prove them wrong.

In reality, what Q has done is made all the more impressive by the fact that he did it in a hitters park in the American League.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
Same velocity, Q walks less and strikes out more, better career FIP, and longer control (I believe). To prefer Gray over Quintana is to simply not want to give up the farm. Thing is, A's arent going to take less than Gray's value and now wouldn't be a good time to trade him.

They would be sending good prospects to a division rival on top of it all. When he is on top of his game he is one of the best but he was injured a lot last year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
Is Q Buehrle with some velocity?

Currently Quintana has actually been a bit better than Buehrle from a statistical standpoint. Quintana has a long way to go to prove his longevity like Buehrle did though (14 staright 200+ inning seasons...finished with 198 in 2015 which would have been 15)

Both have clear plus control, but Quintana has a bit better velocity which leads to a higher strikeout rate.

Quintana is the type of pitcher that I could see going on to have an excellent rest of his career and pitch at a high level for years

You know, my seasonal affective disorder is kicking in full gear today and I could really use a fun distraction to cheer me up a bit. A day of Whitesox trade talk with breaking news throughout the day would be welcomed with open arms. I need some damn sunshine and blue skies, jeez.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
You know, my seasonal affective disorder is kicking in full gear today and I could really use a fun distraction to cheer me up a bit. A day of Whitesox trade talk with breaking news throughout the day would be welcomed with open arms. I need some damn sunshine and blue skies, jeez.

It's kind of torture when you really want something to happen and nothing happens. I can't imagine Q being at Soxfest but not making it to the start of the season.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
Broken Clock Syndrome

I believe the last thing he broke was Theo Epstein's extension.

Things are really quiet again...great. They shouldn't have teased us with news about talks with the Pirates and Yankees weeks ago.

I don't see how anyone can be to blame when you have zero idea what is really going on. It could be a team has offered enough for the White Sox but they are holding out because they like another team's players a little more and maybe they will cave. Until he is ultimately traded, and even then we should wait a while, judging is silly. All we get is rumors.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Rick Hahn to Blame for Q market stalling out?

This is from The Athletic, I don't have a subscription so I can't read anything past the first paragraph, but looks like potential blame shifting to RH taking too long to make a deal piece (basing that on context clues).

It's not that. Solid article actually. Basically just said Hahn wrecked the market with his outstanding deals. Never blamed him.

I cant read it either and I'm not subscribing to it to find out, but I suspect its premise is that Hahn has some delusions about Jose Quintana's value.

Jose Quintana is worth what the market is willing to pay for him, and that is all there is to it. Now a little salesmanship can go a ways to bringing out a maximum return but the fact is teams will only give up so much. After more than a month of talks (that have been admittedly interrupted by the holidays) I dont think there's much work left to do and at this point teams are going to start moving on (ASTROS) from Quintana and find solutions elsewhere.

I dont think its impossible that Q's value has already started to decline.