Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Spring training starts in 4 weeks. Judge teams then. There are tons of free agents still out there. There are still players available via trade.

All this media stuff is part of the game. Take it all with a grain of salt and just wait for actual moves.

There is barely any fun in that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
There was a point that Levine said all other 29 teams had conversations with the Sox about Q. LOL

He always has to leave the door open to be wrong and still right at the same time.

I have no doubt that the first line is absolutely true. Any team in baseball who didn't ask about him once the Sox started selling would have been negligent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
I have no doubt that the first line is absolutely true. Any team in baseball who didn't ask about him once the Sox started selling would have been negligent.

Which I dont doubt but he used it in the context of the now to suggest that all teams are a full possibility at this point.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Feels like people take these rumors personally. Why wouldn't the Astros monitor the Gray situation? If you could get him for .50 on the dollar wouldn't you call?

Im sure the astros are trying to exhaust all options but theres no way the A's would sell gray for .50 on the dollar. Im sure thats what the astros think but there will be a wake up call.

Luhnow looking more and more like a dumb dog chasing its tail. Not long ago when Luhnow didn't like Hahn's asking price for Q, he moved on to Duffy/Ventura and then a few weeks later back in discussions for Q again. Now they supposedly have their eye on Gray, lol. Go ahead Luhnow, trade for anyone of Duffy/Ventura/Gray and add them to the problematic pitchers you already have. Feel free to call the Sox when you give up on childish bluffs and your balls drop which will allow you to pony up for the best available SP on the trade market.

I feel like the A's would be better waiting until Quintana is off the market to sell Gray. I mean once Q is gone there is literally nobody left available unless you want to sacrifice your entire farm for Archer. Makes sense that Houston would already be going after Gray if they are out on Q...try and get ahead of the Gray market before it explodes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
Feels like people take these rumors personally. Why wouldn't the Astros monitor the Gray situation? If you could get him for .50 on the dollar wouldn't you call?

As if they haven't been talking to them since November?

The rumors are so redundant they really offer little else but perhaps a posturing motive.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I feel like the A's would be better waiting until Quintana is off the market to sell Gray. I mean once Q is gone there is literally nobody left available unless you want to sacrifice your entire farm for Archer. Makes sense that Houston would already be going after Gray if they are out on Q...try and get ahead of the Gray market before it explodes.

A's arent moving gray until he can sorta be healthy and get back to pitching better. Hes stock is low. A's can still afford to let him trying coming back and trade him down the line.

I still think its going to be the Yankees that trade for Q. When you think about the teams that typically arent afraid of doing what it takes to put a lot on the line with elite prospects in a trade to get what they want/need you dont think of teams like the Astro's and Pirates. They havent been willing to in the past and wont be in the future. Let them keep placing their penny bets at the slot machine hoping to cash in on the big 5,000 jackpot instead of playing at the 20 dollar slots trying to hit a game changing jackpot.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

15s

Sources: Danny Duffy and the Kansas City Royals have agreed on a five-year, $65 million contract extension.

One less potential SP to grab now.

link

C'Mon Houston, time to pony up!

Rick Hahn is having his Scrooge McDuck safe installed.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

15s

Sources: Danny Duffy and the Kansas City Royals have agreed on a five-year, $65 million contract extension.

One less potential SP to grab now.

link

C'Mon Houston, time to pony up!

How I imagine Hahn at the sound of this news

family-guy-good-good-evil-cockroach.gif

If and when the Royals fall out of it this year, they're going to be the team cleaning up on trades at the deadline.

The Sox are trading Quintana before opening day, probably way sooner.

Duffy signed that deal because he wanted to stay with KC it would be incredibly s***ty of them to take advantage of that to get him on a team friendly deal in an effort to up his trade value. I mean at least the Sox gave it a try with Eaton, Sale and Quintana on their deals before trading them...to exploit a guys affection for your franchise like that would probably do more harm than good in the long run.

from FG

12:27

jon: Are the White Sox bluffing with respect to holding Quintana into the season? Increase in return is probably small and the risk is obviously asymmetric and concentrated.

12:28

Travis Sawchik: If only we were privy to the offers … That contract allows the White Sox to be patient. They could also find more suitors at the deadline, potentially

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Duffy signed that deal because he wanted to stay with KC it would be incredibly s***ty of them to take advantage of that to get him on a team friendly deal in an effort to up his trade value. I mean at least the Sox gave it a try with Eaton, Sale and Quintana on their deals before trading them...to exploit a guys affection for your franchise like that would probably do more harm than good in the long run.

That's business dude. Nobody forces anyone to sign contracts.

I know that the reports mean nothing and we can never truly understand what is going on in the offices of the GM's, but jeez astros... first their *apparently* going after Archer, now their focused on Gray? Hello guys, you have an ace in Quintana waiting to be traded. Quintana > Gray right now after Gray's disastrous season last year and Gray will likely cost similar to Quintana. Archer is going to cost more than Q and also didn't have that great of a season.

It's like they want to get all risky with Gray/Archer but see Quintanas consistency and say ehhh not flashy enough, sry!

That's business dude. Nobody forces anyone to sign contracts.

Lying to a guy about your plans regarding him to get him to sign is not "business". In some respects it could be considered fraudulent but at the very least its dishonest and not commendable. I dont think that's what Moore is doing with Duffy though, having a decent starter locked for $12m per is probably a solid move.

To me this is all very simple. Hahn is most likely demanding an "untouchable" from each team right now. So Bregman for Houston, Swanson for Altanta, Torres for New York, & Meadows for Pittsburgh. While I truly believe the Sox want to get a Quintana deal before spring training and will eventually accept a package without one of the untouchables mentioned above, they also know that they control the market and can take their sweet ass time in hopes of one of these teams getting desperate. That obviously hasn't happened yet and I think they're realizing they now need to move forward if the Levine leak is any indication. The Astros' leak IMO pretty clearly tells sellers (both the Sox & Rays) that Bregman is off limits, so either s*** or get off the pot. I really think we're approaching the finish line here. The Astros & Sox both want this deal to get done and I think the standoff is about to end with concessions on both sides.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Lying to a guy about your plans regarding him to get him to sign is not "business". In some respects it could be considered fraudulent but at the very least its dishonest and not commendable. I dont think that's what Moore is doing with Duffy though, having a decent starter locked for $12m per is probably a solid move.

He has an agent. He is free to negotiate any clause he wants into his contract. Its not "fraud" because the contract is going to have a merger clause that basically says "This is the entire agreement, anything not contained in this agreement means jack s***."

And if his agent isnt smart enough to understand how to negotiate and draft a contract, Ill gladly take the 1-3% of $50mil and do it for him.