President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Cool, vote against it, they are still going to all be confirmed.

And I have to be honest, I think most of them should be. Confirmation process isn't about whether the Senate likes them or not. The President should have wide latitude to nominate people and have them confirmed.

The key is, if they are just complete disasters. So for people like DeVos (who is laughably unqualified) and Tillerson (who is unqualified AND has huge conflicts of interest), I'm all about blocking them. But many others, not so much.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
And I have to be honest, I think most of them should be. Confirmation process isn't about whether the Senate likes them or not. The President should have wide latitude to nominate people and have them confirmed.

The key is, if they are just complete disasters. So for people like DeVos (who is laughably unqualified) and Tillerson (who is unqualified AND has huge conflicts of interest), I'm all about blocking them. But many others, not so much.

When I called our Senators last week, I stressed DeVos, Tillerson and Sessions.

Something else that's not getting a lot of attention thanks to the Muslim Ban stuff is that Trump filed for candidacy in the 2020 election the day he was inaugurated. That's highly unusual, and it brings up all sorts of questions about fundraising/bribing and potentially how non-profits are allowed to go after him as President vs. as a "candidate"

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)

The midterm election is 2018 is going to be one of the most important in a long time for this country.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yeah something is going to give soon with that. The priebus interview defending the removal of mentioning Jews from the holocaust is something that is so outside how we have treated things forever.

After sucking it up and reading a denial website or two, they were praising Trump for adopting their language. The specific quote was that they were rejecting the "science fiction" of gas chambers and ovens aimed specifically at the Jews.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
After sucking it up and reading a denial website or two, they were praising Trump for adopting their language. The specific quote was that they were rejecting the "science fiction" of gas chambers and ovens aimed specifically at the Jews.

People are crazy thats for sure. I guess it wasnt a "Jewish question" he was trying to find the final answer to.

Looking for a little guidance here. My wife & I gathered the phone numbers of our US Senators & Representative and our state Senator & Representative. We have a list of issues that we are concerned about. The problem is, I've never made a call like this. Will somebody actually answer the phone or am I just going to leave a message? If somebody does answer, do I ask to speak to the Senator? Should I call the Washington DC phone number or the local one? How many issues should I bring up to them? Any help or info on this would be appreciated.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
Looking for a little guidance here. My wife & I gathered the phone numbers of our US Senators & Representative and our state Senator & Representative. We have a list of issues that we are concerned about. The problem is, I've never made a call like this. Will somebody actually answer the phone or am I just going to leave a message? If somebody does answer, do I ask to speak to the Senator? Should I call the Washington DC phone number or the local one? How many issues should I bring up to them? Any help or info on this would be appreciated.

1. Generally you do expect that people will pick up, although for some reason over the last week their staffs have been overwhelmed.

2. Do not ask to speak to the Senator or Congressperson unless you also are writing them a $2000 check.

3. Focusing on 1 or 2 issues per call is best.

4. Be polite. These are low paid staffers or volunteers who take down people's comments and record them in sort of a "pooling" fashion. Don't yell, don't be angry even with them.

5. If you get sent to voice mail, leave a message stating your name, your zip code, and express your opinion on that issue. Someone will get to that eventually.

6. If the lines are completely jammed and voice mail is full, call back another time and feel free to complain about that when you call back as that's a failure to meet the needs of your district.

7. There is debate over whether calling the local office or national office is preferable, some people strongly advocate for both. I think you're good either way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
1. Generally you do expect that people will pick up, although for some reason over the last week their staffs have been overwhelmed.

2. Do not ask to speak to the Senator or Congressperson unless you also are writing them a $2000 check.

3. Focusing on 1 or 2 issues per call is best.

4. Be polite. These are low paid staffers or volunteers who take down people's comments and record them in sort of a "pooling" fashion. Don't yell, don't be angry even with them.

5. If you get sent to voice mail, leave a message stating your name, your zip code, and express your opinion on that issue. Someone will get to that eventually.

6. If the lines are completely jammed and voice mail is full, call back another time and feel free to complain about that when you call back as that's a failure to meet the needs of your district.

7. There is debate over whether calling the local office or national office is preferable, some people strongly advocate for both. I think you're good either way.

Good rundown.

If you don't know how to start just go with "I'd like to know the senators stance on X" and then they may or may not yet have one, so tell them your stance and what you'd like to see.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)

You'll almost definitely get a staffer if you get through. For Senators, you'll probably get a voicemail box based on the volume of calls they're receiving right now. Start with the DC office, and then go down the line of local offices until you can get a person or at least a voicemail.

For Reps, you're more likely to get a staffer. There are lots of call scripts out there, but the big ones are to state that "my name is X and I am a constituent of Rep. blah blah" and then go into your concerns. If you have a specific question about their stances or how they plan to vote on something, feel free to ask. If you get the answer you want, great, say thanks, if not, urge them to reconsider. They log these things and keep track of how many people call in favor of/opposed to things.

edit: beaten by both balta and bmags, but don't forget to write either actual letters or emails. Not nearly as impactful as calling, but it's still something.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
You know you done f***ed up if the Koch Brothers are against a policy set forth by a Republican president.

It was all roses until you f***ed with the bottom line

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
You know you done f***ed up if the Koch Brothers are against a policy set forth by a Republican president.

Cheney has had a pretty negative reaction as well. That said, all of these people are pro Bush, so it shouldn't be a major surprise given how anti Trump most everyone associated with Bush(es) has been.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
The midterm election is 2018 is going to be one of the most important in a long time for this country.

I just hope people actually go out and vote and participate. Since I live in Illinois and I don't know that my vote really matters in my district, should I reach out to the Democratic Township to make calls to other states or do townships just do outreach locally? I'm an independent but there's no way I'm helping Mr. Trump.