President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
Anybody who knows anything about hacking knows that the footprints of competent hackers are either undetectable or purposely left behind to deceive and leave traces with the intent of implicating someone else. Hackers who wish to implicate another group of people will use that group of peoples techniques, will perpetrate the hack during the business hours of those who they wish to frame, etc. The CIA employs this tactic regularly and has power points that lay the process out - it's public information. Note the article's third paragraph: "A U.S. intelligence officer who declined to be identified cautioned against drawing too big a conclusion from the document because a single analysis is not necessarily definitive."

Seems like more unsourced conjecture fueling left wing conspiracy for a few days until the next big unsourced, conjecture-based story comes out.

I thought you were a fan of The Intercept?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it odd that we're up in arms over this Russia meddling (justifiably so) yet don't seem concerned at all that "top secret" documents and reports continue to be leaked from our intelligence agencies on a routine basis. What's the real threat to our security? The fact that Russia tries to influence our elections, as we do all over the globe, or the fact that our intelligence communities can't keep their own s*** together?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
I find it odd that we're up in arms over this Russia meddling (justifiably so) yet don't seem concerned at all that "top secret" documents and reports continue to be leaked from our intelligence agencies on a routine basis. What's the real threat to our security? The fact that Russia tries to influence our elections, as we do all over the globe, or the fact that our intelligence communities can't keep their own s*** together?

undermining the legitimacy of our democracy seems worse than leaking governmental wrong-doing or other damaging information that they're covering up to protect themselves

Mike Flynn, compromised foreign asset, would still be NatSec if someone hadn't leaked about him.

Still not buying it. The agencies we entrust to keep our secrets safe can't do so because of politics. We're SUPPORTING the release of that information because it proves something else we don't like. How's that not undermining our democracy?

edit: it's one thing to leak classified information to prove potential criminal activity and/or to make public an issue of a high ranking official lying. It's another to leak a report during the midst of an investigation to prove what? Other than clicks?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
Because it doesn't undermine the democracy itself? You can say it threatens national security maybe, but how do any of the leaks threaten democracy itself in the way that foreign governments tampering with elections would?

It's breaking down any sense of trust we have in our government. It's breaking down trust between those in the government itself. How can the CIA or NSA function if a rogue federal contractor can obtain top secret clearance and then print docs off and send them to media outlet? And there's no backlash to it?

I suppose it's semantics a bit here, whether it's undermining our democracy or a major security threat, in either case, this is an ongoing problem i'm more concerned about.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
Still not buying it. The agencies we entrust to keep our secrets safe can't do so because of politics. We're SUPPORTING the release of that information because it proves something else we don't like. How's that not undermining our democracy?

edit: it's one thing to leak classified information to prove potential criminal activity and/or to make public an issue of a high ranking official lying. It's another to leak a report during the midst of an investigation to prove what? Other than clicks?

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your point, but it also seems as if we have a good portion of congress that is, for lack of a better explanation, covering up and deflecting an investigation into Trumps connections to Russia. I don't like the leaks but at the same time I don't like that congress refuses to look at Trumps tax returns and now his numerous connections to some super shady Russian players.

There is no good answer, hopefully this will result in measures being taken to prevent it in the future

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 05:12 PM)
It's breaking down any sense of trust we have in our government. It's breaking down trust between those in the government itself. How can the CIA or NSA function if a rogue federal contractor can obtain top secret clearance and then print docs off and send them to media outlet? And there's no backlash to it?

I suppose it's semantics a bit here, whether it's undermining our democracy or a major security threat, in either case, this is an ongoing problem i'm more concerned about.

Its a real problem, but no one wants to combat it because both sides want to use it to their advantage.

With a normal President I think youd get a lot more backlash, but I think many feel Trump gave it a green light when he said "I hope the Russians hack" or was praising Wikileaks. That is why Trump's ideas are so dangerous, he encouraged this type of behavior and now wonders why its happening.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 05:12 PM)

There are issues there, and what leaks are justified or not is a subjective and difficult question. I maintain that it's a separate issue from undermining democracy itself.

You might like the Frontline episode top secret America if you're interested in this. The recent CIA leaks do show the damage that can happen when they're are so many cleared contractors.

There's another problem with the leaking theories.

The one in which the "deep state" Bannon is at perpetual war with is leaking in order with the express intention to remove Trump from power (or weaken him to the point where he'd be forced to resign) so that Mike Pence can be put in charge of the military/industrial complex and align with McCain/Lindsey Graham, etc., on foreign policy.

This idea is just as credible (as Obama loyalists perpetrating it), because there's no split ticket where the Dems can insert their own VP into the line of presidential succession.

Edited by caulfield12

And the Russians continue to laugh at this circus. What a bonehead move it was to make public "the Russians meddled in our election". The rule is you keep that s*** under wraps because every country is trying to meddle in every other country's affairs every day. That's geopolitics par for the course. Making this into this big ongoing story is the worst thing for global democracy ever. Makes us look so stupid giving them all this press. And still no evidence anybody did anything wrong, as obviously expected. So dumb. Let's get back to helping Americans.

Oh look another American politician met with a Russian politician! Oh no! Manchurian Candidate. Gimme a break.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
And the Russians continue to laugh at this circus. What a bonehead move it was to make public "the Russians meddled in our election". The rule is you keep that s*** under wraps because every country is trying to meddle in every other country's affairs every day. That's geopolitics par for the course. Making this into this big ongoing story is the worst thing for global democracy ever. Makes us look so stupid giving them all this press. And still no evidence anybody did anything wrong, as obviously expected. So dumb. Let's get back to helping Americans.

Oh look another American politician met with a Russian politician! Oh no! Manchurian Candidate. Gimme a break.

They didn't meddle. Putin cleared that up with Megyn Kelly..

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Trump had talked during the campaign about spending a trillion dollars on an infrastructure program.

He's now expected to propose privatizing air traffic control and drastically reducing federal infrastructure spending, instead calling on state and local governments to should the burden and rely increasingly on privatized infrastructure.

More info

As the Associated Press describes it, “According to Trump’s budget proposal, the funding would come from $200 billion in tax breaks over nine years that would then — in theory — leverage $1 trillion worth of construction.”

That’s the biggest problem of all. Not long ago the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities succinctly described the approach Trump wants to take:

"Rather than public investment — with the government allocating the money and directing it to where it’s most needed — the Trump plan relies entirely on private projects through which investors (e.g., private contractors) would own the projects, get huge federal tax credits equal to a stunning 82 percent of their equity investment, and make profits from the tolls or fees they would charge to consumers."

That might save some money in the very short run, but it means that consumers keep paying, basically forever. In the traditional approach, government spends the money to build, say, a bridge, and then it’s built and it belongs to the taxpayers. There are maintenance costs, but that’s it. In the Trump approach, the government gives almost as much money in tax breaks as it would have spent building the bridge, but it belongs to the developer, who charges tolls that everyone who uses the bridge has to keep paying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-l...omepage%2Fstory

25 year old Reality Winner identified as NSA documents leaker

https://www.yahoo.com/news/reality-winner-2...-051854614.html

Although Winner's social media posts, such as pictures uploaded on Instagram, reportedly indicated that she enjoyed her time in Georgia, some of her other social media posts, especially those on Facebook were derogatory toward US president Donald Trump. She reportedly referred to him as a "piece of s***" in a post in February.

Winner's family is still reportedly grappling with her arrest. However, the 25-year old has been lauded by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange who took to Twitter to write that Winner has been "accused of courage in trying to help us know" and must be "supported".

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)

I guess all the evidence they have so far is "fake news" then????

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 03:24 AM)
I guess all the evidence they have so far is "fake news" then????

Whoa man. I'm no die-hard Trump Hog. Just been around long enough to know Hillary pulled out the Russia card as a deflection. I bet even she is surprised at what it's become.

And what evidence? Maybe I missed some.