Robertson to WASH was close, now at stalemate

Whisox05

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
If Washington really wanted to win in the window in which they have Harper, they'd do something. It doesn't seem like that's the case though which is extremely puzzling.

I think it fits the mold we have seen for a while now in that teams do not like mortgaging their future prospects unless it's for someone like Chris Sale. Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Astros etc. all want to build from within and add FA's if necessary. I don't think teams are all that worried about spending money, but prospects are another thing.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
If Washington really wanted to win in the window in which they have Harper, they'd do something. It doesn't seem like that's the case though which is extremely puzzling.

Hahn knows that the Nationals are not in a great place with regards to bullpen. They have Kelley and Treinen, but not much else that is reliable beyond that.

Belisle had a nice season in 2016, but he turns 27 this season and is at the age where you can fall apart quickly.

Solis is a decent pen arm, nothing spectacular

The rest of the pen is not great

Anything less than Fedde or Soto given our negotiating position would be disappointing

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
I think it fits the mold we have seen for a while now in that teams do not like mortgaging their future prospects unless it's for someone like Chris Sale. Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Astros etc. all want to build from within and add FA's if necessary. I don't think teams are all that worried about spending money, but prospects are another thing.

No team likes dealing prospects, but that is the price of doing business

Sox aren't going to give Robertson away unless they get decent value in return

Proven mlb players will always have a prospect cost associated, unless it is a pure salary dump.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
No team likes dealing prospects, but that is the price of doing business

Sox aren't going to give Robertson away unless they get decent value in return

Proven mlb players will always have a prospect cost associated, unless it is a pure salary dump.

Totally agree. The fit seems really logical but it's actually a hard deal to complete given the money, Nat's org depth, Eaton trade...

I'd be upset with anything less than Soto/Kieboom for Robertson if he had a lot of value and was crucial to the rebuild. But he's just not a top closer like Chapman or Miller so maybe it's best to accept a deal from the Nats that works for both teams. It allows Jones to get some saves and increase his already high trade value who actually is really important to the rebuild.

Glover is top notch bullpen arm and would be a nice get for Sox. Throws 98, nasty slider.

Considering the hard caps on international spending, the way the draft works, and given the White Sox current payroll, Robertson's paycheck isn't going to cause any strain on JR's wallet or cause the team to spend less on prospects. There is absolutely no reason for a salary dump unless you just think he is going to be awful. Either get something interesting back now or wait. No pressure at all on RH to rid himself of Robertson.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Considering the hard caps on international spending, the way the draft works, and given the White Sox current payroll, Robertson's paycheck isn't going to cause any strain on JR's wallet or cause the team to spend less on prospects. There is absolutely no reason for a salary dump unless you just think he is going to be awful. Either get something interesting back now or wait. No pressure at all on RH to rid himself of Robertson.

Agreed, a pure salary dump doesn't make sense because there's really nowhere else that money can go at the moment.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Totally agree. The fit seems really logical but it's actually a hard deal to complete given the money, Nat's org depth, Eaton trade...

I'd be upset with anything less than Soto/Kieboom for Robertson if he had a lot of value and was crucial to the rebuild. But he's just not a top closer like Chapman or Miller so maybe it's best to accept a deal from the Nats that works for both teams. It allows Jones to get some saves and increase his already high trade value who actually is really important to the rebuild.

Glover is top notch bullpen arm and would be a nice get for Sox. Throws 98, nasty slider.

I like the Glover idea. Pairing him with Burdi in the back end of the pen has all kinds of nasty potential.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
I like the Glover idea. Pairing him with Burdi in the back end of the pen has all kinds of nasty potential.

Glover is not a bad prospect, but I'd certainly aim for a higher return than him as a centerpiece

If Robertson's pricetag were that low he would have been dealt already

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
Glover is not a bad prospect, but I'd certainly aim for a higher return than him as a centerpiece

If Robertson's pricetag were that low he would have been dealt already

I just like the idea of Glover being in the return for Robertson. No doubt it would take more than Glover even though I do have low expectations on Robertson's value at this point.

Here's two interesting scenarios for the board.

1) Keep Robertson to hopefully build more value and trade at the deadline. Then make Jones the closer for the rest of '17 and hope he has some success and potentially traded as a closer next winter.

Or

2) trade Robertson now for the best package possible. Make Jones the closer and hope he succeeds and potentially gets traded for a haul in July.

Scenario #1 gives the best chance for maximum value if Robertson has a good first half and Jones becomes a solid closer in the second half. Those ifs do come with more risk and wait a bit longer for the rewards.

Scenario #2 would mean taking potentially less now for Robertson but Jones' value could go up with some success as a closer in the first half and be traded for a haul in July when teams are more desperate.

If the Nat's offered a nice package for Robertson I'd go ahead and take it, then move on. If Jones has success as a closer in the first half his value would jump alot. He would no longer be sold as a setup arm and instead as a Closer. Combine that with his contract and he makes for a very cheap and appealing closer at the deadline.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I just like the idea of Glover being in the return for Robertson. No doubt it would take more than Glover even though I do have low expectations on Robertson's value at this point.

1) Keep Robertson to hopefully build more value and trade at the deadline. Then make Jones the closer for the rest of '17 and hope he has some success and potentially traded as a closer next winter.

Or

2) trade Robertson now for the best package possible. Make Jones the closer and hope he succeeds and potentially gets traded for a haul in July.

Scenario #1 gives the best chance for maximum value if Robertson has a good first half and Jones becomes a solid closer in the second half. Those ifs do come with more risk and wait a bit longer for the rewards.

Scenario #2 would mean taking potentially less now for Robertson but Jones' value could go up with some success as a closer in the first half and be traded for a haul in July when teams are more desperate.

If the Nat's offered a nice package for Robertson I'd go ahead and take it, then move on. If Jones has success as a closer in the first half his value would jump alot. He would no longer be sold as a setup arm and instead as a Closer. Combine that with his contract and he makes for a very cheap and appealing closer at the deadline.

I get what you are suggesting, but I think the reality is looking like Robertson is on the Sox until the trade deadline

I'd much rather put him on the block when you have multiple contenders interested in adding bullpen help, and both he and Nate Jones could be moved for prospects

If a good deal emerges now, you obviously take it. I doubt the Nationals are going to offer up enough to realistically get the Sox to move him though. We don't need the salary relief, we need prospects right now.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)

Or

I'd much rather roll with scenario 2. Robertson is not going to get anything more than a back end top #100 prospect if he recoups all his value. Just look at the Melancon trade from last year.

If Jones proves himself as a closer, he could be worth two top 100 prospects.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
I'd much rather roll with scenario 2. Robertson is not going to get anything more than a back end top #100 prospect if he recoups all his value. Just look at the Melancon trade from last year.

The Pirates got Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn in exchange for a three month rental of Melancon. It might not seem like a huge haul, but Rivero was very solid last season and is only 25 years old

Hearn is an interesting arm that could develop into a quality player.

Minor League ball has Hearn ranked as Pittsburgh's #7 best prospect

#7 Taylor Hearn, LHP, Grade B-: Age 22, drafted by Nationals in fifth round in 2015 from Oklahoma Baptist; acquired in July Mark Melancon trade; 2.44 ERA with 75/23 K/BB in 52 innings between rookie ball and Low-A; somewhat old for these levels but he was considered raw for his age when drafted and has made good progress in pro ball; explosive fastball with movement at 94-98 MPH, with reports of 99 at times; took step forward with hard slider as well as command; very athletic, loose arm; change-up and command need work; not rated this highly on other lists but my intuition likes this one a lot and there’s no question about his physical ability; high risk, high reward. ETA late 2019.

Two arms with upside for a rental is a good return. Robertson could easily return more than Melancon did because he is under contract for the next two seasons, at potentially a reasonable sum if the Sox kick in some cash to go along with him

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
Marc Topkin @TBTimes_Rays

2m

Per source, #Rays are trading LHP Enny Romero to #Nationals for a lower-level starting pitching prospect

Nats bullpen issues solved

Looks like the Nats are out of the Robertson running now...

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Is this really a thing?

absolutely his brother was drafted as a catcher and he has a similar build and projection of the "type" of player to be moved out of the infield and behind the dish as he fills out.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
I really think Washington tried to land free agent relievers but failed to sign any of them. Now they are sulking back to the White Sox complaining they can't pay money or prospects but want Robertson.

Sox know they have the advantage because the Nats really do need him. Eventually I think they will bite the bullet and offer up a respectable package that includes either Fedde or Soto (likely Soto) plus another piece, which would be a quality move for the Sox

We will eat 6-8 million of the contract to help offset some cost, and done deal

I do not believe the Nationals need David Robertson. I think the two teams will bounce a few scenarios off of each other but that ultimately nothing will come to fruition. The Nationals have a decent, if unproven, back end of the bullpen, and additions to the bullpen can always be made midseason too. The Cubs used like 20 different guys and their bullpen situation was frankly less volatile than most other major league teams.

I think the Nationals are going to try and find a relative bargain for a proven reliever. The Sox really can't provide that, unless the Nationals are willing to take like Dan Jennings or something.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)

I agree and don't see Robertson gaining much in value either. I wouldn't give him away but would take a reasonable offer right now and make Jones the closer with hope for a haul in July.