Moncada will not be rushed

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
Agreed, but at the same time it's probably better to make sure he's playing really well in AAA to avoid stunting his development (the fear if he comes up to the majors too quickly)

This is the point I was trying to make. In a perfect world, I'd like to see him master AAA before coming to Chicago to ensure he's fully ready. With the MLB team in the midst of a rebuild, I hope that is the route they decide to take with him. It makes the most sense for both Moncada and the organization.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 10:24 PM)
Dudes looked lost at the plate this spring.

Agreed. Moncada should not start at AAA, I'd start him at AA if I was Hahn. He should also not see any Major League time until September at the earliest unless he proves otherwise. By proving otherwise, he'd have to absolutely destroy AA and AAA( like .350/.425/.975 or better) to get called up before September. Moncada could still be a star, but he's clearly nowhere close to ready. He needs to spend the entire season in the minors, IMO.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 07:44 PM)
Yes. Moncada should not start at AAA, I'd start him at AA if I was Hahn. He should also not see any Major League time until September at the earliest unless he proves otherwise. By proving otherwise, he'd have to absolutely destroy AA and AAA( like .350/.425/.975 or better) to get called up before September. Moncada could still be a star, but he's clearly nowhere close to ready. He needs to spend the entire season in the minors, IMO.

Yep. No reason to even put him in AAA at this point.

Edit: Well, here's the only reason I could see an assignment to AAA - if they felt he couldn't find big leauge breaking stuff in AA AND if they believed that he could overcome his issues against such competition. That said, put him in AA.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
If only there were a game thread to discuss this. Oh wait...

Oh wait... the thread for today's games doesn't exist, so far as I can see...

Edit: Yea, it's already been archived for some reason. God forbid we discuss Moncada in a Moncada thread.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 10:51 PM)
Oh wait... the thread for today's games doesn't exist, so far as I can see...

Edit: Yea, it's already been archived for some reason. God forbid we discuss Moncada in a Moncada thread.

I was trying to make a joke about the game thread being gone, not taking a shot at you.

Anyway, yeah Moncada one k away from a sombrero.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
I was trying to make a joke about the game thread being gone, not taking a shot at you.

Anyway, yeah Moncada one k away from a sombrero.

How dare thou bring about the poopmonster while neglecting thy toilet paper!!!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 04:24 AM)
Dudes looked lost at the plate this spring.

He tries to be too patient at the plate and ends up only getting a swing or two every at bat to put the ball in play. I'm hopeful it will improve but this spring has definitely shown his two main warts (k and fielding)

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
He tries to be too patient at the plate and ends up only getting a swing or two every at bat to put the ball in play. I'm hopeful it will improve but this spring has definitely shown his two main warts (k and fielding)

In the at bats I've seen so far he's the poster boy image of "star prospect pressing too hard." Hopefully we'll all start seeing his instincts take over and he can relax a bit. For a highly touted prospect like him, that can be a big part of the journey in and of itself.

Do what got you this far... not what you think you need to do to prove yourself.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:05 PM)

Never thought I would hear that as a bad thing for a young prospect. :lol:

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 12, 2017 -> 11:58 PM)
Moncada is 0 for 4 with 4 Ks. So is Davidson.

After a nice long Sox rally in the 9th, both have a chance to go for 5 K's.

Moncada failed.

He hit a 2-RBI double. Sox with a massive comeback, helped by like 4 errors in the inning. Sox have scored 8 runs in the 9th. It's now 9-3. Holy hell.

Moncada bats for the third time in the inning... rips a first pitch fastball down to first. Very comfortable swing. Solid contact. Great play or it would have been a double.

He slid head first into the bag with the defender also sliding into the bag.

That was his Puig moment.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
I know it's only been a handful of games and a small sample size, but I'm starting to worry a bit about Moncada's K rate.

MLB pitchers are going to eat him alive if he doesn't improve.

He needs reps

A full season in AAA will go a long way towards helping him improve. We have to remember that Moncada is a prospect at this point, not a finished player

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
I know it's only been a handful of games and a small sample size, but I'm starting to worry a bit about Moncada's K rate.

MLB pitchers are going to eat him alive if he doesn't improve.

He's probably a bust.