Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension

Tony

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Timmy just sold himself really short. But hey, when you have kids sometimes you just have to take the safest path.

These deals often seem to go to players that didn't expect to be there. Gets himself some guaranteed money for life.

For the Sox, this deal makes a lot of sense. They're exposed to some risk because there are statistical indicators that Anderson would regress this year (though scouting reasons to expect improvement). But their current payroll obligations make it such that the franchise will be fine if Anderson fell off the face of the Earth. The upside is so high that we can easily stomach wasting $4M/year if he busts. If you give out enough deals like this, you only need a small portion of them to work out to break even.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
Awesome.

Sale signed his extension in March of 2013. It guaranteed him 5 years and $32.5 million, buying out one year of free agency for $12 million. And the team holding options on 2 more years of what would have been free agency for $26 million total.

Quintana signed his extension in March of 2014. It guaranteed him 5 years $26.5 million (due to being arbitration eligible following 2014). The team then holds options for his 1st 2 years of what would have been free agency for $22 million.

Eaton signed his extension in March of 2015. It guaranteed him 5 years and $23.5 million. The deal bought out what would have been his 1st year of free agency for $8.4 million and then gave the team 2 options for $20 million.

I assume Anderson's 6 year deal will have 2 club options attached to it.

What deals like this amount to is a mutual bet between club ownership and the player

The player likes the security a deal like that gives him and his family. $25 million allows Tim to be set for life.

The Sox are betting that he succeeds and gets to buy out two seasons of free agency at a significantly reduced rate via teams options

I'm sure the Sox would love to approach Rodon about an extension, although I'm not sure if Boras would allow for it

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
These deals often seem to go to players that didn't expect to be there. Gets himself some guaranteed money for life.

Nothing is certain in baseball. It makes sense for Anderson to take the money here. He is very unproven and as a shortstop could be a knee injury away from being significantly worse at his job.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
I'm sure the Sox would love to approach Rodon about an extension, although I'm not sure if Boras would allow for it

Now that'll be a feat any of us would be impressed by if Hahn somehow by the grace of God pulled that off.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
What deals like this amount to is a mutual bet between club ownership and the player

The player likes the security a deal like that gives him and his family. $25 million allows Tim to be set for life.

The Sox are betting that he succeeds and gets to buy out two seasons of free agency at a significantly reduced rate via teams options

Yeah Boras would never allow them to sign a team friendly contract giving away a year or two of control.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
K not so terrible for TA

"Shortstop Tim Anderson can earn total of $51.5 million if #Whitesox pick up 2 club option years of record deal http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...99441684/"

-nightingale on twitter

Not a bad price on those options. All things considered, this is an excellent deal for us and sets us up nicely for a strong competitive window from 2020 to 2024.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
One more thing to note here... Look who got the scoop for this story. How many stories did he have about who was interested in White Sox players this winter? just sayin.

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

Chicago #WhiteSox sign shortstop Tim Anderson to record six-year, $25 million contract

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...nsion/99441684/

Its been a while so i forgot. He was one that put a lot out there right? Didnt he have the three team deal scoop until it fell apart?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
Wow, could be a steal, could be a mistake. We have no idea.

If he is as good as we think he is, it will be an amazing deal.

I mean it's 25 million over 6 years, I don't see how this can be a mistake at all.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
K not so terrible for TA

"Shortstop Tim Anderson can earn total of $51.5 million if #Whitesox pick up 2 club option years of record deal http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...99441684/"

-nightingale on twitter

His last two years are worth $26.5m tops? Holy s*** this is awesome. Dude could be worth that for one year by the end of this deal.

It depends on how he does. It's still $25 million, same as what they will pay James Shields, and supposedly that was devastating.

If he's good it's great. If he's hitting .240 with a .250 OBP, it won't be good. I like his chances, but there is always the chance he could regress especially if he doesn't become a bit more selective.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
I mean it's 25 million over 6 years, I don't see how this can be a mistake at all.

$4 million a year is nothing in this day and age. Dioner f***ing Navarro made $4 million last year. Brett Lawrie made $4 million last year. Austin Jackson made $5 million last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
It depends on how he does. It's still $25 million, same as what they will pay James Shields, and supposedly that was devastating.

If he's good it's great. If he's hitting .240 with a .250 OBP, it won't be good. I like his chances, but there is always the chance he could regress especially if he doesn't become a bit more selective.

It's not really comparable to James Shields. 2.5 years isn't the same as 6.

Honestly, if he plays great d at short, it still may not even be bad.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Timmy just sold himself really short. But hey, when you have kids sometimes you just have to take the safest path.

The players union was furious when Jon Singleton "sold himself short" and signed a team-friendly deal with HOU. He is stuck struggling in the minors but is $10 million richer. For all of these team-friendly contracts, there are always two sides.

Can't complain about the deal from the White Sox end. Even if he ends up being Beckham v2.0, you still would have paid him a good amount of this money anyway to find out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
It might have cost a little bit more, but I personally would have waited until June to try to lock him with this. See where he's at.

It probably still would have been about the same but I kind of agree. Maybe premature but it's not a lot of money either.