2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
Leo @chisox96 @jimcallisMLB Ronald Acuna or Yoan Moncada? 8 replies 11 retweets 18 likes

Jim Callis‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB 39m39 minutes ago Starting to lean to Acuna. @Braves @WhiteSox

That's how it always goes with these guys. The shiny new guy pounding A ball is more exciting than the guy trying to make the shift to the big leagues. Aside from Mike Trout, everyone has to adjust to the big leagues and that's their lowest value - when they're adjusting.

Jeff Zimmerman‏ @jeffwzimmerman

Jeff Zimmerman Retweeted Mitchel Lichtman

League wide SwStr% since '15 at various fastball velocities

84: 4.8%

85: 4.6%

86: 5.8%

87: 5.6%

88: 5.4%

89: 5.0%

90: 5.7%

91: 6.0%

92: 6.4%

93: 7.0%

94: 7.7%

95: 8.3%

96: 9.1%

97: 9.5%

98: 11.6%

99: 13.0%

100: 13.7%

101: 15.2%

102: 14.3%

103: 19.1%

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
Jeff Zimmerman‏ @jeffwzimmerman

Jeff Zimmerman Retweeted Mitchel Lichtman

League wide SwStr% since '15 at various fastball velocities

84: 4.8%

85: 4.6%

86: 5.8%

87: 5.6%

88: 5.4%

89: 5.0%

90: 5.7%

91: 6.0%

92: 6.4%

93: 7.0%

94: 7.7%

95: 8.3%

96: 9.1%

97: 9.5%

98: 11.6%

99: 13.0%

100: 13.7%

101: 15.2%

102: 14.3%

103: 19.1%

The faster a ball is thrown, the harder it generally is to hit.... hummmmmmm. Got it.

Apologies for formatting here

Chuck Garfien‏Verified account

@ChuckGarfien

3m3 minutes ago

More

Aaron Rowand spent last week working with Luis Robert in the Dominican Republic. He RAVES about him. Sox fans will love this. Rowand on the White Sox Talk Podcast later this afternoon.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)

@ChuckGarfien

3m3 minutes ago

More

Aaron Rowand spent last week working with Luis Robert in the Dominican Republic. He RAVES about him. Sox fans will love this. Rowand on the White Sox Talk Podcast later this afternoon.

What did he working with him on? Which PEDs are the best and undetectable?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)

@ChuckGarfien

3m3 minutes ago

More

[sequels like a teenage girl]

James Fegan‏ @JRFegan 21h21 hours ago Hahn was asked about a Melky reunion: "Nothing's out of the question on any reasonable price. Melky was extremely popular in our clubhouse. A great guy to have around. I don't want to speculate on what his market will be but we haven't closed the doors on any possibility."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
James Fegan‏ @JRFegan 21h21 hours ago Hahn was asked about a Melky reunion: "Nothing's out of the question on any reasonable price. Melky was extremely popular in our clubhouse. A great guy to have around. I don't want to speculate on what his market will be but we haven't closed the doors on any possibility."

Yeah, that's a no

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
Yeah, that's a no

This exact question was brought up in a q and a I was at in September, and I did report he answered it just like he answered here. I would imagine if there was a spot and he was dirt cheap, they would have no problem bringing him back. But they aren't going to pay him even what they paid Holland last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
This exact question was brought up in a q and a I was at in September, and I did report he answered it just like he answered here. I would imagine if there was a spot and he was dirt cheap, they would have no problem bringing him back. But they aren't going to pay him even what they paid Holland last year.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account @BNightengale 2h2 hours ago MLB wants to reach an agreement with the players union and umpires union by mid January on a pitch clock and pace of play procedures

You step out of the box, you get a strike. Really unnecessary to have to adjust your batting gloves after the pitch you just took.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
The White Sox are in the catching market for their up and coming pitching staff. Does Jonathan Lucroy make sense here?

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/930868813423407104

I LOVE the idea of Lucroy. I really, really don't see the downside if he's willing to come here. Personally, I'd even give him 3 years with a 4th year mutual option. Take the annual price down a bit and give yourself a solid veteran game caller, bat, and clubhouse guy. Think the upside is too great to not look into. Think about 2 years ago - ppl were talking $100mm salary for him.

Sign me up. He can either be a nice flip candidate or he can man 100 games behind the plate and 20 more at DH.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)
I LOVE the idea of Lucroy. I really, really don't see the downside if he's willing to come here. Personally, I'd even give him 3 years with a 4th year mutual option. Take the annual price down a bit and give yourself a solid veteran game caller, bat, and clubhouse guy. Think the upside is too great to not look into. Think about 2 years ago - ppl were talking $100mm salary for him.

Sign me up. He can either be a nice flip candidate or he can man 100 games behind the plate and 20 more at DH.

I seriously wonder if Lucroy will want a 3-4 year deal. If he does, then that means he thinks that's the best he can do. This was a dynamite player in 2016 and a weak player in 2017. He's the kind of guy who might look for a 1 year deal as a bounce-back candidate. If he signed a 1 year deal and was closer to his 2014 or 2016 form, then next offseason he hits the market looking for a deal that could be >$15 mil a year. Right now I'm guessing maybe 3/$30 if he wants to sign a 3 year deal?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 09:18 PM)
You step out of the box, you get a strike. Really unnecessary to have to adjust your batting gloves after the pitch you just took.

It's ridiculous superstition of the players. Habit. They do the batting club adjustment. I'll have to see these changes in place to believe them. The umpires won't cooperate. They don't give a s*** about baseball. Their union is so powerful they wink wink at the game by calling the strike zone they want to call not the strike zone in the rulebook. They aren't going to agree to any pitch clock and they'll let the hitters do whatever they want outside the box even though it's so boring. TV needs to step in unless they really want 4 hour games.

It's ridiculous that it take an hour or more to play 3 innings on the average.