2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
Apologies for formatting here

Chuck Garfien‏Verified account

@ChuckGarfien

3m3 minutes ago

More

Aaron Rowand spent last week working with Luis Robert in the Dominican Republic. He RAVES about him. Sox fans will love this. Rowand on the White Sox Talk Podcast later this afternoon.

Is Rowand getting involved with the org somehow? I think that would be a good thing, always saw him as an underrated quality player. He seemed to know the fundamentals of the game very well.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Is Rowand getting involved with the org somehow? I think that would be a good thing, always saw him as an underrated quality player. He seemed to know the fundamentals of the game very well.

On the White Sox Talk podcast they said he was with the organization as a minor league outfield and baserunning instructor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
He's done off season and spring training stuff for a number of years now, IIRC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...1108-story.html

From this article it sounds like he's been doing this since after the 2015 season and he was a spring training guest instructor for us and the Phillies in 2015.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Chicago White Sox @whitesox

1m

The #WhiteSox have acquired minor-league pitcher Thyago Vieira from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for international signing bonus pool money.

Pitched one game for the Mariners this year. Velocity was 99.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Chicago White Sox @whitesox

1m

The #WhiteSox have acquired minor-league pitcher Thyago Vieira from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for international signing bonus pool money.

Wow! That is awesome! He played in the futures games. Can easily reach triple digits. I'm excited to see what our pitching coaches can do with him!

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
Wow! That is awesome! He played in the futures games. Can easily reach triple digits. I'm excited to see what our pitching coaches can do with him!

MLB Pipeline

@MLBPipeline

#WhiteSox acquire 🔥baller Thyago Vieira (80-grade FB) from #Mariners for international signing bonus pool money. Vieira was No. 8 on the M's Top 30 Prospects list: atmlb.com/2kVnSrP

Let's keep it going with the 100+ mph guys! If they don't protect him, I say we go after Nick Burdi on the Twins in the rule 5 draft. He is injured and will probably be out for the year, so you don't even have to waste the spot on the roster this year, just get him ready to be on the big league club in 2019.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Let's keep it going with the 100+ mph guys! If they don't protect him, I say we go after Nick Burdi on the Twins in the rule 5 draft. He is injured and will probably be out for the year, so you don't even have to waste the spot on the roster this year, just get him ready to be on the big league club in 2019.

No thank you. For no other reason than having 2 pitchers who throw 100 mph and who are injured and named Burdi is literally too much for me to process. No. I can't do it.

https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-basebal...hed-salary/amp/

"The White Sox are looking into potential trades for stars Jose Abreu and Avisail Garcia. Though GM Rick Hahn pointed out that the market “wasn’t necessarily kind” to right-handed power a year ago, about 10 teams are seeking a first baseman, and Abreu may turn out to be a cost-efficient alternative following his excellent season. Both Abreu and Garcia are free agents in two more years, so the timetable of the White Sox and the two players don’t necessarily line up."

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)

"The White Sox are looking into potential trades for stars Jose Abreu and Avisail Garcia. Though GM Rick Hahn pointed out that the market “wasn’t necessarily kind” to right-handed power a year ago, about 10 teams are seeking a first baseman, and Abreu may turn out to be a cost-efficient alternative following his excellent season. Both Abreu and Garcia are free agents in two more years, so the timetable of the White Sox and the two players don’t necessarily line up."

Who turned the stove on.

Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 11m11 minutes ago Cooper on last year's relief situation: "We were able to give many, many opportunities to people because of the circumstances we were under, which we traded everybody and their brother and certainly everybody in the bullpen."

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:27 PM)

Now I'm getting mad. This is irresponsible. We're not going to win a pennant without some leftovers. These 2 guys are excellent hitters and ballplayers and both have intangibles a team likes. If Hahn trades these two you may all have your wish, I may be gone as a fan. Done. It's ridiculous to trade these two and think we're going to win one or two or more WS titles with the rebuilt group. Ever hear of a mixture of guys who've been with the team a while and all the new young players? Hahn obviously (if this report is true) loves the fact all the statniks/trade people are praising him daily. Mr Hahn I ask you, what the hell is wrong with Abreu and Avi??? Why the need to trade them for MORE prospects.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Now I'm getting mad. This is irresponsible. We're not going to win a pennant without some leftovers. These 2 guys are excellent hitters and ballplayers and both have intangibles a team likes. If Hahn trades these two you may all have your wish, I may be gone as a fan. Done. It's ridiculous to trade these two and think we're going to win one or two or more WS titles with the rebuilt group. Ever hear of a mixture of guys who've been with the team a while and all the new young players? Hahn obviously (if this report is true) loves the fact all the statniks/trade people are praising him daily. Mr Hahn I ask you, what the hell is wrong with Abreu and Avi??? Why the need to trade them for MORE prospects.

You weren't mad before? Lololol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)

Good riddance then. Enjoy Kansas City. Its a rebuild. There are no sacred cows.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)

I was on the fence about trading them before but now I'm definitely for trading them!

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Good riddance then. Enjoy Kansas City. Its a rebuild. There are no sacred cows.

I said people would be thrilled if I leave. I'm disgusted by the thought of trading virtually EVERYBODY who is decent and not a pitcher. Ridiculous. Abreu and Avi will not be old and decrepit when we are contending again. So trade them and you get 3 more prospects for Abreu (one great one on paper; two decent ones) and you get 2 more good prospects for Avi. Probably one very good and one good. Why? Give me one good reason we need 5 more minor league prospects of which 3 would probably be good but not as good as Avi/Abreu and certainly not leaders like those 2!!!

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)
I was on the fence about trading them before but now I'm definitely for trading them!

Again, no need to have the requisite posts, great, trade them so we get rid of Greg.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)

Take your daily prescribed chill pill and then stack another two on top of it... if they trade either of these guys it's going to be for a massive haul. Considering what it'd likely take for us to move them - like another poster mentioned - the likelihood isn't very high at all.

Feeling better yet, young grasshoppa?

QUOTE (Quin @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Abreu as the elder statesman/mentor makes perfect sense.

Also, yeah, extensions.

I think I would actually really like to extend both. Then in a couple years when the kids are ready to move into their OF spots, move Avi to 1B and Abreu to DH.