2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
His teammates sure loved the guy, which means something.

Why would they bring him back? Makes absolutely no sense with all these solid prospects and some of the current guys needing at bats. Could somebody answer why you would accept Melky coming back when we have plenty of outfielders who could get MLB at bats in a season where we are tanking again?

All you people who don't want to spend any money at all. Why the hell would you give Melky a contract that would keep him in Chicago 2-3 more years. I'd love to hear from anybody who thinks this is a good idea.

Now if you say you want Melky so we can keep losing ... uh, we have plenty of hitters in the minors who could play the outifield next year to help us keep losing. I'm totally baffled and mad when I think about this Melky thing. New age Sox fans who worship the advanced stats just floor me.

Sorry for my anger but Melky coming back makes NO sense to me at all. It makes no sense if you want to win; it makes no sense if you want to tank some more.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
Why would they bring him back? Makes absolutely no sense with all these solid prospects and some of the current guys needing at bats. Could somebody answer why you would accept Melky coming back when we have plenty of outfielders who could get MLB at bats in a season where we are tanking again?

All you people who don't want to spend any money at all. Why the hell would you give Melky a contract that would keep him in Chicago 2-3 more years. I'd love to hear from anybody who thinks this is a good idea.

Now if you say you want Melky so we can keep losing ... uh, we have plenty of hitters in the minors who could play the outifield next year to help us keep losing. I'm totally baffled and mad when I think about this Melky thing. New age Sox fans who worship the advanced stats just floor me.

Sorry for my anger but Melky coming back makes NO sense to me at all. It makes no sense if you want to win; it makes no sense if you want to tank some more.

You take things too literally. DA was paraphrasing not reporting exact quotes from Hahn. It's possible we bring Melky back in GM speak is translated to this: It's also possible the world ends tomorrow.or if he signs for really cheap .

As to Melky, a Melky fan wanted him back. I was anticipating Hahn shutting the door, but he did say it was possible, mentioned his popularity and thought he could be a good guy for young players to learn from, even though he later said it may not be a fit. I think it would require a real team friendly deal. If Melky got a legit offer elsewhere, they aren't going to match it from the sounds of it.

The Sox will get a boon to their September attendance next year as the Cubs visit Sept 21-23.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
As to Melky, a Melky fan wanted him back. I was anticipating Hahn shutting the door, but he did say it was possible, mentioned his popularity and thought he could be a good guy for young players to learn from, even though he later said it may not be a fit. I think it would require a real team friendly deal. If Melky got a legit offer elsewhere, they aren't going to match it from the sounds of it.

The Sox will get a boon to their September attendance next year as the Cubs visit Sept 21-23.

Where do you see this? Not doubting it, just trying to find the schedule myself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 21h21 hours ago Jose Abreu needs 2 RBI to record 100-plus RBI in his first 4-plus seasons. The others: Al Simmons, Albert Pujols, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio

Getting to 100 RBIs would also make him one of 4 players to have 100+ RBI and 25+ HR in his first four seasons (DiMaggo, Williams, Pujols)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 34m34 minutes ago Royals at White Sox Fri: Hammel (5.05) v Lopez (4.84) 7:10 Sat: Duffy (3.71) v Covey (8.18) 6:10 Sun: Gaviglio (4.35) v Giolito (2.58) 1:10

Sounds like a battle for Chicago Heights :P (if you know the south suburbs)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 10h10 hours ago It had been 1,836 days since Chris Volstad's last MLB win, also at the Houston Astros against tonight's starter Dallas Keuchel.

Why didn't the advanced metrics people know this ahead of time. They should just have started Volstad./green :D

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 10h10 hours ago It had been 1,836 days since Chris Volstad's last MLB win, also at the Houston Astros against tonight's starter Dallas Keuchel.

Volstad showed us some good stuff last night. I am sure he gets another relief outing or two to show if he can be consistent and get a spot with the team in 2018

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
Volstad showed us some good stuff last night. I am sure he gets another relief outing or two to show if he can be consistent and get a spot with the team in 2018

I don't say this often, but no. Chris Volstad has pretty much won the lottery to be on a major league roster right now. He is awful and will not be on the White Sox roster in 2018.