2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
Pitcher takes too long to deliver a pitch or calls time too often and they get a ball. Pitch clock.

Right but the pitcher can wait 10 seconds or 20 or 11 or 8. The hitter has no input thus the pitcher gets to control the pace and rhythm of the game.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/935583767376384000

Former major leaguer Everett Teaford, a pro scout for Houston since the beginning of 2016, has left the Astros for a position with the White Sox on their player development staff.

I would assume he and Getz are friends and played with each other in the KC years.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
IMG_5860.jpg

Fixed

Kyle Glaser‏Verified account

@KyleAGlaser

Following Following @KyleAGlaser

More

Cashman mentions Sale deal last year, that Severino, Sanchez, Bird were among names White Sox floated as the price.

1:47 PM - 11 Dec 2017

Not really news or anything but Austin Jackson is doing an AMA on r/baseball and had this to say about his time with the 2016 Sox. Someone asked him about the clubhouse's reaction to the Sale jersey cutting.

"I absolutely loved my time in Chicago. One of the best organizations I've played with. Enjoyed the clubhouse, the team was a really close-knit team.

As far as the Sale incident - I actually wasn't there for that, I had surgery for a torn MCL. But when I went back, everybody seemed to be laughing about it. I don't think anybody took it to heart."

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/...winter/dr5iizy/

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
Not really news or anything but Austin Jackson is doing an AMA on r/baseball and had this to say about his time with the 2016 Sox. Someone asked him about the clubhouse's reaction to the Sale jersey cutting.

"I absolutely loved my time in Chicago. One of the best organizations I've played with. Enjoyed the clubhouse, the team was a really close-knit team.

As far as the Sale incident - I actually wasn't there for that, I had surgery for a torn MCL. But when I went back, everybody seemed to be laughing about it. I don't think anybody took it to heart."

Man, that team was really fun for a month.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)

I still can't believe fans got worked up about that. Sale was hated by many on here for some reason. I applaud him. He told the front office he wouldn't pitch in those horrifically uncomfortable uniforms. Rather than risk blowing out his arm while pitching in jerseys that he hated and put him in a rotten mood much less uncomfortable mood, he took the scissors to them. Big deal. He had to pay for them and got fined and he prevented his teammates from wearing those monstrocities. Why wouldn't the team laugh about it? Why would anybody take the front office's position on this? Sale was a star and stars can be moody.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 11:13 PM)
I still can't believe fans got worked up about that. Sale was hated by many on here for some reason. I applaud him. He told the front office he wouldn't pitch in those horrifically uncomfortable uniforms. Rather than risk blowing out his arm while pitching in jerseys that he hated and put him in a rotten mood much less uncomfortable mood, he took the scissors to them. Big deal. He had to pay for them and got fined and he prevented his teammates from wearing those monstrocities. Why wouldn't the team laugh about it? Why would anybody take the front office's position on this? Sale was a star and stars can be moody.

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_81.htm

I do not see "destroying company property" mentioned anywhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
Chuck Garfien‏Verified account @ChuckGarfien 50m50 minutes ago Peter Gammons is a big fan of Carson Fulmer. He actually made a comparison to Max Scherzer. Plus, Rick Renteria and Machado/Yelich talk. Podcast: http://bit.ly/2yjzRkR

To be fair, Gammons compared Fulmer to Scherzer mentally, i.e., both extremely intelligent individuals who can figure out how to overcome mechanical quirks. Gammons was not implying (and explicitly said so), that Fulmer had Scherzer's stuff.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
To be fair, Gammons compared Fulmer to Scherzer mentally, i.e., both extremely intelligent individuals who can figure out how to overcome mechanical quirks. Gammons was not implying (and explicitly said so), that Fulmer had Scherzer's stuff.

If he has some ability to overcome mechanical quirks that could really help him as his mechanics were pretty weird the second we drafted him. Worth thinking that "inconsistency" has been one of the things contributing to his struggles, both from his part and from where he's been pitching at.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)

If Hahn can convince Duquette that Fulmer will be anything like Scherzer, maybe we'll see the dreaded 72 hour window.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_81.htm

I do not see "destroying company property" mentioned anywhere.

These are sports athletes. Where's the part of that article talking about the higher ups in the company refusing to listen to the concerns of one of its most important employees? It goes both ways. Sale started out by merely voicing his concerns about the uniforms. The team could have used them on a day he wasn't scheduled to pitch and solved the conflict. Sure he committed a no-no in destroying the uniforms. The team had a right to have him arrested I guess, but again, this is Sale we're talking here. If a company's top employee doesn't want to do something it might be wise to listen to said employee especially in sports.

Edited by greg775