GDT Twinkies @ Sox

Polar Bear

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
They're probably going to be forced to replace May first...pretty clear he's not ready and getting thrown to the wolves.

If Raburn comes up and replaces him, who starts in CF and who is the backup? I know you're not suggesting Raburn but if they really wanted to call him up soon is the scenario I'm giving.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 10:25 PM)
And looking just as brutal in the field and regarding his baseball sense.

Mark

Who cares? Three mill a year ... he's already earned that even if he goes 0-fer the rest of the year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
If Raburn comes up and replaces him, who starts in CF and who is the backup? I know you're not suggesting Raburn but if they really wanted to call him up soon is the scenario I'm giving.

Let Avi play CF. He can't be any worse there than he is in RF and he may actually be better. Some players find it easier to play CF than a corner OF spot. Plus his bat plays better in CF than in RF.

I was at the game and where they play Maurer is incredible. If he hit one into the RF corner, he would have an easy triple. Avi was at least 120 feet off the line maybe 150 feet. May was in LC. Maurer hit one pretty much right at him where had they been playing straight up probably is a double unless the traded for Buxton.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
Let Avi play CF. He can't be any worse there than he is in RF and he may actually be better. Some players find it easier to play CF than a corner OF spot. Plus his bat plays better in CF than in RF.

Didn't the Tigers have him in CF?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
They're probably going to be forced to replace May first...pretty clear he's not ready and getting thrown to the wolves.

May looks over-matched and is likely on a relatively short leash. IMO, Leury Garcia should start in CF until Tilson comes up or the Sox come up with another solution in Center.

I know May hasn't had too many chances, but, IMO, he looks like he doesn't have a clue at the plate. Maybe another week of two and maybe he will prove us wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
Who cares? Three mill a year ... he's already earned that even if he goes 0-fer the rest of the year.

I assume you are being sarcastic because if you aren't....well that would give one pause for thought.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again. Avi will get hot offensively for a week or two and then...it's look out below.

Inconsistent offense, brutal defense, a bad baseball IQ...that doesn't bode well.

Let's put it this way, would another team be interested in him if the Sox put him up for trade? (silence)

There you go.

Mark

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
I was at the game and where they play Maurer is incredible. If he hit one into the RF corner, he would have an easy triple. Avi was at least 120 feet off the line maybe 150 feet. May was in LC. Maurer hit one pretty much right at him where had they been playing straight up probably is a double unless the traded for Buxton.

One thing the Sox don't get enough credit for is their many defensive shifts and the relative execution rate of the shifts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 01:18 AM)

All the baseball metrics have made it so hard on hitters. Everybody knows where the guy is going to hit the ball with all these shifts. If you are a lefty slugger (not Mauer of course he's over the hill) for instance and there are four infielders playing you to pull you just have to bunt to the left side and take the single. You just have to. Why hit it right into the shift? Your only hope with these shifts is to hit it off the wall or over the fence.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 9, 2017 -> 03:37 AM)
I assume you are being sarcastic because if you aren't....well that would give one pause for thought.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again. Avi will get hot offensively for a week or two and then...it's look out below.

Inconsistent offense, brutal defense, a bad baseball IQ...that doesn't bode well.

Let's put it this way, would another team be interested in him if the Sox put him up for trade? (silence)

There you go.

Mark

Yeah partly sarcastic, but 3 mill a year is nothing. I do respect your knowledge of the game obviously so I won't be getting in arguments with you. I feel kinda sorry for Avi cause he's 'close' to not being worthless IMO. Probably will never get over that hurdle but he is 'close' to being big league quality. I mean some guys (Brian Anderson, May, guys like that) are a different kind of bad than Avi.