flavum

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Broadcast Information

Announcers: Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone (television), Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson (radio)

Broadcast time:

Television: 6:00 PM Central / 7:00 PM Eastern *

Radio: 5:35 PM Central

8 over-the-air TV stations:

Chicago WGN-TV, Channel 9 (Independent)

South Bend WMYS-LD, Channel 69 (my network TV) *

Indianapolis WNDY-TV Marion, IN, Channel 23 (my network TV) *

Springfield, IL / Decatur / Champaign WBUI Decatur, Channel 23-2 (this TV)

Peoria / Bloomington, IL WAOE Peoria, Channel 59 (my network TV)

Rockford WIFR Freeport, Channel 23-3 (Justice Network)

Quad Cities WQAD-TV Moline, Channel 8-3 (my network TV)

Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids, Channel 9-3 (Antenna TV)

Radio:

Chicago AM 890 WLS / FM HD 94.7 WLS-FM-HD2 (using HD capable radios)

And the 'WLS White Sox Radio Network' http://mlb.mlb.com/cws/schedule/radio_affiliates.jsp

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
So this is probably their best lineup right now, right?

Saladino

Cabrera

A. Garcia

Abreu

Davidson

Frazier

Narvaez

Anderson

L. Garcia

Most likely yah. Would look much better W Bourjos in there. Sucks we don't have anyone else we can throw out there in CF. May needs to go back to AAA. Engel has been awful in AAA.

Tilson is not expected back til June sometime, right?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Most likely yah. Would look much better W Bourjos in there. Sucks we don't have anyone else we can throw out there in CF. May needs to go back to AAA. Engel has been awful in AAA.

Tilson is not expected back til June sometime, right?

Why? L. Garcia is outhitting him this season thus far.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Why? L. Garcia is outhitting him this season thus far.

Because he has a better bat than than Leury (2017 SSS be damned) and May.

I was all for giving May a shot at CF, so I'm not mad about the move or anything. But its obvious he has no business in the big leagues, and probably never will.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

I was all for giving May a shot at CF, so I'm not mad about the move or anything. But its obvious he has no business in the big leagues, and probably never will.

May can defend a major league CF today. His bat wasn't even AAA ready last year. It doesn't look much better in a small sample size this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
May can defend a major league CF today. His bat wasn't even AAA ready last year. It doesn't look much better in a small sample size this year.

Yep, we're in agreement. It's a shame we don't have anything remotely interesting to try instead until Tilson is healthy.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

I'm not sure Bourjos has a better bat than Garcia at this point in their careers. Garcia put up decent offensive numbers in AAA over the last two seasons while Bourjos has been well below average offensively since he left LAA in 2013. I'd give Garcia a slight advantage due to his trend line seemingly pointing up while Bourjos' is pointed down. Given that Garcia is also 4 years younger I don't see this trend reversing itself any time soon.

Either way, I believe they should start working the other Garcia (Willy) in CF in AAA because his bat represents the biggest upside of anyone currently in AA or AAA that is capable of playing CF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)

I think this is why May is still on the team. Until Tilson comes back, all the Sox have to play CF is Leury, May and Engel. That's pretty slim pickin's to choose from.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Yep, we're in agreement. It's a shame we don't have anything remotely interesting to try instead until Tilson is healthy.

In general, that is the state of our position players in the minors. Either we want to way because of service time considerations, or they just aren't very good.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
I think this is why May is still on the team. Until Tilson comes back, all the Sox have to play CF is Leury, May and Engel. That's pretty slim pickin's to choose from.

Hopefully the kid's confident, and this doesn't hurt his development long term

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
I'm not sure Bourjos has a better bat than Garcia at this point in their careers. Garcia put up decent offensive numbers in AAA over the last two seasons while Bourjos has been well below average offensively since he left LAA in 2013. I'd give Garcia a slight advantage due to his trend line seemingly pointing up while Bourjos' is pointed down. Given that Garcia is also 4 years younger I don't see this trend reversing itself any time soon.

Either way, I believe they should start working the other Garcia (Willy) in CF in AAA because his bat represents the biggest upside of anyone currently in AA or AAA that is capable of playing CF.

How is Willy capable of playing CF? His lack of speed won't play well in CF and the scouting reports seem to say Willy is a corner OF. I wouldn't count on seeing Willy in CF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
How is Willy capable of playing CF? His lack of speed won't play well in CF and the scouting reports seem to say Willy is a corner OF. I wouldn't count on seeing Willy in CF.

After watching him play LF yesterday, putting him in CF could be a comedy show.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)

It sucks that one of Frazier and Melky couldn't be moved in the off-season (heck, preferably both). Would love for Davidson and W. Garcia to be getting everyday at bats between 3B/LF and DH.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)

Played it quite a bit two years ago. Not saying he's going to be a plus defender out there but if he's even not awful his bat appears to play better than any of the other current options.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Hopefully the kid's confident, and this doesn't hurt his development long term

Yeah, I think May's confidence will be fine. I thought he did very well in his recovery from the concussion a few years ago so he seems resilient. I'm hoping at some point he can hit well enough to be the team's fourth OF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)

Seriously. I do not want to see an OF defense that has Melky in LF, Willy in CF and Avi in RF. The three stooges.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Played it quite a bit two years ago. Not saying he's going to be a plus defender out there but if he's even not awful his bat appears to play better than any of the other current options.

I guess it depends on what you feel is more important. For me, I'd rather have May's defense in CF than Willy's bat. Willy is the better hitter but May is the better defender.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
Seriously. I do not want to see an OF defense that has Melky in LF, Willy in CF and Avi in RF. The three stooges.

I guess it depends on what you feel is more important. For me, I'd rather have May's defense in CF than Willy's bat. Willy is the better hitter but May is the better defender.

I do agree with that. Help out the pitchers by having his defense in CF. Like I said above, I just checked out the high minors and there is no one deserving of that playing time anyway.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)

I found it intriguing that Garcia's Range Factor in CF two years ago was similar to May's Range Factor in CF last year. Maybe Willy has lost a step in the past two years? Would seem odd though for someone that's only 24. Either way, I don't see May as a great defender. If they want all defense and no offense, Engel is a better option than May.