BA top 100 update

maxjusttyped

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ May 11, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
So the Sox are the baseball version of the Sixers now? Lol I sure would like to see fans chanting trust the process every time Moncada comes up to bat.

#MoncadaTheProcess

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
First time poster from Switzerland. How does the Sox farm system stack up now? Is it top 2 or 3?

Sox four farm teams are a collective 20 games under .500. Not hardly Top 2 or 3. Moncada covers a multitude of sins, however.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 11, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)
Sox four farm teams are a collective 20 games under .500. Not hardly Top 2 or 3. Moncada covers a multitude of sins, however.

Well this is officially the worst logic I've ever seen used to determine the strength of a minor league system.

The Sox system is probably top 5, very top heavy with limited depth.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
Well this is officially the worst logic I've ever seen used to determine the strength of a minor league system.

Same guy who said we're a bottom 10 farm system a few weeks back. So there's that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)

Thank you. You saved me a post.

I would say Kopech is our best pitching prospect, followed by Lopez, Fulmer, then Giolito. Fulmer has outpitched Lopez this year at the same level to be certain, but Lopez has such great stuff that I see him as the better prospect even if I would pick Fulmer if I had to win a game tomorrow.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 12, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I would say Kopech is our best pitching prospect, followed by Lopez, Fulmer, then Giolito. Fulmer has outpitched Lopez this year at the same level to be certain, but Lopez has such great stuff that I see him as the better prospect even if I would pick Fulmer if I had to win a game tomorrow.

I'd rank them:

Kopech

Lopez

Fulmer

Giolito

Dunning

Hansen

Adams

As far as starters are concerned

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
Same guy who said we're a bottom 10 farm system a few weeks back. So there's that.

I think you are wrong, Rowand. I might have said something like that before the two off season trades, certainly not since then.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/upda...ts-chat-may-11/

Dom (Chicago): Lucas Giolito had quite a fall in the rankings. In BA's view, does he now have a lower ceiling moving forward?

Kyle Glaser: We surveyed a lot of scouts on this and have yet to find anyone that gives him better than a “50” overall grade, which is a back-end starter/7th inning reliever. Most go a tick lower and grade him a 45, which is a pure No. 5/middle relief grade. So yes, his ceiling is undeniably lower at this point with what he is showing.

If this is the case, why rank him?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
From the same chat, 95 pct chance Giolito is a reliever according to scouts. What a fall for him

Yikes. He still has time to figure it out. The Sox are just going to keep tinkering with him down in AAA until he finds something.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 12, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
fathom who would you root for if Gio and Adams fought to the death? ;)

They both would die cause god knows they can't prevent getting hit hard by others. Giolito would get beat up but everyone would make excuses for him that he's just working on his fighting technique.

To be fair, I actually really like Giolito as a person.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)
They both would die cause god knows they can't prevent getting hit hard by others. Giolito would get beat up but everyone would make excuses for him that he's just working on his fighting technique.

To be fair, I actually really like Giolito as a person.

Well played sir. Well played.

EDIT: I like your first post better before the edit. ;)

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/upda...ts-chat-may-11/

If this is the case, why rank him?

Too soon to write off Giolito based off a bad first 6 weeks. I don't think he will ever become a frontline starter, but he's still very young and does have upside

I think the Yankees, Braves and Astros have a better farm system overall than we do. The White Sox are likely #4 or 5 overall right now.

Signing Robert and having a good draft could go a long way to improving that though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 12, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
Too soon to write off Giolito based off a bad first 6 weeks. I don't think he will ever become a frontline starter, but he's still very young and does have upside

I think the Yankees, Braves and Astros have a better farm system overall than we do. The White Sox are likely #4 or 5 overall right now.

Signing Robert and having a good draft could go a long way to improving that though

Even with Robert, the system is going to fall quite a bit due to Moncada, Lopez, Fulmer, & Burdi getting called up. Hahn will need to add some serious talent at the deadline if he wants to keep our top 5 ranking.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
From the same chat, 95 pct chance Giolito is a reliever according to scouts. What a fall for him

What were they saying about Fulmer last year? I would guess the same. He looks to be turning it around this season.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 12, 2017 -> 11:37 PM)
Adams is way too hittable to move up higher than AA. And no Burdi?

Burdi is being developed solely as a reminder, which is why I left him off the list. I think he can be a successful set up or potential closer.

Adams has been hittable, but he's still pretty young for the AA level at 21. He could turn into a back end starter?

Our farm pretty desperately needs more bats with potential