Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
Wednesday: Phillies won, Sox won, Giants won, Reds lost

39 days left

Team (Games left) - Sox Magic Number to have higher pick:

1. Phillies(37) - 41

2. White Sox (37)

3. Giants(33) - 34

4. Reds(35) - 34

Woulda been a great game to lose tonight. :(

Since July 1st the Sox have "gained" 5.5 games on the Phillies and the Giants for the 1st overall pick.

Sox 14-31 (0.311)

Phillies 20-26 (0.435)

SF 20-26 (0.435)

37 games remaining for the Sox. 24 games against the Twins, Indians, KC, Astros, and Angels. 13 games against the Tigers, Giants, & Rays.

37 games remaining for the Phillies. 14 games against the Cubs, Nationals, and Dodgers. 23 games against the Marlins, Mets, Braves, A's.

33 games remaining for the Giants. 24 games against the Dodgers, Rockies, DBacks, and Cards. 9 games against the Padres & Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Phillies down 1-0 early. Giants off today.

If the Sox pick anything other than 2nd, I'll be surprised.

The Tigers are starting to creep up on the Sox and they have a bunch of games left. The Sox need a good old fashioned 7 or 8 game losing streak right about now :P

Obviously a lot of time between now and the 2018 draft, but it sorta sucks that it appears the top 3 talents are all pitchers (Singer, McClanahan and Mize). We need a generational offensive talent with this pick.

Makes me a little less concerned about getting the #1 pick (top 3 is nearly inevitable). I'd rather see some serious progress from the young guys on the roster lead to a few more wins.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Obviously a lot of time between now and the 2018 draft, but it sorta sucks that it appears the top 3 talents are all pitchers (Singer, McClanahan and Mize). We need a generational offensive talent with this pick.

Makes me a little less concerned about getting the #1 pick (top 3 is nearly inevitable). I'd rather see some serious progress from the young guys on the roster lead to a few more wins.

Wrong. Winning 5 or so more games in a lost season does nothing. If the consensus BPA is a pitcher when our pick comes up then so be it. You could always potentially trade for said offensive talent if you draft correctly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
Wrong. Winning 5 or so more games in a lost season does nothing. If the consensus BPA is a pitcher when our pick comes up then so be it. You could always potentially trade for said offensive talent if you draft correctly.

The wins don't do anything, but it would be nice for the future to see Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, Anderson, Rodon, etc. do well.

Here's hoping our future core plays well but our veteran starters and garbage bullpen blow a lot of games....

You want the young players to succeed. If the team is winning because Giolito, Rodon and Lopez are putting up quality starts ... Moncada and Anderson are going off, etc., etc. ... well, then that's a great thing.

Now, if it's Holland, Shields and MiGo throwing consecutive shutouts while the other team is balking home runs, well, yeah that doesn't accomplish much.

But I'd much rather see the young guys come up, get some successful ABs and innings at the big-league level and bring some confidence with them into spring training then worry about whether the team is drafting at No. 2 or No. 3. That said, the extra bonus/slot money would be nice.

Edited by FLsouthsider

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
The wins don't do anything, but it would be nice for the future to see Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, Anderson, Rodon, etc. do well.

Here's hoping our future core plays well but our veteran starters and garbage bullpen blow a lot of games....

This. Pretty simple concept really.

I want Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Moncada, Delmonico, Avi, Abreu, Anderson, etc to do well. The bullpen can and will be awful, but like said, I'd rather pick number #3 than all those guys suck nuts and pick #1. Especially when there is no clear cut #1 at the moment. What will happen will happen.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 09:49 PM)
This. Pretty simple concept really.

I want Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Moncada, Delmonico, Avi, Abreu, Anderson, etc to do well. The bullpen can and will be awful, but like said, I'd rather pick number #3 than all those guys suck nuts and pick #1. Especially when there is no clear cut #1 at the moment. What will happen will happen.

So then games like tonight's are a total waste?

Fangraphs projection:

1. Phillies 62-100

2. White Sox 64-98

3. Giants 68-94

4. Reds 69-93

I agree with 64-98 for the Sox. They've played a lot better recently.

Final 11 series:

vs Det 1-2

at Min 1-2

vs TB 1-2

vs Cle 1-3

vs SF 2-1

at KC 1-2

at Det 2-2

at Hou 1-2

vs KC 1-2

vs LAA 2-2

at Cle 1-2

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Fangraphs projection:

1. Phillies 62-100

2. White Sox 64-98

3. Giants 68-94

4. Reds 69-93

I agree with 64-98 for the Sox. They've played a lot better recently.

Final 11 series:

vs Det 1-2

at Min 1-2

vs TB 1-2

vs Cle 1-3

vs SF 2-1

at KC 1-2

at Det 2-2

at Hou 1-2

vs KC 1-2

vs LAA 2-2

at Cle 1-2

They're playing some teams in the hunt, so the loses could pile up.

Like I said a week or two ago, this cupcake schedule doesn't work well with getting a top 2 pick. The 9th pick currently belongs to Atlanta and they're only 5.5 games of the Sox. On the flipside, when you get dominant performances from future guys like Lucas Giolito, it's hard to complain.