Draft Prospect Preview: Jordon Adell

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
This is exactly the type of player the White Sox have trouble developing.

And if they continue to not be able to develop players like this then the rebuild will be deemed a failure and they have far bigger problems anyway.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
This is exactly the type of player the White Sox have trouble developing.

I kind of take exception to this. We shouldn't rule out all future athletic players because of Jared Mitchell.

We have also failed with a high intangible line drive hitting short stop in Gordon Beckham.

We just developed a raw, athletic shortstop in Tim Anderson.

We were bad at developing, period. But you won't get good by constantly relying on acquiring the high value prospects like Robert/Moncada who are very athletic, powerful prospects with some swing and miss.

I would love another advanced approach college hitter, but we can't just draft a bunch of corner outfield/1b 15 home run types.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
I kind of take exception to this. We shouldn't rule out all future athletic players because of Jared Mitchell.

Jared Mitchell, Courtney Hawkins, Keenyn Walker...

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
Jared Mitchell, Courtney Hawkins, Keenyn Walker...

Everyone knows those guys and what they did in the Sox system. And if those past failures dictate that the Sox never draft a guy with plus tools again, well, the team may never have a superstar level player. Are you mad they signed Robert? Because if your outlook is what it seems, you must see that as a total waste of money that they could have used to sign someone like, Matt Holliday or some other completely mundane but predicable player.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)

We have also failed with a high intangible line drive hitting short stop in Gordon Beckham.

We were bad at developing, period. But you won't get good by constantly relying on acquiring the high value prospects like Robert/Moncada who are very athletic, powerful prospects with some swing and miss.

I would love another advanced approach college hitter, but we can't just draft a bunch of corner outfield/1b 15 home run types.

And let's not forget the history here. Mitchell was on a good track until he destroyed his ankle. He was never the same after that.

While it is undoubtedly true that the Sox have struggled to develop hitters with raw offensive skills, you cannot simply cut off that part of the talent pool. The answer is to improve the development staff and methods, and guess what? They've made big changes in those areas the past couple years. And you have guys like Adam Engel and Tim Anderson starting to prove it wrong already.

Electing to not draft hitters on the raw side, if they are the best available talent, is not a recipe for success in any case.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 31, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
The Sox have entirely new scouting and player development staffs.

Adell is a classic boom or bust prospect. Significant chance that he flames out and doesn't got well enough to reach the majors or become a regular, but a ton of teams could be looking back with regret if they pass on him and he becomes a star.

I see the Sox preferring a college player in the first round

QUOTE (bmags @ May 31, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)

Did they really develope him? Anderson is an ok player because he is a shortstop but his plate discipline and contact is still not good.

I think nobody has something against athletic players the problem is raw players with flaws. Btw the cubs weren't great at developing those players either but they got a lot of very polished players.

Btw im not totally against addell he has some plate discipline issues but the swing itself is pretty solid.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Did they really develope him? Anderson is an ok player because he is a shortstop but his plate discipline and contact is still not good.

I think nobody has something against athletic players the problem is raw players with flaws. Btw the cubs weren't great at developing those players either but they got a lot of very polished players.

Btw im not totally against addell he has some plate discipline issues but the swing itself is pretty solid.

Tim Anderson was extremely raw when the White Sox got ahold of him. Today is raw. He was a terrible defensive SS when they drafted him. Many wondered if he could stick at SS, and if he would be a 2B or an OF when all was said and done. The fact that he is a productive major leaguer is a HUGE win for the White Sox drafting and development team.

Luis Robert is going to test all these development theories (what has changed, if anything) as it pertains to the Sox front office, minor league ops and scouting/talent evaluation.

I consider myself a great hitter, but my principal tool is my legs. I've liked to run since I was a kid. I like to steal bases and cover a lot of ground in the outfield. Center field is my favorite position to play. I can play the three positions in the outfield, but center field is where I feel most comfortable.

As a batter, I considered myself both a power hitter and contact hitter. I think after a full year playing in the Minors, I will be ready to help the White Sox. I have a winning mentality.

An excerpt from the full interview that's in the long/posted at top Robert thread.