White Sox pick 3B Jake Burger at #11

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Yes but for my purposes it fell off of a cliff after the top 9. Not crazy about Pavin Smith, but every other pick I'd have been drooling. Just needed one of htose teams to reach for a college pitcher or savings, none did. With the smaller pools perhaps it's over.

This was not a draft with tons of impact talent beyond the top 8 or so picks (that we can tell right now). Sometimes it's best to grab a player you think can end up being a solid ballplayer instead of reaching for upside that may not be there.

If Burger ends up being a decent mlb third baseman I think that is a very solid pick outside the top ten.

The benefit of fully committing to tanking should be very apparent though. We need to lose a ton more games to position ourselves for a top three draft pick and the larger bonus pool that comes along with it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)
I'm fine with the pick considering how the draft played out.

Me too...both of them. Rather go with the booming bats that the "toolsy" guys who never seem to pan out.

Heard someone say we have our Schwarber now....

As much as I like guys like Beck and Adell, they could very easily bust. HS hitters like that bust all the time. While we felt like the draft fell off substantially, we really have no idea how it pans out. Im excited about Burger, the dude isn't the fanciest or fastest or flashiest, but his numbers speak for themself.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)
I'm fine with the pick considering how the draft played out.

That's the key. All of the players who could've fallen to the White Sox that were superior talents didn't, so it came down to choosing between Burger, White, Kendall, or Bukauskas. Personally I'd've gone with White because I like the athleticism more, but I can't really complain about Burger under the circumstances. At least they avoided the bad choices of Kendall and Bukauskas.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
That's the key. All of the players who could've fallen to the White Sox that were superior talents didn't, so it came down to choosing between Burger, White, Kendall, or Bukauskas. Personally I'd've gone with White because I like the athleticism more, but I can't really complain about Burger under the circumstances. At least they avoided the bad choices of Kendall and Bukauskas.

Just want to add that the thing I really didn't like about White was I read a lot about concern about swing and miss from him. And the idea of a non power guy with swing and miss that might play 1b was not that thrilling. He will be a very interesting player to follow though.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah Hostetler really has a "type". Hopefully they grab some toolsy prep guys in rounds 3-7 to fill in the lower levels of the system. Guys like Curbelo.

He surely does but honestly with how the sox develop pitching I'm ok moving in a different direction over this draft and last to see if we get better results that aren't just tools orientated from a position side.

having said all that I think for a hot take on Burger's good/better/best scenario we're looking at Ty Wigginton | Todd Frazier | Troy Glaus

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 06:04 AM)

Hostetler likes his chances at 3B. If this organization has truly improved with prospects getting better defensively (Collins looks great this year) then I like the kid's chances of staying there. I love Burger as a hitter. If he stays at 3B (which he probably will) he's a very, very good prospect. And with the Sheets selection, the Sox feel that way about his future there too.

They have also improved Tim Anderson a ton, even with the work he still needs to do.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
He surely does but honestly with how the sox develop pitching I'm ok moving in a different direction over this draft and last to see if we get better results that aren't just tools orientated from a position side.

having said all that I think for a hot take on Burger's good/better/best scenario we're looking at Ty Wigginton | Todd Frazier | Troy Glaus

Those are reasonable optimistic scenarios.

Troy Glaus would be an absolute best case I think, as he was a stud. If Burger can keep himself in shape and play average defense at third base I think his bat and approach will be solid enough to produce for us down the line. He will likely needs 2-3 seasons in the minors, but he's a potential starter at 3B for us in the future.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Those are reasonable optimistic scenarios.

Troy Glaus would be an absolute best case I think, as he was a stud. If Burger can keep himself in shape and play average defense at third base I think his bat and approach will be solid enough to produce for us down the line. He will likely needs 2-3 seasons in the minors, but he's a potential starter at 3B for us in the future.

If we get Todd Frazier out of Burger, that is a pretty good win for the Sox. If we get Troy Glaus, buy Hostetler a drink or something, because that is a home run of a pick.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:43 AM)
Now for some good video...

I didn't find any highlight reels on Youtube, but I went through Missouri St. game highlights and copied the URL at the times when there is a #BurgerBomb.

(Absolute monster shot out of the entire complex, over the scoreboard. 450+)

(Wall scraper, but still a grand slam)

(I think it landed in a cemetery)

And hey look, good defense too!

(Nice back pick on a tough hop)

(Showing surprisingly quick hands/transfer on chopper)

Thank you.

I can't figure out why anyone would worry about Matt Davidson as having any sort of future @ 3b when complaining about this pick.

Sure, Davidson's enjoying what will probably be his "career year." But, I also think as I typed this, he just struck out. Again.

His 40% k rate and sub-.300 OBP means he's a placeholder, at best. I think Hostetler & Hahn know this, I that could be one reason why Burger was the pick here.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
I can't figure out why anyone would worry about Matt Davidson as having any sort of future @ 3b when complaining about this pick.

Sure, Davidson's enjoying what will probably be his "career year." But, I also think as I typed this, he just struck out. Again.

His 40% k rate and sub-.300 OBP means he's a placeholder, at best. I think Hostetler & Hahn know this, I that could be one reason why Burger was the pick here.

Burger was the pick because the first ten selections did not break positively at all for the White Sox. Burger was probably the best remaining college bat on their board so they decided to roll with him. Hopefully he comes in underslot to save us some pool money, although I doubt it.

I hope he can command the strike zone in MLB because he looks like a Todd Frazier type without the elite glove to stick at 3B. His swing just looks awful to me from a fundamentals standpoint. He lunges and the way his lead arm straightens on his cocking mechanism certainly means he's going to struggle on inside fastballs.

That said, his production speaks for itself. We'll see if he can make the adjustments with his body and swing that will be needed to succeed at the MLB level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)

Cool... I'm happy for the kid. Saw him projected to go to Boston in some late mock drafts and at that moment thought, "Redsox will get a steal there."

While we didn't necessarily get a potential "steal" at #11... I hope we've got a solid bat that'll give us some much needed OPS for years to come.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
If we get Todd Frazier out of Burger, that is a pretty good win for the Sox. If we get Troy Glaus, buy Hostetler a drink or something, because that is a home run of a pick.

The Sox version of Todd Frazier?

If that's the hope from first round draft choices, then the Sox should trade them once it is allowed.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
The Sox version of Todd Frazier?

If that's the hope from first round draft choices, then the Sox should trade them once it is allowed.

2 time all star with an average .810 OPS over his first 4 full years in the league at controlled cost? Third place in Rookie of the Year voting? Yea, trade that before it even starts.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
2 time all star with an average .810 OPS over his first 4 full years in the league at controlled cost? Third place in Rookie of the Year voting? Yea, trade that before it even starts.

I said the Sox version of Todd Frazier....he hasn't delivered anything close to that on the Sox.

How about someone like Robin Ventura, who was drafted #10 and delivered an average OPS of over .800 over a 16 year career.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
I said the Sox version of Todd Frazier....he hasn't delivered anything close to that on the Sox.

How about someone like Robin Ventura, who was drafted #10 and delivered an average OPS of over .800 over a 16 year career.

That would be a top end kind of hope as Ventura was a borderline hall of famer by the end of his career.