Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
Its like the Sox are checking soxtalk and taking into consideration to what people are saying.

Lends to the idea that rabbit is actually in the war room.

Gonna go ahead and guess that people that scout baseball players for a living aren't taking any semblance of advice on anything anyone says on a message board.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
The only concern that I have so far with the draft is that it seems like the Sox FO still doesnt put a high priorty on defense. Really wanted to see that come through in this rebuild.

I assume there are probably very few players that are great with both offense and defense but still would like to have seen some more promising reports that guys that they take play exceptional defense.

Yeah, it does sort of seem like we're putting together beer league softball team, but hey, if they can hit...

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
Gonna go ahead and guess that people that scout baseball players for a living aren't taking any semblance of advice on anything anyone says on a message board.

You must really think I am an idiot. LOL

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
This draft as a whole is very very very promising

I'm really enjoying this draft too I can't wait to see what comes from the trades that are going to happen in the next month and a half.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
The only concern that I have so far with the draft is that it seems like the Sox FO still doesnt put a high priorty on defense. Really wanted to see that come through in this rebuild.

I assume there are probably very few players that are great with both offense and defense but still would like to have seen some more promising reports that guys that they take play exceptional defense.

Seems like most organizations think they have a better chance to coach up a player's defensive abilities than the hit tool.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)

Yes, this. It looks like a team that would look similar to Charlotte, with a lot of your best players are only average defensively. It does seem like for up the middle players we have some nice athleticism org wide in anderson, moncada, robert, Basabe along with some fundamentally sound guys in Sanchez, Saladino, and Mendick. And you see the same with Luis Gonzalez.

But the corner guys seem to lack that. But aside from Charlotte with Delmonico and Hayes, the corners are both bad hitting and defense. Getting some good hitting 3b and 1b is at least correcting one. Sheets defense wasn't considered a negative though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
It's the 7th round and the Sox got a top 50 prospect who was looked at as a first round pick at the beginning of the year and you're upset? It's a crapshoot. I like this crap compared to the others.

You'd have to think this would have been a solid value pick even a few rounds ago, let alone in the 7th round.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Hope the Ks are a fluke. Otherwise...yikes.

Compared to Skoug's first 2 years his high K's this year appears to be an aberration. He began the year really bad and if I remember correctly his K's were near 40-50% for at least his first month.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
so soon to be rounds 8-10. Wonder how many actual slot guys we can get, or if any are high schoolers. If we go high schooler I would imagine we may need to draft seniors 9 and 10

I am sure this is where the seniors start rolling in for the Sox, as that is how they have historically picked, unless they knows they have saved a few hundred K on Burger and Sheets.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)

Skoug is arguably less likely than Collins to end up sticking at catcher, but it never hurts to have depth an organizational options. In the seventh round getting a player like Skoug is a great get.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
I think the Sox have realized that you can teach defense more than you can teach command of the strike zone.

I really havent seen them do it though. I guess TA has gotten better and Collins seems to have gotten better but not sure I have a ton of faith in the Sox at developing guys defensively.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
It seems like Skoug will be extremely difficult to sign considering he fell as far as he did. How the hell are the Sox going to make it work with slot money on him?

My guess is that the White Sox have a pretty good feel for his demands, as well as knowing where they are approximately in how much they have spent on the draft so far.

Burger is a $4.2 million slot, Sheets 1.4m, Gonzalez is 640k, Henzmann 455k. All four were over drafted as compared to their projected draft slots. They could easily save some money there to move around to other spots in the draft.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
I really havent seen them do it though. I guess TA has gotten better and Collins seems to have gotten better but not sure I have a ton of faith in the Sox at developing guys defensively.

Flowers and TA are pretty good success stories.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
It seems like Skoug will be extremely difficult to sign considering he fell as far as he did. How the hell are the Sox going to make it work with slot money on him?

Skoug is a college junior, so he would be really rolling the dice by not accepting his 201K draft bonus slot for the 7th round.

If he gets injured or performs poorly, he will have zero leverage as a senior. I think he signs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
Always good to remember only two players didn't sign last year in the top ten rounds (iirc)

As a college Junior, you don't have a whole lot of leverage. If you go back to school and go pro as a senior you have zero leverage and pretty much have to take what you are offered, because you can't go back to school again. Signing as a Junior is a pretty important thing for a guy like this. Sure might be slotted at 200k now, but he could be forced into a 10k signing next year.