Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
FWIW, Cubs Reddit loves this. They say they got what they need and they're probably right. One guy was elated that they didn't need to use Schwarber, Happ or Baez. I would have been disappointed to see either of the top two switched out for any of those three.

It was a trade that has made the most sense for both teams for 7+ months now.

I am just thankful these two GMs were not afraid to make it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
I wouldn't have hated Happ over Cease, just because we need as many bats as we can get, but I am not at all disappointed.

You can never have too much pitching.

I LOVE that, barring FA signings or "buying" trades when our contention window starts, our 2020 rotation consists of the best of Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer, Rodon, Kopech, Dunning, Hansen, Flores, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Cease...

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Honest question....I had proposed Happ and Candelario. Which return is better? I liked them as I saw less risk as one MLB other AAA

Jimenez has the potential to be an absolute stud. Could be a middle of the order power bat, potential allstar.

Just omg wow. This definitely bitter sweet, more sweet than bitter, but out of losing Sale, Eaton and Q, I would say Q is definitely the hardest to let go for me.

Going to be SO weird seeing Q pitch against the Sox, and can you imagine what it must be like for him to pitch against us after being traded just a few weeks prior? And if it is at Sox Park...it's gonna be soo weirddd.

Edited by Scoots

We were all drooling over the thought of getting Acuna or Maitan from the Braves only to be shot down by a few Braves posters (thanks for participating!) that it wan't going to happen.

Well we might have just done better than either of them.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
We were all drooling over the thought of getting Acuna or Maitan from the Braves only to be shot down by a few Braves posters (thanks for participating!) that it wan't going to happen.

Well we might have just done better than either of them.

Jimenez is by far the best prospect that was offered to the White Sox. Prospects like him only get traded in major blockbusters.

I'm thrilled with this return. It's as much as Sox fans could have possibly hoped for.

Cubs not needing to offload any of their current 25 roster talent is a win for them. They are back in LatAm game where they performed well.

Longterm I'd take Jimenez over happ, but they are getting quintana for next 2 years (at least) for their championship window.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
Cubs not needing to offload any of their current 25 roster talent is a win for them. They are back in LatAm game where they performed well.

Longterm I'd take Jimenez over happ, but they are getting quintana for next 2 years (at least) for their championship window.

And there's also the looming possibility of them going after Harper

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
And there's also the looming possibility of them going after Harper

Him and Bryant will both want deals in the neighborhood of 35-40m/year. Is that possible? Don't forget extensions for guys like Rizzo, Baez, Happ, Contreras, etc in the future.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Jimenez is by far the best prospect that was offered to the White Sox. Prospects like him only get traded in major blockbusters.

I'm thrilled with this return. It's as much as Sox fans could have possibly hoped for.

I agree with you on that - but some feel Acuna could be #1 prospect soon.

I'll take the power that Jimenez provides over Acuna's overall game.

Love the deal and Cease is a GREAT second piece. More than I thought they could get.

I can't get over one thing, and it's kind of bitter sweet fortune but it is fortune:

There are a bunch of teams on the precipice of tear down rebuilds in Blue Jays/Giants/Tigers/Pirates and Royals. Not this year but next 2 years. We obviously had some special, signed pieces BUT

We were offloading with the best pieces at a time when we were the ONLY team doing it, and during a time where the top contenders also had the top farms (due to their rebuild). Those contenders have basically exhausted their top guys, all to the white sox.

The tigers/etc are going to have to offload with the next group of rising teams which happen to be much more mid-market. They may be more like Pirates, who will be stuck in needing to consistently fill their MLB team with cheap talent, and can't rely on big budgets for their holes.

We struck at a really, really good time.

Let's hope it panned out!

The Houston #Astros were involved in talks for Quintana, but never came close to offering the package the #Cubs offered to the #Whitesox

--Nightengale

SO glad to be done pining for the Astros to like what we had. Hope they fail now (even though i like so much of what theyve done)